Jump to content
    Westley D.
  • Author
  • 3,062 Words
  • 908 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Canaan Club - 20. Chapter 20

“In a story, there is always the main character,” Hallsworth spoke as the class ran circles around the huge gymnasium. “An individual whose survival is vital to the narrative. They get all the luck, plot armor, and the privilege of a happy ever after as their ending. Unfortunately, this is real life, and there are no such thing as main characters in the real world. All of you are fodder, and the next time you even blink could be your last millisecond on this plane of existence. No heartfelt speeches, tearful goodbyes, or dying wishes.”

Arrows – wooden ones – randomly shot from parts unknown, occasionally disrupting the pace of most of the students. Andre slightly tilted his head forward to avoid an arrow aimed at his temple as he ran, and his peers behind him stumbled back at the object whizzing by.

Even though he was an omega, what he lacked in strength, his enhanced senses made up for. Sure, it didn’t stop him from getting slapped by bigger and stronger wolves, but it was excused by the fact that his sensory skills weren’t in tune for fighting. He was more of the search and rescue type.

Maybe he really was a mutt.

“If Flannel blondie hadn’t been as skillful as he was currently,” the instructor continued, mentioning Rafe’s new nickname, “you would’ve been looking straight at all your fates in the nearby future.”

“Nearby future?” Andre looked over at the blond as they ran next to each other.

Daeran, a space behind the two and beside Joe, shivered a bit. “Something’s gonna happen.”

Rafe scoffed. “Nah. She’s just trying to scare us.”

“Five more minutes around the bases. Keep going!” Hallsworth clapped as if it would make them sprint faster.

Unfortunately, half of the class was beginning to falter and stagger after already running for thirty minutes. And it certainly didn’t help that arrows were still being shot at them. A few first-years even resigned to being target practice, and now a bunch of wooden sticks littered the ground. Luckily for them, the sharp point of the projectiles was made of rubber, but they still stung on contact.

Over in the front, Andre led the class by a few inches, making an impressed Rafe whistle and smirk.

“Look at you, Speedy Gonzalez. Of course, you’d be the fastest one here.”

The omé shrugged. “Yeah, when I’m running from people who wanna hurt me. And besides, you’re not even trying.”

“You aren’t either. And by the end of the year, you’ll be knocking people out in a second because you’re so fast. No more running away.”

“The vote of confidence is appreciated,” Andre smiled at his friend.

“It better be. Don’t act like you haven’t beaten me in races across the fields when I used to visit you.”

The young wolf chuckled before quickening his pace just the tiniest bit to stay in first place.

Hallsworth put them through the wringer all class. After the run, she had them doing a mix of push-ups and jumping jacks, then a mixture of sit-ups and toe touches. All the while, the occasional arrow fired out of nowhere to disturb the process. Another projectile was launched at Andre, but instead of outright dodging it, since Rafe was beside him, he pitched forward and clamped his teeth down on it, tasting bitter oak. The arrow nearly snapped in half from the keenness of his canines.

“Dude! Nice!” Joe laughed.

Rafe grinned and nodded. “Progress.”

By the end of it all, panting and the smell of sweat and fear circulated throughout the area. Nobody would put it past their sadistic instructor to pull out another grueling test from her ass, hence the trepidation.

Hallsworth kept quiet for a moment, trudging back and forth with her head down and her nose pinched between her fingers. Then, with a deep sigh, she glared into each one of the first-years, some of them recoiling like she was going to bite their heads off.

“Gonna cut straight to the point. That… was pathetic. A clusterfuck of stumbling and stammering fools, the lot of you! Most of you could make wonderful pincushions.”

She shook her head. “Lesson of the day: expect the unexpected. Don’t get used to doing the exercises the entire class, you useless brats! Somehow, this will all be crammed into fifteen minutes, and it’s nothing compared to the shit I’ve got planned for the rest of our time. So, I hope you know… this means war!”

Several first-years gaped and paled at that. This was only the beginning of their torture.

“Now, get out of my sight! You all disgust me!” Hallsworth waved them away, but her narrowed glower remained on Rafe, Andre, Joe, and Daeran. “Except you four. Flannel blondie, Pupface, Purple Eyes, and Stammer. Keep your feet planted.”

They stayed still, except for Daeran, who couldn’t help his trembling limbs. As the rest of the class passed by, they were given sympathetic glances and pats on the back that were less reassuring and more of a silent “sucks for you.”

However, Rafe was unperturbed, speaking aloud when the last first-year trickled out. “You wanted to see us?”

“It’s a bit unorthodox for me to do this, but I must say that all have the potential to be the best in the class,” Hallsworth said. “Now, this is the part where I recommend you sign up for Combat. You’ll still be the lowest of the low being first-years, but you’ll be facing other bottom-feeders as well. And luckily, a couple of higher-ups and staff members will take pity on your puny selves enough to help you climb the ranks.”

“Hell, yeah,” Rafe punched a fist into his palm. “We just need to know when and where to sign up.”

Joe stepped up next to him enthusiastically. “Same here. My parents would come back and kill me if they found out I didn’t.”

“I-I guess I’ll try,” Daeran mumbled, scratching the back of his head. “See if it’s for me.”

“Good enough. What about you, Pupface? What do you say?”

Andre, as expected, hesitated. Again, he wasn’t one for throwing fists around and hurting others. Even if it was some sort of an exhibition match. Some might see it as cowardice, but Andre never exactly took that opinion to heart. Rafe would want him to, but then he’d also say that he’d be strong enough for the both of them. The blond didn’t know it, but it was always difficult watching him battle and get hurt.

So, maybe the omega could learn by watching first. And eventually…

“Hm. I… don’t really like to fight all that much,” he finally responded, “but I’d definitely take a support position if there was one. Like a cheerleader or something.”

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Rafe lift his brows in interest.

“Or perhaps a water boy,” Hallsworth looked toward the ceiling in thought. “You’re still getting in some sort of workout lugging all those drinks around to each player. Although, that’s only for the advanced teams. But we’ll see if we can work something out if you’re more serious about it.”

Andre beamed and nodded his appreciation. “I’ll get my pom-poms ready.”

To their surprise, there was a slight twitch on the hardened instructor’s lips, nearly shaping up what could have been a minuscule, amused smirk.

“Tryouts are over the weekend. I expect to see you there. Now, scat, pond scum.”

“I feel like I’ve seen you before,” Rafe stated suddenly, eyes roaming over the woman’s faintly wizened face. “You know anything about the Coat?”

“A bit, but I recognized you the second I saw you, Raphael Gold. Your father likes to brag a lot during dinner parties.”

Rafe soured at that. That should have been a no-brainer.

“He sure does,” he sighed.

-POI-

The first day of classes was finally over. The four stayed together, sauntering through the halls aimlessly as the students, young and older, went to and fro around them. The four found themselves on the second level of the main building, Joe having mentioned seeing a dining room there before, when Andre’s eyes gleamed at a place just before the entrance.

“Ooh! I think that’s a present shop!” he pointed.

“You mean a gift shop?” Joe chuckled.

“They don’t mean the same thing? Gift and present?”

“You completely right, Dre,” Rafe patted the omé on the back and moved him forward. “Let’s go in, check it out, and go. The sooner we get back home, the sooner we can finish up homework and go to the gym.”

The effects of Hallsworth’s torment must have kicked off because the scent of coffee hadn’t reached any of them until they walked inside. Turned out it was a combination of a gift shop and a bakery, a small section of tables before a catalog of sweets and desserts.

Though, that wasn’t the only thing that was being sold. Rafe momentarily forgot that this was a school for all races and species, so he was quite surprised to find stuff like potions, bows and arrows, and jewelry on display.

People back home would have an aneurism, the blond superhuman thought, thinking of the Coat residences.

The four perused the shop, and Rafe caught Andre giggling quietly at a few wolf plushies.

“Remember the first time you snuck me out and took me to a present shop?” Andre asked when his friend made it to his side. “You called it ‘shopping,’ right?”

That was years ago, and yet, the omé recalled something like that now. Of course, it would be special to him. There wasn’t a whole lot of good memory-making in Graybite, that was for sure. Before Rafe escaped for good, he sometimes snuck out of the house to get away from the pressure and misery of being a Gold family member to visit his newfound friend he met in the woods.

It was weird being friends with someone of a different race at first, always having to hear about the “filthy magi” and “their dirt tainting the blood of the original race.” Fortunately, Beau and Toby’s relationship and care snuffed those seeds out before they could grow. One of the first things he and Andre did together was to take the young wolf on a trip to a city that wasn’t on the Coat’s radar all that much. He was practically a child in a candy store that day.

“Yeah,” Rafe nodded. “You practically bought the entire candy section. You’re lucky I came from money.”

“Shouldn’t have introduced me to gumdrops, dude,” Andre snickered as he shook his head.

“Then, I’ll do everything I can to keep you away from any kind of sugar. You’re weirder than usual when you’re on a rush, man.”

“You haven’t seen-”

Andre stopped short as his ears promptly twitched, then turned to look out a nearby window with wide eyes.

“What is-” Rafe was confused before he, too, turned to look in the direction that caught the omé’s attention and instantly felt his good mood deflate faster than a balloon. “Oh, you’ve got to be fucking kidding me.”

There on the outside of the gift shop stood Zoel, though he wasn’t alone. Two other boys with the same bulky size and similar face structure flanked him, and they all glared sinisterly down at a group of scared first-year humans.

“So, before I get a few practice shots in,” he leaned down into one of the faces of one of the humans, a blond kid who shakily but protectively stood in front of his friends, “how about one of you tell me where your blue-headed bitch of a human friend is, and you won’t get any across the face.”

“I told you, none of us know where Lindsay is,” he shrugged, small waves of anxiety making his voice tremble. “She does her own thing nowadays.”

The twin on the right stomped forward, his messy auburn hair flopping into his face. “Then call her up. You still have a number, don’t cha?”

“She’s probably busy. We shouldn’t bother her-”

“We said call her up,” the other one, dark-haired with a crooked nose, snarled, revealing gapped teeth. “We ain’t givin’ you a choice!”

“You wanna get the show going, or should I do a little ‘search?’” Zoel’s grin stretched into an ugly slash across his face when he leered at the girl next to the brave boy, his wobbly hand in hers as she tried to get him to stand down. “I’ll make sure to start with this little nice piece you keep rubbing shoulders with.”

The gamma’s hand reached for her, making her squeal back in fright. At that, any traces of fear in the boy’s face suddenly vanished, cocking a fist back.

“Don’t freaking touch her!”

Though, instead of going for a punch, the human flexed his fingers out and revealed his palm, in which a cloud of chilling, sparkling frost billowed out and over Zoel’s face.

“The fuck!?” he sputtered, backpedaling as he wiped furiously at the ice now forming on his nose, chin, and forehead. “You little shit!”

For his efforts, the boy received a backhand too quick to perceive, spinning him right round and into an unconscious heap on the floor, much to the shock and despair of his friends.

“Rudy!” the girl next to him screamed, getting down and trying to shake him awake.

In the gift shop, Rafe growled. “That-”

Andre was already bounding out of the shop and over to the fallen human.

“Andre! Wait up!”

The others stared warily at the omé, who helped the out-cold Rudy into a comfortable position while checking over the bruise taking form on his left cheek.

“Please, tell me he’s okay,” the girl pleaded.

“It’s okay,” Andre sniffed once before nodding with a reassuring smile. “He’s just knocked out, but he’ll heal up nicely if we get him to someone who could help.”

Almost instantly, Daeran was there as well, holding a vial of green liquid with the price tag still attached. “Here. Thank God I just bought this. It’s a healing potion, I think.”

It was revealed to be a healing position when they forced the contents into Rudy’s mouth and the blemish on his face magically began to disappear.

“You again! I knew you were with them!” Zoel glowered at the two before moving angrily toward them.

However, before he could take the third step, Rafe and Joe slid in front of him, guarding the others against the older wolves’ approach.

“Christ, you just love to make assumptions, don’t you?” Rafe sneered. “Looks like we don’t have any choice but to sort this out once and for all.”

Joe shook his head in disappointment. “Haven’t you heard of picking on someone your own size, my dudes? Pretty lame of you to throw your weight around on people weaker than you.”

“Yo! Are these the little freaks you’ve been telling us about, Zo?” the auburn-haired twin questioned his leader.

The other just spat in disgust as he inspected the first-years with unimpressed eyes. “They think they’re so tough. Fucking brats need to learn to respect their damn superiors!”

Rafe briefly turned his head and caught Daeran’s eye, sending a silent command with a single nod. And it was all Joe’s roommate needed to understand.

“Come on,” he muttered to the humans and helped the girl carry Rudy as he led them away from the violent upperclassmen and out of their sight.

Now, only Rafe, Joe, and Andre remained, staring down the bigger and stronger trio. No one else seemed to be around this time.

“Hecuba Collins,” Zoel said simply. “Does that name ring a bell to any of you?”

The three blinked, not expecting that kind of opener.

“Nah,” Rafe spoke for them. “Never heard of it.”

But then Andre pitched forward, mouth gaping as his mind seemed to connect a few dots. “Wait. Is that the girl who showed up in front of us and gave us the bag? She just showed up out of nowhere.”

“No idea who that is either,” Joe shrugged. “And I’m sure Daeran can say the same thing.”

Auburn Hair scoffed in disbelief. “You’re probably lying. All you monkeys like scratching each other’s asses. Playing the rest of us like fools.”

“Then why the hell did you ask!?” the blond superhuman rolled his silver eyes, making the uglier brother’s face redden.

“Watch your tone, boy!”

“Make me, asshole!”

“You know what? Forget it,” Zoel spoke coldly, shaking his head frustratingly. “I’ve messed this up too many times and we’re running out of time. I don’t care if you’re a part of this or not. It’s better if I do away with all of you now than to leave you alone and regret it later.”

“I agree. Your friends can have a piece of the dirt pie you’ll be eating shortly.”

Rafe and Joe got into a fighting stance. They weren’t expecting to fight the guy a second time today, but since then, they were ready for anything. Though, that did not stop Andre’s attempts at trying to keep the peace. The omega lifted his hands in a placating manner, hoping they’d spew out some magic that would diffuse the situation.

“Hold on! We don’t have to do this, guys. Cain’s your alpha, right? He’s a part of whatever situation you’re in? We can talk to him and sort this out fighting?”

Rafe sighed inwardly.

He seriously needed to hammer it into his friend’s head that these kinds of tactics weren’t going to work. It didn’t work with inbred trio, it didn’t work earlier today, and it won’t work now.

Inbred trio.

This was the new inbred trio they were currently dealing with. It was funny how life worked, but Rafe wasn’t laughing.

“What kind of wolf are you to not want any bloodshed!?” Zoel balked at the small wolf before addressing Auburn Hair and Ugly respectively. “Kodan! Radulf! Handle the riffraff. I need a little rematch with the lead simian here. No gust of wind to save you indoors.”

The twins stared down Joe and Andre while Rafe faced off against Zoel.

“I don’t need help,” the Hermes superhuman clenched his fists tightly, centering his rage. “I’ll have you scratching your eyes out all on my own. Bring it on!”

Copyright © 2022 Westley D.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 9
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another nasty fight ahead and the lead bad guy is the odds-on favorite to bust our hero

Any chance of a rescue?

Damn--how do our good guys get out of this circle of violence?

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I'll reserve comment on the fight for now until next chapter. 

Was that a class or boot camp they attended? Speaking of boot camp I think Hallsworth could scare some Marine drill instructors  to death

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Andre is a lot like I try to be. A peacemaker, but will fight to defend myself an pd my friends.  It I’ll be interesting to see what he gets to do in combat training.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Zoel is a bully, and a stupid one as well, brawns over brains...a bad combination.

Not sure about Andre, there are some tough lessons for him to learn, despite his reluctance. Somehow I get the feeling that at some point he will be a force to be reckoned with.

If Rafe can control his emotions, Zoel is in for a beatdown...Bring it on!

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Hallsworth makes any PE class I ever had look like a stroll thru Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.  The guys all know it's a good idea to go out for Combat, however Hollsworth's response to Dre's waterboy/cheerleader suggestion is weird.  Does her amused smirk mean she knows something about Dre's powers or about how the waterboy position might be different than Dre envisions?

I like the term 'inbreed trio' for Zoel and his goons. I hope Rafe knocks a little sense into their one celled brains. Great dialogue written for all the characters in this chapter. I also liked the little insight to Rafe and Dre's early experiences from the beginning of the friendship.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..