Bare Butt Brave by Vince Water

Christopher is a teenage boy who recently lost his parents in the wilderness. Fort Union on the Missouri has become his temporary home. He's fascinated by the Blackfoot Indians who visit the small fort to have their portraits painted. One Indian brave reveals his longing for Chris. It forces a difficult decision upon the boy. Not of their budding love but one of clashing societies and values. Can their love grow strong enough to overcome the difficulties between their two cultures?

• 2 years later...

I really liked it - sensitive and passionate. It kind of leaves one hanging, though, ready to be pulled in to the wonderfully written, though Brechtian (epic, unfinished, with jumps between) New to Love series.

There may well be some stereotypes and projections of how life was (in BBB), but there often are in romances (are romance stories anything else?). The present-day NtL saga, which continues from BBB, is a portrayl not only of love in an interracial couple, but of contemporary life on and off the reserve, the struggles to maintain tradition, fight against corruption in the powers that be, and to gain respect for gays in an often divided community. And there's alot of sex, but it is much heavier on love and deeper ways of connecting.

I am just sorry the author couldn't complete that series- he put so much into it. I mean there is so much richness there.

Edited by umi