Belgium for sale?

Lugh

• Site Administrator
:D It reminds me a prank some kids pulled at the high school my sister used to go to. For their graduation, they put an ad in the paper selling a "Large, multi-roomed building, set on spacious grounds". The school only found out about it when they started getting enquiries....

Now, that would be something to give to that someone special in your life, but which half?

Who wants a country divided by language?

Although, the Dutch speaking part probably is prettier; what with all those beaches, but the weather does leave a bit to be desired.

Maybe it's a good thing the ad was pulled.

Now, that would be something to give to that someone special in your life, but which half?

Although, the Dutch speaking part probably is prettier; what with all those beaches, but the weather does leave a bit to be desired.

Maybe it's a good thing the ad was pulled.

Eughh, can you imagine the cost of shipping though! :blink:

Eughh, can you imagine the cost of shipping though! :blink:

Ah, but, there's no cost for shipping, other than the cost of your ticket to your new country, but you better be ready to speak Dutch and French or one half is going to hate you, which they do already. So, you'll be in the middle which simply means: bend over, put a target on your ass, and wait for the kick. :P

The guy was trying to make a point about a serious matter. He did get a lot of attention, and I can only hope they manage to find a political solution there; it's difficult to imagine these provinces gaining independence. This wouldn't make much sense in today's world.

And Belgium is indeed a beautiful country. I'd go for the south side myself.

A very nice way out... :P

For your information, India is a country where the states have been created on linguistic basis. That makes up around 28 + 8 languages. India has 22 recoginized languages. This doesn't include English/Hindi. She also has languages that are spoken by tribals as well. In all, it amounts to over a 100 languages!!

And...India is a flourishing democracy!!

The BeaStKid

A very nice way out... :P

For your information, India is a country where the states have been created on linguistic basis. That makes up around 28 + 8 languages. India has 22 recoginized languages. This doesn't include English/Hindi. She also has languages that are spoken by tribals as well. In all, it amounts to over a 100 languages!!

And...India is a flourishing democracy!!

The BeaStKid

Switzerland is also another example. We have 4 official languages : german, french, italian and romansch. In the national houses, each deputy speaks in his own language but understand the others, and the official texts (laws, reglements, aso) are printed in 3 of 4 languages.

Each pupil has two learn another language beside his mother language. And in business life, it is often easier to understand each other by speaking English :P .So I'm a typical Swiss, speaking french, german, italian and even a special one : Swiss-german :lol:

• Site Administrator
Switzerland is also another example. We have 4 official languages : german, french, italian and romansch. In the national houses, each deputy speaks in his own language but understand the others, and the official texts (laws, reglements, aso) are printed in 3 of 4 languages.

Each pupil has two learn another language beside his mother language. And in business life, it is often easier to understand each other by speaking English :P .So I'm a typical Swiss, speaking french, german, italian and even a special one : Swiss-german :lol:

I believe South Africa has 19 official languages....

That is so cool! Wish I could speak all those!

-Kevin

Dang! I would love to learn French, but can't find the time to do so...

I can speak/read/write Hindi, English and Punjabi.

The BeaStKid

I worked with a bunch of swiss people a few month ago and it was soooo cute when everybody tried to talk German instead of Swiss-German so I would understand. Of course they'd always go back to swiss-german and in the end I kind of learned to understand it.

As a prove that this is true: chuchich

Edited by Liddy

I worked with a bunch of swiss people a few month ago and it was soooo cute when everybody tried to talk German instead of Swiss-German so I would understand. Of course they'd always go back to swiss-german and in the end I kind of learned to understand it.

As a prove that this is true: chuchich

Edited by Benji

illegal imagrants trying to shove their native language down our throats

That's fair enough. My ancestors shoved their native language down the throats of the people who were already here. I guess they were legal, at least in the sense that there were no immigration laws for them to break.

That's fair enough. My ancestors shoved their native language down the throats of the people who were already here. I guess they were legal, at least in the sense that there were no immigration laws for them to break.

LOL :lol:

Cool! Now you all know what to gift me on my birthday! :D

Ieshwar

*pst pst* you guys, if I find the card to go along with it will someone else wrap it? :wacko:

Somehow, I can't think of Belgium without thinking of King Leopold II. I won't get into the debate as to whether he was not quite as bad as Hitler or a lot worse than Hitler or about the same. But he certainly ranks way up there in terms of genocide, etc.

Perhaps if I had eaten more Belgian chocolate or watched more Hercule Poirot episodes, I'd have some positive associations to distract me from the evil King.