He shaved the faces of gentlemen...

Adrian Michaels

EEEEE!

Please tell me that I am not the only one absolutely JAZZED about the Sweeney Todd movie coming out this Christmas.

For those of you unaware, it's the movie verison of the Stephen Sondhiem musical.

The story is pretty much how a really ticked off barber gets his revenge on the guy who broke up his family and took his child... It's DELIGHTFUL! And the music is amazing.

It's directed by Tim Burton, and has Johnny Depp, and Helena Bohnam Carter in the leads (naturally) It also starts Alan Rickman!!

Here's the link for the trailer. Hopefully then you'll be as excited as I am!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svP3HsJB5ng

Dude! That does look awesome! I'm completely unfamiliar with the musical, but it looks fantastic!

I think I will go watch it!

It's directed by Tim Burton, and has Johnny Depp, and Helena Bohnam Carter in the leads (naturally)

I was thinking that :lol:

On a side note, I keep forgetting what a really good actor Johnny Depp truly is. He's gotten so much over-exposure with Pirates of the Caribbean recently that it's easy to get tired of him. However, he really is excellent, and amazingly enough does disappear into his roles despite the notoriety. I mean I really wasn't sitting there thinking "So Capt. Jack Sparrow is a barber..."

Thanks for the heads up, Adrian. I definitely plan on adding this to my movies-to-watch list! :great:

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

I saw it on Broadway with Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou. It was certainly an experience.

It might not be exactly my idea of a Christmas movie.

I'll see the movie one way or another, in the theater, or if I miss that, then on DVD.

It looks great. Tim Burton has never made a bad movie anyway. And he launched Depp's career with Edward Scissorhands. (Or rescued him from 21 Jumpstreet, that is)

And this duo made one of my favorite movies of all times, Ed Wood.

YES!

YES!

We all deserve to die; tell you why, Mrs. Lovett tell you why!

And that spine-tingling rant of a song is somehow followed immediately by a song full of cannibalism puns.

As a general rule, I don't like musicals. Even the Sondheim can go either way with me. But between the subject matter and the sophistication of Sweeney's score, it has won me over. I've never seen it live, only studied the score and listened to the Lansbury and Cariou recording.

I am really worried about the movie, though. It seems like they're somehow trying to make a horror or thriller out of it. It's not a thriller, it's an extremely dark comedy. I don't know about Depp and I only hope they do it right.

TS

So I discovered thanks to IMDB, that HBC is like Tim Burton's girlfriend. They've been dating for years, and have a kid together.

So THAT'S why she's in all of his movies!!

And I've seen the Lansbury version once on tape, but I'm more familiar with the new revival soundtrack (with Patti Lupone, who is lovely)

So I discovered thanks to IMDB, that HBC is like Tim Burton's girlfriend. They've been dating for years, and have a kid together.

So THAT'S why she's in all of his movies!!

And I've seen the Lansbury version once on tape, but I'm more familiar with the new revival soundtrack (with Patti Lupone, who is lovely)

Ah, I just found the revival recording. It's striking.

In some songs, the full orchestra version with Gemignani and Lansbury is better, and in others, that maddeningly spare texture from the revival with just accordion, violin, bass, clarinet, perc, and piano is hauntingly effective.

Ah, I just found the revival recording. It's striking.

In some songs, the full orchestra version with Gemignani and Lansbury is better, and in others, that maddeningly spare texture from the revival with just accordion, violin, bass, clarinet, perc, and piano is hauntingly effective.

What I love best about that, is that all the actors played an instrument... onstage while the show was going on.

I want to say Mrs. Lovett played something awesome like the trombone, but I could be wrong.