Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 7,129 Words
  • 1,103 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Exodus - 7. Week One: May 31st, 2030

Log May 31st 2030, Military Commander, Brett Monroe, 0600 hours

I haven’t seen Myrden cry so much ever since Felix died. He was completely broken by Patrick’s suicide. He tried to be un-biased during this investigation, but it was to the detriment of a young man’s life. CID officers were trained to investigate military guys, who have gone through rigorous mental training; the CID has to be tough on suspects as any less would create no results. He did his job as he was taught to do, but I know he made a very big mistake in questioning Patrick. I can’t absolve him, but I do understand.

Patrick wrote a suicide letter saying that he had a big fight with Miguel the night before his murder. Patrick wrote Miguel had agreed to break it off with Karen as he loved Patrick too much to let their relationship go. Miguel had admitted to him that he had issues due to the “therapy” treatments, but he knew that he truly loved Patrick.

We also finally got verification from Tim, who had talked to Miguel; Miguel was asking him for advice to break up with Karen.

Karen still denies that she killed Miguel, but I think it was her. Patrick must have realized that he was the reason Miguel died. If Patrick hadn’t asked Miguel to break it off, it wouldn’t have set off Karen to kill him.

These kids are deeply disturbed by years of abuse and war on their very nature.

It doesn’t help to have a bunch of bisexuals among us adding salt to old wounds. I told Ben before we left Earth that the same facts which incorporate them into our population would be a bad idea.

I’m not a bigot; I know the bisexual population suffered along with us through the purges. It isn’t like I wanted to leave people behind either, but the facts were there. I knew what Abigail and Susan were thinking. However, if we let our emotions override common sense, then we are doomed.

We’ve already lost two good kids on this journey due to that mistake. I’ve heard from the industrial production ship that some of the kids have started dividing into rival camps and things are deteriorating. Some are demanding justice be done for Miguel and Patrick through executing Karen on both counts as murder. The bisexual community calls it discrimination as there’s no formal evidence that Karen killed anyone. Arguments are flaring up.

Without Eli, there is no moderation between the extreme voices. Even though Eli might not be the model voice of reason he usually can see the merits of both sides and get people to work together.

If this situation keeps building then the fleet as a whole will be affected. We left earth to avoid prejudice only to discover prejudice among us.

(***)

 

Karen had been questioned several times by Brett, who personally took over the investigation as Myrden felt that he could not keep calm in the same room as Karen. Ben sent Myrden to Susan for evaluation as he feared for his safety.

Ben remained with Brett during the interrogation; ostensibly it was for moral support, but he wanted to protect Karen from any retribution that Brett might inflict during his questioning. Ben knows Brett very well, including every lifetime that Brett has lived. Brett is an honorable man but he is also prone to quick decisions. These judgments serve him well on the battlefield where tactical decision making should always outweigh any order from a superior if it can bring victory. In the field of governance and law it is dangerous to allow rash judgment.

“Listen, you bitch. I want you to admit to killing Miguel, now” Brett furiously screamed as he had reached the end of his patience.

“I have rights. I didn’t kill Miguel. Maybe Patrick killed him and just committed suicide out of guilt?” Karen posed without any sign of guilt or regret.

Brett was about to strike her but Ben held him back, “Brett, I want you to leave this room and cool off. I will talk to Karen.”

“She’s a cold calculating bitch, Ben. Don’t you see that? She was able to dispose of the weapon and any trace of evidence about Miguel’s murder. How can you stand there with a monster across from you?” Brett said angrily glaring at Karen.

“I have to my friend. Now, please leave and go to the medical ship where Miguel’s body is being examined,” Ben said with strength in his voice that calmed and directed Brett. Brett left the room.

“Ben, you got to believe that I didn’t do it; I’m innocent,” Karen pleaded.

Ben saw what had happened to Miguel through his inner self and knew the truth.

“Should we do this?” Ben asked his inner self.

“Nothing else would be correct in this case,” his inner self exclaimed as Ben began.

“What are you doing Ben?” Karen screamed in her mind.

(Living Memories)

 

“Where am I?” Karen asked with a stunned expression

A voice said, “Inside the memories of ALL your victims. You don’t have to lie to me Karen; I saw what you did to Miguel. You still feel no remorse for killing him or creating the chain of events that led to Patrick’s death. In the outside world they could merely kill you, but you would learn nothing from such actions. In memories, time has no meaning; only seconds shall pass as you relive the lives of Miguel and Patrick with reflection on your deeds.”

Karen expression changed, “You can’t get me to admit to anything; you and Brett must have drugged me or something. This little fantasy world is not real.”

At those words the world around them took shape and she saw herself in the past pouring poison into Miguel’s thermos of tea. As part of Eli’s advanced engineering team she had access to chemical compounds and toxic material which could be reconfigured by nanites in building materials. With her advanced knowledge of computer programming she could destroy or override any record of gathering the poisonous compounds.

“What the hell. You can’t possibly be seeing this.” Karen said as she thought the images were merely to get her to reveal the crime to Ben.

“We see you pouring poison into the thermos while Miguel is distracted. You are wearing a red dress shirt with brown pants. Also, you also have on a pair of white women’s style sneakers with a streak of green,” Ben’s inner self replied.

“Nice try, but I didn’t kill anyone and you can’t prove anything…” Karen said but she was stopped by a sudden rush of pain emanating from her abdomen as the memory had gone forward to the death of Miguel, “…What is this?”

“It is the poison that you gave Miguel; it is very painful, but you cannot die from that pain. Do you doubt us now?” Ben’s inner self said

Karen couldn’t respond due to the intensity of the pain and agony that she was feeling.

However, her pain disappeared suddenly and a new background surrounded her.

“You’re fucked up; why are you torturing me?” Karen asked with anger as she tried to lunge at Ben to no avail.

“I did that to make a point about the connections and revelations that exist in here. Now, I want to show you something,” Ben’s inner self said and pointed to a pair of 10 and 11 year old boys.

The setting had changed to an inquisitional chamber of moral crimes. The Synod had established many local branches of these chambers to supplement the “official” criminal and civil justice systems.

“Is that Miguel and Patrick?” Karen asked.

“Yes. This was their sexual deviancy hearing,” Ben’s inner self said as the voices in the room could be heard.

“So Patrick, you consider Miguel your boyfriend?” the inquisitor asked a skinny red headed boy.

A young Patrick nodded with a slight trembling sensation.

“Liar. He’s a liar, Father Holloway. Miguel only has a 0.3 expression of the gay gene left after the genetic treatment at birth which makes it improbable to develop homosexual relations. This boy, Patrick, has never received treatment due to his parents’ unorthodox practices. The genetic tests show he is a 0.8 expressive. Please don’t take our son from us based on the actions of this degenerate,” Miguel’s mother implored Revered Father Thomas Holloway who oversaw the Synod’s local placement proceedings.

The title “Revered Father” is a mid level position in the Synod hierarchy derived from the combined Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant faiths after the Great Integration during the war in the Middle East. Ironic as during the Crusades in the 13th century AD, a brief dialogue and integration of Orthodox and Catholicism had occurred in order to counter the power of the Islamic faith in the holy land. Eight centuries later a devastating war with Islamic faith created the foundations for a complete consensus between the divided factions.

“We did nothing wrong,” Miguel said in a high pitch voice. He had a childlike appearance with barely any hint that puberty was coming about.

“According to the reports from your neighbor, who had seen you two through an open window, you were engaged in oral sex. It is against god’s law for a man’s sexual organ to be used in such a way,” the inquisitor responded.

“I’m only a boy, I don’t think God would mind,” Miguel said back.

“Blasphemy! You see, Revered Father, this boy must be purged. Both must be sent to a sexual purification center where God’s work can be done,” the inquisitor angrily argued.

Ben looked at the two boys; they were destined to be lovers but a cruel system of intolerance interceded with such a cruel fate. In another world and time, they might have started their relationship and it could have blossomed.

Karen was felt the full weight of the anxiety from both boys.

“Why the hell are we here?” Karen asked.

“Watch and feel what they felt,” Ben’s inner self said

The hearing continued with arguments from both sides. Miguel’s mother didn’t want her son to leave her. She kept blaming Patrick, who was already sentenced to treatment, for coercing her son. Miguel was determined to stay with Patrick as he did not want to lose his “special” friend. Miguel’s words and action undermined his mother’s placating defense and strengthened the prosecuting inquisitor’s position.

Before long, Revered Father Holloway was ready to make his decision abruptly as he saw no other option.

“By the authority given by the Synod through which the divine providence of Almighty God is present on Earth, there is proper cause to suspect an abominable perversion. The two standing before this august office, Patrick Quinn and Miguel Santos, shall be remanded to the custody of the Synod’s divine mercy through purification. If they shall continue to persist with such actions and behaviors after treatment then their mortal forms shall be delivered unto God for judgment,” Father Holloway delivered his ruling.

A sudden wave of sadness and fear engulfed Patrick and Miguel which caused Karen to quake with the emotional torrent.

“You have been through one of these hearings yourself, Karen, when your mother abandoned you to the tender mercies of the Synod. You were willing to say anything and do anything, including listing out the names of past girlfriends and gay males that had confided in you. Look upon Miguel and Patrick. They were afraid to be sent away but both remained defiant against the wishes of the twisted dogmatic inquisition,” Ben’s inner self said in a heavy voice.

“Who are you to judge me? There are others in your fleet that listed names and betrayed friends during those purges. I did what I had to do for survival,” Karen spitefully responded after feeling the agony from the two boys.

“Each person acted as they did with remorse or guilt over their actions under extreme pressure. You never had those emotions because you never felt any guilt over your actions. You have never understood remorse which is why you need this; if not for this lifetime then for others to follow,” Ben’s inner self replied.

“Are you trying to save my immortal soul? Don’t you think that is hypocrisy after fighting against the Synod, who basically tried to do the same?” Karen blasted in anger and frustration.

“I’m not here to save your soul nor force you to become anything. I am merely showing you the life of your victims. You should understand the full extent of your actions and learn why people feel remorse for their actions,” Ben’s inner self addressed with a stern tone.

The setting changed.

In a dark lit room with an irregular chair at its center, Miguel sat silently as images floated into his sight while drugs were administered intravenously and electrodes were buzzing to stimulate different nerve centers of his brain. In consideration, bisexual conversion treatment is a derivative of the 20th century based treatments. With drug costs brought down through manufacturing expediency and energy costs a fraction of the old rates, these therapy sessions were made possible.

“Why are we here? You want to show me the tender mercies of the Synod? Well, I remember it; those bastards had me in the same chair. So what if Miguel had went through the same treatment. It should have only made him see things from my point of view,” Karen spoke feeling the discomfort emanating from Miguel who was seated with wires and needles embedded in his body.

Miguel had been in this chair for 24 hours straight without food or water; his mind was stimulated by the drugs and electrodes that engaged his endorphins. For an 11 year old boy this type of torture would be incredibly harsh to endure, but there was more to the process. Projectors were synched to the chairs’ disbursement mechanism of pain and pleasure. When there were images of girls or women in various stages of undress, drug and electrodes stimulate pleasure. When there were images of boys or men in various stages of undress, drugs and electrodes stimulate pain.

This process was not revolutionary; aversion therapy adherents and the 20th governments of the Rwanda, Sudan, Soviet Union, along with other nations have tested this combination on their youths with modest success.

“Look upon the heart and mind of your victim; you may learn something about yourself from him,” Ben echoed with a defining tone.

In Miguel’s heart there was still reluctance to give up the memory of Patrick. In his mind there was confusion and despair. He hung on to his love due to his memories.

“I don’t get it. His mind is saying that he likes girls but he’s still harboring feelings for Patrick. Why is he still feeling something for that cunt Patrick? What makes him so special that Miguel will keep him in heart despite knowing what the Synod will keep doing to him? I went through the same shit; it just made me realize that I can’t love anyone completely. Are you telling me that they were some kind of soul mates and I just happened to be unlucky to never find anyone?” Karen yelled as the agony of the duality was breaking her mind and soul apart.

“Karen, you did have a close friend, but you betrayed him to the Synod. Don’t you remember?” Ben’s inner self spoke and the background changed again.

It was another inquisitional chamber. A teenage boy of 11 was standing in front of another inquisitor. However, Karen knew exactly where they were.

“Don’t you dare put me here. I don’t want to see this again,” Karen pleaded.

Ben remained silent as he looked upon a younger version of Karen making her deposition.

“Karen, tell Revered Father Andrew what you know about Robert Cummings,” the inquisitor prodded her.

The young 12 years old Karen was scared. She had been caught earlier in the year by her parents with a female friend, Nicole Sykes, as they were kissing each other. Karen had known Robby since he was 5 years old and she had secretly harbored a crush for him, but she knew that he was merely a close friend as he was infatuated with Simon. Karen accepted that truth as she also enjoyed the sexual experimentation with Nicole. Although Robby could never love her physically, as he knew that he was likely a high expressive homosexual; he still treated Karen as his closest friend.

Karen did not want to betray Robby, but those long hours of “therapy” had brought her mind into confusion. She no longer knew what she wanted rather than what was expected of her. Throughout the process, it was not the pleasure with Nicole that she kept in her thoughts as those went away with time. It was the memories and hatred that developed towards her best friend, Robby. In her mind she shunned him for not being with her.

“I…I….I know he has been engaging in sexual behavior with Simon. He’s an abomination before God,” the young Karen said.

“Bless you Karen. Your sentence shall be reduced to second level cognitive therapy,” Revered Father Andrew responded to the information.

The scene brought Robby to tears as he saw his best friend and most trusted confidante betray him. The feelings of pain and longing were extremely strong as if the world had completely disappeared for Robby. Yet, Robby did not blame her and he still cared for her immensely as much as his partner Simon, who stood beside him with anguish at the betrayal.

The setting changed again. This time Simon was standing before Robby with a gun. Through the memories that Karen had acquired, Simon had been successfully “converted” in two years through the harshest torture imaginable. Robby had resisted treatment; though, his mind had been clouded. He fought each step and was able to counter the psychological torture by remembering Karen as a reason to fight for who he was.

Robby accepted his fate as his 16th birthday would mark his death. His remaining thoughts were of Simon and Karen as they used to be. There was great sadness as he knew that both were lost to him but he still loved both in his own memory.

Karen felt everything that Robby felt and wept with her first thought of remorse, “He did care about me. Why couldn’t he just be with me? If you say everyone has someone to love, then why didn’t he love me?”

“Love isn’t found merely in one shape or form; there are millions of shades. In one lifetime you may be lovers in the traditional sense. In another lifetime you may be mother and daughter with undying maternal love. You may even be best friends and still have friendly love. What you call soul mates is much more than sexual lovers with whom you may share a temporal bond. It is a truth that was lost upon you which has lingered into the present. You killed Miguel, because you thought he had betrayed you just like Robby. Yet, neither wished you any malice, only peace and hope.” Ben’s inner self explained, which Ben also took note.

If love isn’t merely a relationship between two people at this moment and time then you are not bound by a lifetime’s limitations. Ben finally understood what his inner self was telling him in the case of Eli and Brian. They are soul mates with a destiny to remain close to one another; to protect each other from harm, and to love in their own way.

“Why are things so unequal? If two people were lovers in one lifetime then why couldn’t they simply remain that forever?” Karen asked.

“It is the journey that defines us, not the course nor the destination. The variety of interactions adds to this journey’s knowledge and experience while the connections to our pasts establish our individuality,” Ben’s inner self said.

(Back to the room)

 

Karen breathed out heavily; her mind was exhausted from the images and memories that she had seen.

“Was all that real?” Karen asked as she pinched herself in the arm.

“I really don’t know, but I do hope it taught you a lesson about living in another person’s shoes. You knew Miguel had lingering issues due to the psychological therapy. Your relationship wasn’t real. You killed him because he could not love you just as you kept harboring your hatred for Alex Cummings. At least you are ready to move on,” Ben spoke with a somber tone.

“I’m sorry to everyone in the fleet and everyone that has cared about me. Please forgive me,” Karen expressed with complete remorse.

Perhaps there may still be hope for her.

(***)

 

“I don’t want Carrie and James joining us for the ceremony of the new ships,” 18 year old Julian Rollins said to his 17 year old lover Fredrick Lancaster.

“Jules, they were part of the original design team like us,” Fred said.

“So was Karen, Miguel, and Patrick,” Julian added.

“Jules, they got nothing to do with what Karen did. You know that. James has issue with Adam, like Miguel had with Patrick. Carrie wasn’t forcing herself on James like Karen did. Adam likes Carrie too. Professionally, you know that Carrie was the one to develop the secondary hatches on the new medical ship to serve as auxiliary ports. She’s really smart and I bet she understands that James might one day leave her for Adam, but she’s happy to be part of their lives,” Fred replied.

“I know, but I…I…I just feel uncomfortable with them,” Julian said, trying to hid his true feelings from his lover.

Fred was no fool and knew exactly what Julian feared, “You’re afraid that I might end up with a girl instead of you, because I have been through the same treatment and I’m not a high expressive either. Jules, genetics are only one part of the equation; I love you and only you for as long as I remembered. When, I was rescued alongside you; you were the first person I wanted to be with. You were there when Susan helped me undo the conditioning and we’ve been together for 5 years now. I won’t ever leave you unless I’m dead.”

Julian thought about those words over in his mind. He knew that his fear was unfounded, but he feared the lost of his love. Although he was rescued earlier than Fred; he had never loved anyone other than him. He couldn’t bear any arrangement like the one Miguel and Patrick had or James and Adam have.

A sudden chime came from the door that ended Julian’s deep thoughts.

With a view of the entry cam, Fred authorized the door to open.

“Hey guys, I hope we’re not bothering you,” Dexter said with Felix, his partner, at his side. Both were aged 14 and being taught by Fred during their rotation.

“Nah, we’re just talking about the ceremony,” Fred responded.

“Cool. We just wanted some advice,” Felix said with a bit of fear.

Dexter saw his partner’s reluctance to speak, so he took the initiative, “There are some people onboard that have been acting differently toward bi’s ever since what happened to Miguel and Patrick. I don’t know if Karen did it or not, but I don’t want people to be treated differently just ‘cause they are not like us. Everyone heard the speech Ben made a couple nights ago, but Felix and I don’t think that everyone knows what’s at risk with this behavior. We were hoping you might step up to help calm people.”

Fred looked towards Julian for a response. Fred wanted to help these two boys, but he knew that Julian had reservations.

Julian didn’t want to lie to these boys, “Guys, I do have similar feelings to the others on this ship. I love Fred a lot and I know he loves me, too. Sometimes I fear that he might leave me due to his genetic expression. I realize now that, other than a handful of people, most of us are not 100% homosexuals. My fear is most likely the same fear everyone else has due to our long and harsh history with heterosexual practices. I know it is wrong to feel this way, but I still do. I know that Fred would want to help you guys out, but he knows I’m reluctant with these feelings too. Even with all my issues, Fred and I will speak against it. We’ll also get Brian to talk about this issue after his arrival back from the medical ship today.”

(***)

 

“I don’t hear many jokes coming from you today, Brett” Susan said at her old friend.

“I’m in no mood to joke, Susan,” Brett addressed her with heavy burdened tone.

Susan had noticed Brett’s torment when he came to her after leaving Ben on the industrial production ship to seek a report on Myrden. Myrden was equally tortured and tried to hide his guilt well, but Susan was no amateur. Susan had been referred to Myrden due to the heavy psychological strain that Patrick’s death had on him from the other counselors.

“Brett, I’ve known you for years; you’re affected when something like this happens on your watch. You can talk to me or maybe Bob or Gail like you had in the past,” Susan said as she tried to reason with her friend.

“I know I will have to see you guys; it was bullshit that Patrick had to commit suicide on my watch. Everyone knew he was probably innocent,” Brett said as his rage flared.

“No, no one knew for certain he was innocent; I had the feeling that he was innocent as I personally handled Miguel and Patrick. Patrick would never hurt Miguel and Miguel would never hurt Patrick either. I know Karen has been reluctant to undergo any more psych evaluations after her initial sessions to help alleviate the programming from the Synod. Even I couldn’t point fingers,” Susan answered with assurance.

“You know what caused this mess? It was introducing the bi’s into the fleet against my early warning. Imagine if this had happened with us decades from Cygnus, we would have even worse turmoil,” Brett angrily asserted.

Susan was fazed by Brett’s angry assertion, but she understood his reason, “I know you still have an issues over that argument. Brett, not everyone is a perfect 100% homosexual. There is nothing wrong with bi’s.”

“I know there’s nothing wrong with them. I know not everyone is perfect and most people in the fleet are highly expressive already. I keep saying to myself that I’m not a bigot and I could be un-biased in the way I act, but it’s just…” Brett couldn’t find the words to express his feelings.

Izzy was hearing all this and he knew Brett needed some objective truths, “Uncle Brett, you are being bigoted against bi’s just cause they exist. What Karen did was an exception, not the rule. For a long time Heterosexuals have made the same claims against us for disrupting their society because we’re different. You know this fact. Why do you still feel like this?”

Brett knew what he was feeling is wrong, but he still felt a dislike for bisexuals even with those true words, “I…I…I know Izzy, but I can’t deny that life would be easier without them in the fleet. Knowing that there is real harm to everyone around with their presence is different than what the Synod or their heterosexual adherents believed.”

Susan didn’t want to push Brett too far due to their friendship, but she understood Izzy’s renitence to Brett’s notion. She knew Izzy was right to oppose such a singular view but she also felt equal blame for what happened with Karen, Miguel, and Patrick. She allowed their names to go for lottery in order to be allowed passage on the fleet. She championed the inclusion of bisexuals with Abigail at the reluctance of Greg and Brett. She’s heard the same things about Eli’s industrial production ship as the rest of the fleet; division and repudiation were occurring. Given time this type of division can become everything that they tried to leave behind on earth.

While Brett knew he was wrong, he couldn’t admit that truth due to what has happened. Susan was unwilling to tell Brett he was wrong to believe that truth as she felt that it was her sympathetic meddling that allowed it to happen. Izzy was unwilling to yield to such notions that ran counter to his own philosophy on life, the same philosophies that allowed him to survive after being converted by the Synod.

At the impasse, a loud voice could be heard from the adjoining room, “Where’s the Dyke and Fag? I’m getting bored in here.”

Trying to change the subject, Brett joked “Well, at least he’s acting like a normal teenager who’s starved for attention.”

Before going to Billy’s room, Susan told Brett to go see Counselor Deanna, who was working with Myrden.

(***)

 

Brian had been keeping watch over Eli for the entire night and early morning. There had been sporadic conversation between Brian and Eli, but both settled into silence for a very long time. Brian blames himself for causing Eli’s discomfort, while Eli was trying to figure out what to say to Brian.

Brian had heard from communications with Julian from the Industrial production ship that things were going badly. Patrick’s suicide and the animosity between high expressive homosexuals and low expressive bisexuals were affecting everything. Jobs that should’ve taken an hour to complete were being held back, because certain people in the design team didn’t want to work with others. An additional military contingent had been placed onboard at Brett’s orders, which is keeping the peace; but the core issue remained unsolved. Brian knew that he had to ask Eli for help but he was afraid after the last time.

Eli had just finished reading his favorite novel, Of Mice and Men, and glanced at Brian. Brian wanted to say so much but there were words that he couldn’t say. He didn’t bring any of his personal belongings except a small sketch pad. When he has a lot of things to think about, he would always draw. It was his detailed drawings that caught the eye of Eli, who saw something in there that reminded him of Alex.

Eli knew that Brian had something on his mind, so he posited a question, “What you drawing Brian?”

Brian glanced up at his mentor, “I…umm…am just trying to draw a sketch of Miguel and Patrick.”

Eli’s mind was working through everything and knew what had happened, “So, Patrick is dead too; I wish I had talked to him, maybe it would have made a difference.”

Brian nodded his head at the skillful capacity of Eli’s deductive mind.

Eli saw that there was more, “Something else came out of this incident, too?” Eli glanced at Brian with a despairing frown, “Myrden was right to worry“.

“I don’t know what to do about it without you Eli. Julian told me what was happening a few hours ago and asked me to speak against the division between gays and bi’s. It is really horrible that after everything we’ve been through, people can turn against one another like that. Patrick’s suicide made this thing impossible to contain. I don’t know what to tell them,” Brian candidly said.

Eli smiled, “Brian, just tell them what you said right now. You’re not Ben, so don’t try making a grandiose speech; just tell them where things are. Big speeches are great for inspiring people towards a direction; a few honest words are great for making people see the truth.”

“I wish I could be more like Ben. When I was coming here; we saw each other and in a few words he helped assure me that you would never stop loving me. I don’t know how he could do that but it was what I needed,” Brian replied.

Eli nodded knowingly, “Ben has always been able to inspire. You know Ben’s dad, Kevin, was bisexua0, too. People have a hard time accepting the fact that you can be involved with multiple partners with equal love, and some with a possessive attitude will feel uncomfortable with bisexuals as friends or lovers. Alex and I loved Kevin; he loved us, too. Even though, he loved his wife, Sam; we still maintained a relationship with each other. Our relationship was complicated but it was filled with love. Sam never resented us; she embraced us as friends and loved us in her own way. That reality is what everyone needs to know, not the fear or bitterness that is consuming them now.”

Brian nodded and slowly approached Eli. Brian felt a strange surge of emotion and placed his lips on Eli’s forehead for a small kiss.

“Thank you, E.L.” Brian said which brought a sudden smile from Eli. Eli was happy to be reminded of Alex; even though, he never told Brian about his old nickname. There was a strange sense of déjà vu, but it felt good.

(***)

 

“John told me that you know basically everything, so do you know the meaning of life?” Andy asked with his usual jocular manner.

Nessus through the pod had identified everyone from the past that was onboard, including Andy and John. Nessus was musing that Andy’s past self had always been his friend and confidante; it seems like time has not changed him. Andy’s past self was very intelligent and could be relied upon to think of things outside the box.

“I don’t know everything, but my father basically taught me the meaning of life,” Nessus said.

Andy was intrigued, “Ness, I think everyone wants to know the meaning of life and everyone has their own version. I remember Ben telling me, when we were college roommates.”

“My dad said that to me, which I wasn’t satisfied with. I kept pushing him to tell me the real meaning of life,” Nessus knowingly replied.

“Why would your dad know the meaning of life more than anyone else,” Andy asked.

Nessus knew Andy would keep the secret until the time was right and he understood Ben’s needs for the coming struggle, “He’s been alive since the beginning of this universe, and before.”

Andy was perplexed “umm…don’t tell me you can walk on water or make water into wine.”

Nessus was being very serious about this subject, “He’s not a deity, nor all powerful like what your religions believe. My people don’t have that type of belief system; we hold knowledge and truth as our core beliefs rather than an almighty being or beings. You can say that he helped contribute to that idea. He guided not only my species, but also several other species throughout time. Some have gone pass this level of existence and have joined him in embracing the concept of helping new species reach a higher level of understanding. He’s unique as a life form.”

Andy was astounded to hear of such beings, “You will have to forgive me, but human beings have never encountered such a being or beings. If he was present on earth, then maybe the Synod’s ideology would not have gained power.”

“There is a reason for what happened to you on earth. Another species, holding a parallel belief system, influenced humanity during my people’s time to the present. The religions that are present on earth are partially their creations. They believe that stability should be the goal of any species and growth should only occur at their behest. Control and hierarchy are the basis of their meaning of life,” Nessus answered pointedly.

“Then, how do you know which version of “the meaning of life” is correct? I am biased and side with your father, but the Synod’s version has a lot of appeal for people. Also, it seems like your father’s side has also influenced other species with his ideals, putting him in a position of power as well,” Andy asked openly. As the conversation had progressed, Andy’s spiritual side was being drawn into the open.

Nessus smiled and remembered the answer, “Listen…”

There was silence for a long time.

Andy understood the meaning, “The universe answers the question by showing inaction. I get it; if everything were to be controlled, then there should be answers readily available. However, if all answers remain to be discovered, then experience is the right choice to seek them. The meaning of life is individually discovered, but it is also generally unknown.”

Nessus nodded and added one thing his father told him, “It doesn’t mean that the other side is wrong with their assertion in a higher being or beings which may have began this universe. My father told me that he actually believed that there was something behind his own creation and all that followed, but said that the answer was not for me to know yet.”

Andy was fascinated by this boy, “Well, with meaning of life answered, I wanted to ask an even more serious question. How did your people…umm…"do it", if you know what I mean?”

Nessus gave out his first laugh in over two hundred thousand years.

 

(***)

 

The ceremony for the hospital ship was about to begin. It was an odd collection; the designers, engineers, and the leadership council were in attendance. The ship wasn’t made for large gatherings so everyone was disbursed and touring separate sections.

This scene created a lot of confusion.

“Susan, where’s Doctor Abbot?” Abigail asked her beleaguered partner.

“Shit, he went to the dermal regeneration facility on level 48B. I forgot that he was supposed to deliver the first speech today,” Susan said as she frantically tried to get everything under control. Unlike the opening ceremony on the administrative command ship, this event was not planned far ahead of time.

Izzy and Bobby were also running around the ship trying to get everyone into place for ceremony. They hadn’t seen each other in days and barely said a word to each other in the last few hours.

Ben was helping get everything organized and looked upon Brian, who was with another boy, aged 16-17.

Ben’s inner self knew the boy and gave his conscious mind what amounted to a smile.

Brian came over to Ben, “Hey Ben, I need to talk about some stuff tonight before everything begins.”

Ben nodded, “Okay, Brian, you can speak first; I’ll let Abigail and Susan know. By the way, can I ask who the nice boy next to you is?”

Brian was a bit nervous but he felt reassured by the boy standing by his side, “His name is David Knox; he’s on rotation right now with the agricultural ship.”

Ben smiled back at the beaming lovers.

Ben’s mind was buzzing with interesting questions. Does David remember the instructions that he left for him? Does he know how to handle the delicate nature of relationships between Brian, Eli, Ben, and himself?

“Hello Mr. Cross. I’m glad to be here with Brian; you can call me Davey or DK. Don’t worry, I’ll take good care of him,” David said with a knowing smile that answered all of Ben’s questions.

Ben was about to converse further, but he had to talk to Abigail and Susan about the ceremony, so he left both boys with an assuring pat on the shoulder.

Brian breathed out a sigh of relief, “Thanks for being with me D.K. I know that I was being pretty mean by trying to hide you from Eli and everyone.”

David understood Brian’s reasoning; he learned the complex reality between Alex and Eli, along with many other things about himself, during an experiment by the Synod’s conversion program. He intended to reawake his memories at this point in time like Ben, but the experiments had awakened his memories early. Romantic relationships between lifetimes are a messy business; Kevin or Ben had been in Brian and Eli’s lives every time that he came back to Earth, so it was simpler for them to be connected. David and Brian’s connection dates back to the first time that they left earth for Cygnus, when Eli was also involved with Brian’s previous form. David was overjoyed to meet Brian again and knew that there was still a spark, but Brian’s fears were keeping them apart.

“Don’t worry dude. I understand that you needed some space to find yourself,” David reassured him.

Brian happily kissed David, “Now comes the really hard part. How can I convince everyone?”

“I know you can,” David replied earnestly.

Everyone was assembled at the Symposium area, where demonstrations for medical specialties would usually be held. The entire area was converted into a temporary ceremony area.

Ben remarked to Susan about the changes in speaking schedules and asked for a live broadcast of Brian’s words throughout the fleet.

“Are you sure Ben?” Susan asked

Ben simply nodded as he knew that Brian’s words were needed to help alleviate this bitter divide. It might not end with his words, but it would at least help people realize the sinister nature of such a division.

The last guest to arrive was Eli with Bobby as his personal nurse. His appearance greatly boosted Brian’s confidence as he began to approach the center of the room to make his remarks.

Brian was nervous, but the supportive smiles from his friends, family, and lover gave him support, “Hello everyone. Before we begin the ceremony, I want to talk to you all about the problem on the industrial production ship. I know you all heard what happened between Miguel’s murder, Patrick’s suicide, and Karen’s involvement. Some of you guys have been putting blame on low expressive bisexuals because it seems like the thing to do. I feel that it’s wrong to judge by a person’s attributes as a reason to hate them. Why did we have to leave earth? It was because people judged us on our sexual attributes, too. I don’t know what to say to convince you that it is wrong, but I hope you understand that not everyone is perfect. I’m not like Ben; I don’t have the words of comfort. I just want everyone to know how bad things really are and hope you won’t make it worse by spreading hate.”

A silence filled the room and throughout the fleet, then a series of applause came from Eli, David, Ben, Izzy, and Bobby. Another series of applause came from Susan, Abigail, Myrden, and Brett, who were moved by Brian’s impassioned call for reconciliation.

Copyright © 2011 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..