What do you do with your exs?

JSmith

More specifically, your most recent breakup  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What happens when you break up with someone?

• We usually stay friends
    • I stop talking to them completely
    • We still have sex but aren't attached
    • Move on and leave it up to them to decide
    • Stalk them and scare away their new boy/girlfriends
    • Bury them and hide the axe.
    • Other

I voted that I let them decide, but that isn't entirely true -- my first 'real' boyfriend from years ago started out as a good friend, then we became a couple, and then we drifted apart, I don't remember why, but we were still friends (I remember at one point he sheepishly said that he'd slept with one of our mutual friends and asked if that was okay with me, which it was). Then I went abroad for a while and didn't see him, and he got married to a woman who doesn't let him see his exes unless they're married, too... how awful is that? blink.gif So since I'm not married, he keeps our communication to a minimum. If I got to choose though, I'd be seeing a lot more of him.

With my next ex I was so relieved that he split up with me that I just didnt consider phoning him for months afterwards, and since he didn't either, our friendship ended. But then there wasn't really any friendship there to begin with; it began with sex and when we got to know each other, more and more unpleasant sides emerged (in him, that is, dunno about myself... ;) )

And I haven't been in touch a lot with my latest ex either, but I saw him about a week ago -- he invited himself -- and I'm glad that he did, because he was great to talk to. :D I can understand, now, why his exes always want to stay friends with him. (He was immensely annoying to have as a boyfriend though!)

I always find it a bit sad when couples date for a long time, but then never talk after that. Sure, maybe they weren't friends beforehand, but it just sucks- you wasted a hefty amount of time with them, and you can never enjoy their company again? But maintaining a friendship is hard. Even with people who were friends to begin with, like good friends, it could be awkward and takes a bit of work.

That is so true. A short-term relationship is one thing but as soon as it's longer it's really sad if they're not on speaking terms.

I believe in unconditional love. If I love someone it's forever whether we are together or not. Sometimes it is hard but it's worth striving for.

Me too, but yeah, it can be very hard. But when I really love someone it's forever, or else it wasn't love in the first place.

i really try to avoid my ex but she calls a lot. shes bitter and upset but i did dump her for someone else so i figured she would be. i try to be nice but its hard when she starts ranting about how much i hurt her and how im dating someone who doesnt deserve me.

its all crap talk and it gives me a headache.

• Like 1