Prostate

Jack Scribe

With the recent death of Dan Fogelberg due to prostate cancer, I wanted to share this public service announcement that promotes the need for check ups...especially men 50 years of age and older.

It's worth the 2:04 minutes of your time, whatever your age. Younger GA'ers have dads and uncles who need to be proded (pun intentional) to have PSA and digital exams on an annual basis.

Jack B)

Hey Jack,

Funny that you brought this matter B) . I'm the living example to support your suggestion !

Since I was 52, I checked yearly my PSA (prostate specific antigen). In 1996, an early prostate cancer was diagnosed and cured through surgery. I went on with the yearly checking. In November 2005, cancer was back, and was cured again trough irradiation therapy. Now 2 years later, thanks to regular check ups, I'm still alive, in good health and able to do everything I want, like I was 20 years ago, just slower :P .

If you want to know more about my experiences with prostate cancer, just PM !

Life is fun when you can control it :D .

Take care and live happy,

old Bob

I've already had my Christmas goose, thank you very much! :P

This thread is really going to gross out the teens here at GA. :lol:

Conner (who's a little past 50) :funny:

B) .........Ahem!! true but neccessary.......I say a certain goat should get checked 4 times a year :P

B) .........Ahem!! true but neccessary.......I say a certain goat should get checked 4 times a year :P

I'm not gonna comment on the goat needing a specific type of exam, nor what should be used to do the "probing"

This thread is really going to gross out the teens here at GA. :lol:

Conner (who's a little past 50) :funny:

Why should the teens be grossed out by a simple blood test 0:)

I really should post a picture of the device in the lobby downstairs. It is a prototype device that places a positron detector right next to the prostate to give early detection of prostate cancer, but looks more like one of those machines people use for ... um ... anal pleasure

:king: Dr. Mr. Snow "Snoopy" Dog

I'm sorry to hear that :( . While I (and others) can poke fun, any form of cancer is a serious issue. Some of us just deal with stress with (often inapproriate) humor.

:king: Snoopy

We can joke about a lot of subjects. Why not cancer ?

Humor is sometimes the best weapon against death and the fear of it. Those of us who had to serve during cold war, Viet and Desert Storm had the opportunity to appreciate it. As we say in German : "Galgenhumor" (gallows humor) is often the best way to fight against the lack of courage :P .

BTW, driving a car is much more dangerous than prostate cancer :P:lol:B) .

We can joke about a lot of subjects. Why not cancer ?

Humor is sometimes the best weapon against death and the fear of it.

Up until her death this past summer, my mother was the older half of a set of twins. It was quite eerie the way the two sisters would duplicate things, even living several states away from each other. I remember many times receiving the exact same Christmas card from my aunt that my mother had sent. They almost consistently sent the same birthday card to each other every year and on the rare occasion when my mother was ill, my aunt almost always was ill too. My mother used to complain though, that no matter what ailment she had, her sister (at least according to my aunt) was worse. When my mother was in the hospital and had just been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, one of the first things she said was

• Site Administrator

My eldest brother is still recovering from treatment for prostate cancer. The form of cancer is one that has a genetic indicator so the rest of the males in the family have also been advised to have regular checks. I've had one so far and it came back negative.

For over thirty years I lived with the belief my father died from prostate cancer. He was too embarrassed to admit it, though. He called it hip cancer. And, my mother believed him, too. He even went through a bilateral orchiectomy, which was the standard treatment back then, without her knowledge.

When my mother passed away last month, we found my father's autopsy report. His prostate cancer had metastasized to his aorta, but the cause of death was congestive heart failure, which he had been in treatment for a number of years. Of course, the necrosis in his liver wasn't doing him much good, either.

I had my digital exam a few weeks ago and another PSA, which came in lower than the baseline test five years ago. I may not be in line for prostate cancer, but it's stupid not to get tested every year. Besides a finger up my ass really isn't that bad. :D