Sixth Anniversary

BeaStKid

Today is the sixth anniversary of the dreadful WTC attack.

My heartfelt condolences to all those who lost someone or something in the worst attack on human life and property ever.

Let us all remember those who have left us as a result of that attack. Let us also spare a minute to remember those who have been martyred in the war against terror.

As a citizen of a country that has been plagued by terrorisim since the country gained her independance, I can empathise with the loss.

:hug:

The BeaStKid

I didn't lose anyone that day, but I thought I did for most of the day. My father was to be returning from a business trip that day, and I couldn't remember if it was from Boston or Baltimore, so I panicked. Since the entire country was grounded, he had to get a rental car from Baltimore and drive home. He only learned of my fears last summer.

God bless those devastated by these attacks, and damn those who directly caused it.

What happened to us as a World on September 11th, 2001 was something horrible and selfish and we lost many people that were someone's mother, father, child, lover, friend... There are no words you can say to explain to someone why you felt your cause was so important, or so just, that you think several million people's lives should be ripped apart and have taken from them people they loved.

I was lucky that day... not only did I not lose anyone I knew or loved, nor did I have to live in fear or worry until I knew they were safe, but instead I gained someone new to love that day... my son, who turned 6 today and is really great at living and loving life to the fullest extent, perhaps a way to honor the so many people we lost that very same day. I was in labor in the hospital giving birth while the towers were falling down and we watched it on TV. Our local newspaper here did a story a year later as a tribute and contacted me asking for my memories of that day and how it effected me.

September 11th is a good day for me, even though something horrible happened to so many on this date 6 years ago... even to myself as a citizen of this country and as a human being. So to everyone who is remembering, or mourning, or NEVER forgetting today, I'll never forget either, but I'll be glad to remeber parts of it for years to come.

Hugs, Vivian

aww... :( What a bad time this day represents... with all the negativities that arose from the day.

Krista

Even though it was a bad day, but think of the many things that resulted with that incident--->

1. U.S woke up to the real threat of terrorism. The efforts that she put in preventing another such incident is commendable.

2. The world woke up to the real threat of terrorism. As a result, there was global consensus on an issue. The Kashmir issue got noticed and U.S actually acknowledged that India faces terrorism in Kashmir. (It had always turned the other way after a small 'we're soory to hear this' speech)

These are just some of the things that I can list that affected the world globally. U.S citizens have risen up like a phoenix from the ashes of Ground Zero and have worked together to push terrororism out of their country. :worship:

Wish India could also do something like that. The recent Hyderabad blasts are another reminder of the lax in security measures here.

The BeaStKid

Its been 6 years and I can still remember when exactly I heard the news of the WTC attack. Was in the bus coming home from school and heard something about WTC in the radio and wondered what was so special about it. When I came back on my mom had the tv on and told me about it. 11th September also happens to be my mom's bday. :/ My mom took it pretty hard cause she had actually visited WTC before.

yeah I live in NYC not manhattan tho. I remember being in school and not knowing anything about it but parents came to pick up their kids little by little my class went from about 32 student to about 10 at the end of the day. At gym ( my last period of class ) is when the principal made an annoucment about the WTC attacks he said he didnt want to have the whole school worried and kids leaving on their own so to prevent that he made it at the end of the day. My mom wasnt at work wen i got home so i panicked. I called my dad 2 wish him a happy birthday and ask where my mom was and she was stuck in traffic trying to get home for 3 hours. My dad didnt get home till around 11:30 pm because all the bridges were shut down. =[

that was my 9/11

I still can recall that day to minute detail. It was a sunny autumn morning, and I was in a particularly good mood because of it. This was important because I was otherwise in depressing moods, being the quiet kid in the corner and being fresh on the high school scene. I was playing baseball in gym class exactly when the attacks happened. Since I was outside, I did not learn of the attacks until class ended and all of the gym class students congregated in the cafeteria for morning announcements. I still exactly remember the very first image that was on the television, since all of the televisions on the campus were on the news stations, as opposed to the schools personal channel for the morning announcements. The image was of the hole left in the side of the tower that was struck first. I remember thinking, "Hm, looks like a small plane flew out of control into a sky scraper, probably Chicago." Of course the image then panned out and showed the Twin Towers, one of them smoking like an enormous square cigarette. Class then ended and I went to my next class of the day, Freshman Science. We did not have class, we instead watched the news, and watched in horror as the second aircraft struck the other tower. Class was long enough to show the first collapse. I can't remember what class I was in when the second tower collapsed, all I remember is worrying about the welfare of my father. I ignored the news altogether when we learned that a third plane had struck the Pentagon and a fourth crash landed in Pennsylvania.

I can't imagine what anyone who could see the devastation was going through. I lived far enough away that I can't see the City's skyline, but I can see it if I just travel an hour up I-287 N. Despite that considerable distance, I could see the plumes of smoke from my house. As a matter of fact, they were visible from space. All I can say is that no one could have possibly been more afraid than that group of FDNY fire fighters who were trapped on a small section of stairwell as the towers collapsed around them.

To this day I don't understand the justification of the attack. We were attacked by an enemy the American public was unaware of. We were attacked by a land we cannot see. We were attacked in the name of a god most of us do not even know of. I find it almost comical that they're angry at us for fighting back. For those who can't quite grasp the severity of the attacks in more than just a sense of an innocent human toll, consider this: This attack is the first campaign on the continental US by an outside force since the war of 1812. This is the first attack on US soil, period, since Pearl Harbor in 1941. In a sense, this attack served to show Americans that their country is not immortal, at least to the generations born after World War II, Korea, and Vietnam, and those too young to understand the Gulf War (such as myself). Let's hope that this realization will be enough to ensure that no one died in vain on September 11th, 2001.