Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 2,283 Words
  • 1,391 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Exodus - 9. Genesis: The Truth Part 1 of 4

I am not sure how many people read Exodus or how many truly understand the complex concepts that are within the story. Everything thus far is nothing compared to what will be introduced in this unique collection of tales within this universe. It examines the characters deeper and encourages the reader to dream.

We live in amazing times, where the dreams of previous generations have been achieved through the wonder of science. Exodus points out this fact in the many ways that technology has developed in this universe to make life easier and it has become a part of our humanity. However, there is a duality to progress as human application of knowledge has created a void in human sympathy. Knowledge without wisdom never solved the core issues of our humanity: prejudice, intolerance, and fear. Instead, it encouraged our arrogance and pride to the point where humanity would use technology to eradicate everything that they disliked.

I hope this story serves not as a warning, nor a tragic footnote of history to come. I hope it serves as inspiration for everyone to achieve the lofty goals beyond our human limitations

 

(December 24th 2010, Friday)

December in New England has always been a beautiful sight. The snow covered landscape created images of childhood merriment. The smell of home cooking and sight of plastic old Saint Nick filled everyone with thoughts of Christmas with family and friends.

Except, the poor office dwellers stuck in their miniscule offices or worse, cubicles. Their lives are filled with an endless list of work. Even if they had families, their days do not revolve around their loved ones. The last few decades of work balance programs were forgotten, especially during the holiday season. It is their last chance to seek promotions or the almighty holiday bonus that they depend on. It was not merely the money that drives this focus on work performance; it was the need of human beings to create meaning for their efforts. Socrates once said that a life of meaning would not be a wasted life; however, mankind has the blurred the line of meaning. Meaning extends further than mere performance or achievements.

At first, Jeff Alan thought he found his meaning. The chance meeting at the party had been merely the beginning. He and Ben found themselves inseparably linked to each other. There was an unsaid bond that both knew existed between them. However, as Jeff was very open and secure with his sexuality, Ben was more reserved. Ben never met Jeff out in the open with affection even as many other couples of different backgrounds and gender combination did. In Jeff’s mind, he was questioning why he would be so involved with such a man, who cannot be honest with himself. He had boyfriends in the past that were closet cases and he knew no relationship could develop from these people. Yet, there was something different about Benjamin Cross. Jeff wanted to believe in Ben.

 

As Christmas approached, Jeff was prepared to head back home with his sister, Abigail, and her girlfriend, Susan. Jeff agreed to drive them home to Hartford.

At 5 PM on the day of the drive home, Ben called Jeff as he was leaving work:

Ben: “Hi Jeff”

Jeff: “Ben, what’s up?”

Ben: “I wanted to see if I could come to your place to talk, you’ve been a little silent lately.”

Jeff breathed a sigh, which was audible to Ben as well.

Ben: “Jeff, I am sorry if I did anything to put you off.”

Jeff: “It’s not you, it’s….umm….just stuff.”

Ben: “I guess, it was the Thanksgiving dinner thing right.”

Jeff: “You basically came over, we had sex, and you left when I asked if you wanted to go to my parent’s place for Thanksgiving. I just wanted you to meet my parents, my aunts, uncles, and cousins to show them that gay guys could be big successes. Some of them still look down on me and my sister due to our sexuality.”

Ben: “It’s not what you think Jeff, I am not a closet case, but I have my reasons.”

Jeff: “Ben, I really want to believe that you got reasons. Can you come for Christmas at least?”

Ben sighed, “I can’t Jeff.”

Jeff hung up after his request was denied. Ben tried to call Jeff back frantically, but Jeff did not want to answer it. The rest of the drive back to his apartment was filled with ringtone music and tears for Jeff Alan.

Jeff hoped his sister and Susan would console him over what happened with Ben. In Jeff’s mind, he was feeling guilty like he should give Ben more time and allow him to explain himself, but the fear of previous relationships kept coming back. As he unlocked the door, Jeff was greeted by his sister, Susan, and Ben, who rushed towards Jeff at the doorway. As much as Jeff wanted to push Ben away from him, he could not bear losing him either. They embraced each other at the doorway.

“So this guy is you invisible billionaire boyfriend,” Abigail relayed in a smirk toward her younger brother.

Jeff nodded and looked at Ben with questioning eyes. Ben knew that he had to come clean with his reasons.

Ben: “Jeff, it’s not like I don’t want to be with you or your family, but I have reasons.”

Abigail looked at this young man with an appraising view. He did not behave like a closet case, nor did his actions today correspond to his reservations.

Abigail: “Jeff, I think you can trust that he has his reasons and he truly loves you as much as you love him. You should have seen the look on his face as he was banging on the door; he was dialing his cell in one hand and emphatically pleading for you to open with his other hand. When we opened the door, he begged us to let him wait for you. I don’t know what his reasons are, but I think you can trust that he has good intentions.”

Ben blushed a bit. Even though, he was one of the most renowned technologists of his time; his love for Jeff bypassed everything else. Ben had always kept his secrets bottled to people within his inner circle and he does not allow others into this particular portion of his life easily. Secrecy was one of the elements that allowed him to remain on top of the cutting edge nanotechnology industry.

With a deep breath, Ben took the plunge, “Jeff can you come with me somewhere; I know your family is waiting and it is almost Christmas, but I have to show you something. If you don’t want to, then I can understand and we can still be friends.”

Jeff without hesitation agreed. Jeff gave Susan his keys and asked Abigail to tell their parents.

Abigail wondered with a smile: “What kind of man is Benjamin Cross? What were his secrets?”

In a blink of an eye, Jeff was outside of his apartment with the cold icy wind blowing. An unmarked black sedan had just arrived in front of the house and Ben opened the door to let him in first. The sedan was roomy with comfortable leather padding.

Jeff began to ask: “So what is this big secret?”

Ben looked at his beleaguered companion with a smile: “I’ll tell you once we’re 20,000 feet.”

The unmarked black car crossed through a series of checkpoints and fences before arriving at a hanger with a small jet plane. Ben and Jeff boarded the plane with earnest. Ben took helm of the plane’s controls as Jeff seated himself on the Co-Pilot seat. It did not take long for the plane to accelerate to the proper speed for lift.

Once airborne, Jeff asked once more, “What is your secret?”

Ben: “We’re only 5,000 feet in the air and I don’t feel like telling you 1/4th the truth. It’s not a miniseries that I should build suspense for.”

Jeff gave a small laugh at the joke, “It shouldn’t take too long before you run out of excuses or witty comebacks. By the way, when are we going to reach 20,000 feet?”

Ben: “Well, you’ll have to wait until we land at the Cape landing strip as our next flight wait.”

Jeff: “Ugh, do I look like Robert Langdon to you?”

Ben smirked at Jeff’s oblivious irony, “Depends, you might learn some secrets that would get you killed by certain religious leaders.”

It did not take long for the plane to start its descent toward the little runway by the shoreline. The sea was calm and there was noticeably no wind, which was odd considering the area’s famous coastal winds and turbulent waters. Nothing seemed quite right as Jeff and Ben left the jet plane and headed towards an old seaplane with pontoons, where landing gear should have been.

Jeff had noticed their odd travel arrangement and the curious secrecy that surrounds each leg of the journey from the black unmarked car to the multiple connecting flights. There was something queer in the air beyond the two lovers.

The ascent of the seaplane was rocky and uneven, nothing like the traditional jet plane’s ascent. As they began to climb, Jeff noticed certain oddities around this old plane. There were various instruments lying around the place, but none of them were recognizable. A device with a LCD screen seemed to display lines that curved in random directions, a telescope looking object was attached to the window, but there were no lens or visible electrical connection, and there were two metal orbs spinning in mid-air like they were orbiting each other.

Once they neared 20,000 feet according to one of the strange instruments, Jeff was about to ask his question once more, but Ben cut him off.

Ben: “What do you think of progress?”

Jeff: “Huh….umm…I don’t know…”

Ben laughed after this reply: “I guess most people aren’t asked that question a lot. Maybe, it’s to society’s detriment that we don’t ask the most important questions.”

Jeff: “Yeah, but I don’t see how this question could be tied to everything.”

Ben: “Progress is the reason that we are here today. Whether it is social, economic, cultural, or technological, the world is formed by progress and progress is formed by thought. However, the world is also on a tipping point, where true progress is hidden by false prophets.”

Jeff: “Sorry Ben, but I just don’t get it.”

Ben with smile: “Okay, let’s take a simple modern day reference; have you seen “The Social Network”?”

Jeff: “Yeah, it was funny, but I heard that the stuff was made up to make the guy look bad or something from a friend.”

Ben: “Yup, but most people don’t see the movie that way or don’t notice the trend that’s happening throughout the world.”

Jeff: “What you mean?”

Ben: “Take the movie for example, why was Mark and the other founders of Facebook portrayed so badly? I think that they represent something many people don’t get or fear, a type of freedom that humanity doesn’t realize is within our grasp. They fear what’s coming is not understandable to them. We are heading into a Technological Singularity that social, economic, and cultural progress will go beyond current human understanding.”

Jeff: “Okay, I understand that some people don’t get stuff like Facebook, but it is not a big issue.”

Ben: “It’s a huge issue for humanity ever since the Renaissance. We have been heading down this road as technology reaches new heights. The defenders of the moment are the antithesis to this progress and the greatest atrocities have occurred due to them, the Inquisition to name one. Yes, in recent times, they have weakened and the concept of fearing progress seems distant. However, when the most notorious liberal producer in Hollywood has pushed a false image of technological progress, it is a systemic issue of a greater disease. Scientific acknowledgement is beginning a cyclical retreat, while our scientific knowledge is growing exponentially.”

Silence held in the room as Jeff thought about Ben’s assertions. Around the US, many people hoped for change and progress in their lives after the last presidential election. Jeff like many other Americans have been questioning this same issue indirectly as nothing has changed. The US is not alone as nations around the world have promised the same change and progress, but nothing has been delivered.

Jeff understood this connection between technology and social progress, but something was still nagging in his mind.

Jeff: “Ben, I know what you mean by progress being hampered, but how does it connect to why you don’t people to know you’re gay?”

Ben: “I am about to force mankind into making a choice that will either bring about Armageddon or a Golden Age. Today, I am merely a leader in nanotechnology applications, manufacturing industrial fibers and compounds. However, with the combined efforts of like-minded people, there has been progress made in many fields of technologies. These Technologies are threats to many major corporations and leaders, who will use any personal facts as an excuse to push against the progress that is coming. I love you with all my heart, but this thing is bigger than either of us. After you see the wonders that shall come, you will understand why I am being cautious.”

Jeff now knew his answer, but he has even more questions.

Jeff thought: Where are they going? What new technologies are Ben developing that could revolutionize the world? Who would challenge him and impede these technologies?

 

To Be Continued……..

Part 1 of 4

Copyright © 2011 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..