Rubber gloves

jfalkon

I have noticed something a little disturbing about medical professionals and their gloves. Is it just be or do they put their gloved hands everywhere?

I was having blood drawn today and noticed the nurs put on a pair of gloves. Then he decided the trash can was in an inconvinient spot. He moved it before proceding to disinfect my arm. I know the disinfestant should kill any germs that got on the gloves and he never actualy touched the puncture wound but it still seems unsanitary. I have seen several nurses and dentists do this. Has this happend to anyone else? Does it bother you?

I have noticed something a little disturbing about medical professionals and their gloves. Is it just be or do they put their gloved hands everywhere?

I was having blood drawn today and noticed the nurs put on a pair of gloves. Then he decided the trash can was in an inconvinient spot. He moved it before proceding to disinfect my arm. I know the disinfestant should kill any germs that got on the gloves and he never actualy touched the puncture wound but it still seems unsanitary. I have seen several nurses and dentists do this. Has this happend to anyone else? Does it bother you?

This is a problem faced by many Indian patients too. But atleast my dentist changes his gloves every time he sees another patient. Those gloves are then disinfected at the end of the day and then re-used again.

Same is the case with most of the doctors I've been to. What concerns me most is the re-use of disposable syringes!! That is quite a menace here.

The BeaStKid

This is a problem faced by many Indian patients too. But atleast my dentist changes his gloves every time he sees another patient. Those gloves are then disinfected at the end of the day and then re-used again.

Same is the case with most of the doctors I've been to. What concerns me most is the re-use of disposable syringes!! That is quite a menace here.

The BeaStKid

:( .............I would be greatly disturbed by th re-use of syringes, don't you have Military Doctors?

• Site Moderator
:( .............I would be greatly disturbed by th re-use of syringes, don't you have Military Doctors?

That is disturbing. I'm a diabetic and I don't reuse any of my syringes.

Jan

well DUH PEOPLE, if they re-use needles ten bucks they sterilize them.

B) ....count 100......If I recall right the USA quit doing that years ago because it was not working and people were getting sick.........Anyone else please

• Site Moderator
B) ....count 100......If I recall right the USA quit doing that years ago because it was not working and people were getting sick.........Anyone else please

Having worked in Health Care most of my life cleaning of needles wasn't easy and dangerous. There was no brush that could be used to clean the bore of the needle, all you could do was flush solution thru it. There was no guarantee of getting any dried particles out of them. After that there was two method used to sterilize them, steam under pressure and ethalene oxide.

Damn, years ago, another old question, but yeah, the good ol' US quit reusing, i.e., disinfecting, because it doesn't kill all the viruses, especially that evil little devil HIV. Viruses are tenacious and the only way to ensure no HIV viruses is to use a new, sterile needle everytime. Unfortunately, that is very expensive and very expensive health care is something not too popular everywhere in the world.

But, disinfection is still alive in the US. Injection drug users do it all the time, but that's also a matter of economics. If you're spending all your money on shit, you don't have money to spend on the injection. So you can clean it. Bleach cleans every thing, almost. Doesn't do to well against all the viruses, though. It simply boils down to a matter of risk and if you're doing shit, are you worried about a little risk? :(

• Site Moderator

Plus, there is only one way legally, that I know of, to get the needle and syringe.

The pharmacy can change the number you get. I started out getting a box of 100, now they only give me 50.

Damn, years ago, another old question, but yeah, the good ol' US quit reusing, i.e., disinfecting, because it doesn't kill all the viruses, especially that evil little devil HIV. Viruses are tenacious and the only way to ensure no HIV viruses is to use a new, sterile needle everytime. Unfortunately, that is very expensive and very expensive health care is something not too popular everywhere in the world.

But, disinfection is still alive in the US. Injection drug users do it all the time, but that's also a matter of economics. If you're spending all your money on shit, you don't have money to spend on the injection. So you can clean it. Bleach cleans every thing, almost. Doesn't do to well against all the viruses, though. It simply boils down to a matter of risk and if you're doing shit, are you worried about a little risk? :(

B) .........But the concern here is as 1st stated by BeaStkid:

The BeaStKid

If your re-using for yourself thats one thing, but for doctors to be actually re-using disposable syringes!!!!!!

This bothers the hell out of me! Not just with dentists and doctors, but it seems that everyone who wears gloves forgets that just because you have gloves on doesn't automatically mean they're sanitary. The other day I saw a Quizno's worker take money and give change to a customer, then go back to making sandwiches, without changing his gloves :nuke: After all money is only about the dirtiest thing in the average person's possession at any given time...why change your gloves when handling it? :wacko: :blink:

The BeaStKid

Oh my gosh! :hug: that's scary!

-Kevin

B) .........But the concern here is as 1st stated by BeaStkid:

The BeaStKid

If your re-using for yourself thats one thing, but for doctors to be actually re-using disposable syringes!!!!!!

It's all a matter of economics. How much are you, or your government for state run health care systems, willing to pay for new syringes for every patient. And, if you want new, sterile syringers for every patient, then you're going to want clean gloves for every patient.

But, rubber gloves in medical situations are not worn to protect you. The person who is wearing the rubber gloves is protecting themselves from whatever pathogens you're carrying, knowingly or not. You think, "Oh good, they're wearing gloves they won't be touching me with their dirty hands;" but they're thinking, "I better wear gloves because I don't know where this person has been or what disease they're carrying."

Carl :boy:

The syringes are by far the worst since they go past your skin and sometimes directly into the blood stream. They are one of the things that should really be used once only.

The other medical equipment (and restaurant equipment) is a little less hazardous but still worth paying atention to. Its not much better to touch a syringe with a dirty hand and then use it. Touching money and then handeling food is quite bad too.

I am not a clean freak. Honestly I believe that some exposure to pathogens is good for the immune system but there are a few areas where I would some standards!

But, rubber gloves in medical situations are not worn to protect you. The person who is wearing the rubber gloves is protecting themselves from whatever pathogens you're carrying, knowingly or not. You think, "Oh good, they're wearing gloves they won't be touching me with their dirty hands;" but they're thinking, "I better wear gloves because I don't know where this person has been or what disease they're carrying."

Excellent point, Carl!

Plus, there is only one way legally, that I know of, to get the needle and syringe.

The pharmacy can change the number you get. I started out getting a box of 100, now they only give me 50.

Syringes are not a prescription item in the US: You can get them over-the-counter. In many cases, they are prescribed, but that's more for insurance reasons.

You can get them from pharmacies, medical supply stores, or even online.

Carl is right about the gloves; according to a doctor I know, they are primarily to protect the doctor.

To answer Benji's question first, We do have military doctors and I must say that military hospitals are very particular about these types of things.

I can say that without so much as a doubt because I have been to both military and civilian hospitals. The problem I pointed out was in civilian hospitals.

It's all a matter of economics. How much are you, or your government for state run health care systems, willing to pay for new syringes for every patient. And, if you want new, sterile syringers for every patient, then you're going to want clean gloves for every patient.

For military hospitals, the government is paying for disposable syringes and gloves. At government hospitals, the government is providing them. But at private hospitals, it is not the case. There, they are paying for them. And therein lies the problem.

Sigh...

The BeaStKid

Woa.. there is no way in the world a doctor would've touched me if I noticed that... I would've just had a temper tantrum right there. That's gross and dangerous and unprofessional... so I would've told them all about that. :angry: Terrible negligent doctor tsk tsk tsk... shew.

Krista

• 6 months later...

I typically spend two days a week in hospital. The doctors and nurses almost always are professional when it comes to their gloves. I'd give them all kinds of heck if they weren't. But there's this one nurse I shrieked at because she was about to remove an IV without any gloves on. She was new there. At least I'd never seen her before.

A former and now dead dentist of mine used to recycle syringes. He gave a few patients HIV before dying of it himself. He used to clean the syringes by dipping them in alcohol and then pumping alcohol through the need a few times. Obviously it wasn't effective. This was in the very early days of HIV/AIDS though.