Hear No Evil

sat8997

Hiya,

Got a new computer yesterday, a Dell Inspiron 530. Only problem I'm having is my speakers don't seem to work. These are the same set of desktop speakers I've had for several years and they've always worked just fine. They have no volume control of their own, the volume is adjusted via the computer. Anyone want to tell me which of the six different colored speaker jacks I'm supposed to be using? I've tried them all and still nothing. I'm stumped.

Thanks,

Sharon

Hiya,

Got a new computer yesterday, a Dell Inspiron 530. Only problem I'm having is my speakers don't seem to work. These are the same set of desktop speakers I've had for several years and they've always worked just fine. They have no volume control of their own, the volume is adjusted via the computer. Anyone want to tell me which of the six different colored speaker jacks I'm supposed to be using? I've tried them all and still nothing. I'm stumped.

Thanks,

Sharon

Mmm, I couldn't tell you which colour jacks to use, but are you sure that the speakers you've had for several years are compatibe with a brand new computer?

Menzo (who really isn't that tech-savvy, sorry)

Mmm, I couldn't tell you which colour jacks to use, but are you sure that the speakers you've had for several years are compatibe with a brand new computer?

Menzo (who really isn't that tech-savvy, sorry)

Speakers are speakers ... not much changed there in the last 50 or so years :P

The only problem could be if your sound card does not have an amplifier build in (which i doubt - but its a possibility).

I suppose you have a surround card, if you have multiple outputs.

on my PC, the color code is :

gray = side speakers

black = rear speakers

brown = center bass

green = front

blue = line in

red = mic in

i have my speakers attached to the green (front) output, which works fine for me.

If you use Vista, you may have to enable the output on the speakers. Maybe you can set your soundcard to "stereo output" (instead of surround) - as you have only 2 speakers attached... but that depends on the sound card..

the card may "detect" on which outputs the speakers are attached (mine does) to set the proper mode (stereo or surround sound..). Make sure to attach the speakers to the green outlet, maybe even before booting the PC.

Pete

Edited by YaP

The online Users Guide says it's the green one.

Edit:

I can't get the URL thing to work so here is a link to the users guide.

support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/EN/OM/setting.htm#wp1043338

Hiya,

Thanks,

Sharon

I just bought a new laptop. I have an older Dell Dimension as well. Those are labeled, but difficult to see. I did not have that problem with mine. I hope someone helps you with the problem.