BSG Razor  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think overall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • Average
    • Below Average
    • Poor
  2. 2. Did you find the flashbacks confusing?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Did you find Adm. Cain & the Pegasus more sympathetic after learning about their history in detail?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. BSG has a complex plot (3 seasons & going strong) Did you get lost?

• Yes
    • No

Saturday night Sci-fi network premiered Battlestar Galactica Razor- the story of Admiral Cain and her ship the Pegasus.

What did you think?

As a writer, I was a bit critical of the was flashbacks were handled. There were a lot of them and I found it a bit confusing

James

Yes the flashbacks were confusing - I kept having to remind myself what exactly was going on before the flashback started. But overall it was really good. Enough to keep me interested and waiting for season 4. Some of the things revealed I already knew (i.e. Gina and Cain's relationship and Starbuck as the harbringer of death) but it was done well.

The other thing is that it was a movie and they were forced to edit out some things for tv, which you might have noticed when in the credits, a "young cain" or something was credited but didn't appear. The editing out of scenes was probably the reason for the flashback problems. But again, very good and will be waiting (im)patiently til March.

BTW, how could anything go wrong when your XO is a junkie and your flight Captain is an alcoholic? :blink:

That's not so far from accurate. Pilots have a very high rate of alcoholism. Most of them learn their trade in the military which encourages the image of a red hot fighter jock with a bottle under his arm and a bimbo under the other.

It's a very high pressure/stressful environment because in flying, your first screw up can be you last. Worse still you can take a lot of people with you. Military aircraft are high performance machines which occasionally fail for no apparent reason either killing a pilot or ruining his career.

Before 911 and the changes made by the TSA (Transportation Security Authority) airlines nervously winked at bleary eyed hungover flight crews because they didn't want to get into it with the pilots unions. After 911 the TSA put their foot down and made some high profile arrests of hungover pilots who showed up to work with a blood alcohol level still too high to drive legally.

Alcoholic pilots are such a problem that every major airport has a special Alcoholics Anonymous meetings called Birds of a Feather groups where pilots can help each other stay sober. The one at Dallas-Fort Worth Birds of a Feather chapter meets 4 times a day and draws over 100 at each meeting.