Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 807 Words
  • 1,053 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Max and Charles - 5. Conrad’s Collectables

They slept late the following morning and while having a morning cup of tea, Charles remembered the parcel and said, “I wonder who the gift is from? It must be someone who didn’t attend the reception.”

“But, everyone who was invited attended so I can’t think who would leave us a gift.”

“Well there’s only one way to find out, we have to open it, there’s no card on the outside.”

“OK, let’s do it together.” The item was well wrapped and packed. There amongst a mountain of packing was a wooden box, about the size of a shoe box, heavily carved with an inlaid symbol, like a family crest or coat-of-arms.

“Isn’t it absolutely beautiful Charles?”

“Yes, but I can’t find a card, look through the packaging, maybe it’s in there.”

By the time Charles had packaging spread from one side of the living room to the other, he declared, “There is no card, maybe they forgot, but who would give us such a magnificent piece and not include a card or some wishes for us?”

“I wonder what it’s for, do you think there’s anything inside?”

“I can’t open it, but it does not seem to be locked. In fact there does not seem to be a lock or a key hole, nothing to keep in closed.”

“Let me try....you’re right it must be jammed shut, I’ll get a screwdriver.”

As Max returned with the tool, Charles warned, “Be careful, don’t damage such a beautiful and clearly expensive piece.”

But try as he may, Max could not prise open the box without causing damage.

“Hey look under the box, there’s some writing there.”

“You’re right, but it doesn’t seem to be in English. I can’t understand any of it, looks like some eastern European language.”

“I’ll turn on the computer and see if we can get a translation.” When he was ready Charles asked, “Read it slowly while I type.”

Max did his best to read, “Pentru cine este în posesia acestei cutii. Trebuie să urmați instrucțiunile din scrisoare. Nu încercați să deschideți acest lucru până la exact 100 de ani după 17 martie 1918. Deținătorul trebuie să îi ofere cadou de nuntă primului cuplu care se căsătorește la sau după această dată. Cuplul trebuie să așeze caseta sub patul matrimonial în noaptea nunții lor. Caseta se va debloca când ...”

The translator detected the language to be Romanian and returned the translation as‚ ‘For who owns this box. You must follow the instructions to the letter. Do not try to open this until exactly 100 years after March 17, 1919. The holder must give it to the first couple who wed on or after this date. The couple must place the box under the matrimonial bed on their wedding night. The box will unlock when ...’

“Is that all there is?” asked Charles.

“Yes, the parchment seems to be torn off, as if there was more.”

“That’s very mysterious, but what is even more puzzling is who left this on our doorstep, and why?”

“Do you think the box really is 100 years old? That would make it very valuable, if it is.”

“Well, it looks old to me, but I’m no expert on antiques.”

“Then that’s what we should do, show it to an antiques dealer. Do you know anyone?”

“If I remember correctly, Roger had a relationship with that guy who runs the shop in the junction, what’s it called?...um...Conrad’s Collectables.”

“Yeah, that’s it, maybe he can help.”

“I’ll call Roger tomorrow and see what he suggests.”

 

About a week later all three of them went off to see Conrad, who was most intrigued by the antique box. He immediately picked up on the crest and asked if he could photograph the box so he could show it to some colleagues in the business whom are experts in family crests and insignia. He suggested that if the crest could be identified then that may give some clue us to the provenance of the object.

It was two weeks later when Conrad rang Charles and was very excited about his discovery. “Sorry to be so long getting back to you about this Charles, but I wanted to be certain about what I have been told. The story I have to tell you was once believed to be true, but in more recent times has become to be regarded as a legend. However, now that this box has been found it may turn out to be true, if this is the real thing.”

“You’ve got me really intrigued now, when can we meet?”

“Why don’t you and Max come to my store tomorrow, if you are free and we can chat then? Oh, and please bring the box with you.”

“That will be fine, see you tomorrow Conrad.”

Copyright © 2020 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

March 17, 1919 - St. Patrick's Day in Romania, they're still at war with the Hungarian Empire for another year.  No clue there. 

Woodrow Wilson (Dem) is President. No clue there.

In year 432, 16- year old Patrick is taken from his home in Great Britain by Irish Pirates and sent to Ireland as a slave. Not much of a clue there.

Bolshevik Marxists fight the remaining 'White Russian' supporters of Tsar Nicholas. News of the Romanoff's demise not widely known. No help.

So maybe, somebody trapped a leprechaun in the box and where to find the hidden Pot of Gold, but only if the box is placed under the 'matrimonial bed' to provide good luck (and a strong Shillelagh, aka 'club' aka 'Blackthorn Walking Stick'). To quote Monty Python, "Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink, Say no more" :wizard: :wub: :rofl:

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Nat King Cole was born on 17/03/1919, but I strongly doubt this is of any relevance.

You write very well Wombat Bill, with very few spelling and grammatical errors. I find well written stories easier to read than those with numerous mistakes as the mistakes are somewhat distracting. Well written, intriguing and entertaining. What more can we ask for from freely available craft.

 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

March 17, 1919 - St. Patrick's Day in Romania, they're still at war with the Hungarian Empire for another year.  No clue there. 

Woodrow Wilson (Dem) is President. No clue there.

In year 432, 16- year old Patrick is taken from his home in Great Britain by Irish Pirates and sent to Ireland as a slave. Not much of a clue there.

Bolshevik Marxists fight the remaining 'White Russian' supporters of Tsar Nicholas. News of the Romanoff's demise not widely known. No help.

So maybe, somebody trapped a leprechaun in the box and where to find the hidden Pot of Gold, but only if the box is placed under the 'matrimonial bed' to provide good luck (and a strong Shillelagh, aka 'club' aka 'Blackthorn Walking Stick'). To quote Monty Python, "Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink, Say no more" :wizard: :wub: :rofl:

SPOILER ALERT! - How did you guess that? :o

Edited by Wombat Bill
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Wombat Bill said:

SPOILER ALERT! - How did you guess that? :o

Have you ever noticed garden gnomes seem to have moved? And they resemble leprechauns Do they turn real after dark? :unsure2:

Hehe

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..