Mechanics 101 for 7/14‏

- This is a weird one that has come up from time to time. And I figured I'd post it here for our writing and reading gurus to post their opion on. (Ahem...yes, that's you guys!)

This time, it is the often confusing use of the words 'use to' and 'used to'.

It's meant to say the exact same thing, but I've seen it done both ways before.

Example..."I 'use' to like Josh, but now I don't." or "I 'used' to like Josh, but now I don't".

Is one of these just plain 'wrong', or is it simply a matter of dialect, depending on where you come from? Let us know your thoughts on this.

• Site Administrator

Used is the correct term but the way some people say it, it sounds like 'use'. So, if you want to be correct, use 'used'. If you want to portray a dialect in dialogue, use 'use'.

Personally, I would always use 'used' because it's not obvious to people that it's a dialect, unless you do similar things to the rest of that particular characters dialogue. If you don't, it'll stand out as a typo, rather than a pattern of speech.

Used is the correct term but the way some people say it, it sounds like 'use'. So, if you want to be correct, use 'used'. If you want to portray a dialect in dialogue, use 'use'.

personally, I think people are always saying used to, but the d is swallowed. that's how it sounds in my head, anyway. ^_^

seeing "use to" even in dialogue makes me cringe.

I *THOUGHT* it was 'used to'!

You know, I kept thinking about it, and often when I have an issue with a certain word or phrase, I try to say it out loud to see if it 'sounds' right. But with this one, it was hard to tell the difference. (At least when *I* say it, hehehe!)

Thanks for helping to clear that up!

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..