[Razor] Chapter Envy

Chapter Envy  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jamie's chapters be longer?

• No! Jamie's chapters are just fine the way they are!
    • Well, they're a nice size...
    • Jamie's chapters are awfully small...
    • Jamie's chapters are the equivalent of a half inch you-know-what.
    • I don't care.

What a pollster! You'd shame Mr. Gallup all right in your non-biased phrasing. I think my request would be more about frequency than length.

A few figures, so people have some material to reflect upon:

Ana chapter 1: 1438 words

Ana chapter 2: 1831 words

Ana chapter 3: 2308 words

So chapter 2 has 393 more words than chapter 1, and chapter 3 has 477 more words than chapter 2. If this sets a trend, then chapter 4 should be around 2800 words. If you average your three chapters, it should be around 1859 words.

The bottom line for me: 2,000 words is a good chapter. 1,500 words already makes a good read. And of course, let's not focus on quantity rather than on quality.

• 2 months later...

Hi Jamie,

If you write a complete chapter - and I think that you do, then length is whatever you want it to be. I think my chapters have about.. 4500 - 5000 words.. but I think the average on eFiction is like, 3500 words per chapter.

Anyway, I think, also as you go along and you have the story developed more your chapters will naturally get longer if you're not basing your chapters on word count or length.

Krista