Hallmark Promotes unhealthy lifestyles

rknapp

Thanks Hallmark! :D

I think the new cards are cute and lovely, although while not being as open as other cards- (cough)birthgay(cough) being from Hallmark they send an entire different message, a message which should hopefully help to persuade more companies to make products/items with the LGBT consumer in mind.

EmulatedLove

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank You Hallmark for going out to reach where the market calls.

;) .............I think I'm going to e-mail Hallmark, because of their stance on equality I will only buy their cards from now on. Instead of those 'cheap' quick laugh ones you see at the stores.

;) .............I think I'm going to e-mail Hallmark, because of their stance on equality I will only buy their cards from now on. Instead of those 'cheap' quick laugh ones you see at the stores.

Hmmm... I definitely will buy from Hallmark, but I do admit I will buy the 'cheap' quick laugh ones...

Eh, today was my last day at work (sort of) and I forgot to check out the card section before leaving... we sell Hallmark cards that are handled by a lady from the Hallmark store next door to us. I might go out again later after buying a new car insurance policy to check out Deaf books at Borders, and then quickly check out the Hallmark store and the section of Hallmark cards at my store to see if they really are selling those cards. If so, I'm taking pictures with my phone... :)

I haven't gotten one either. *shrugs* But, I've sent my thanks. Hopefully the support will outweigh the complaints. I remember - not too long ago - Heinz pulled a commercial (This one) that featured two men kissing after about two hundred complaints. Mommies and Daddies don't want to explain to poor little Jane why two men are kissing each other. Silly parents. I fear for Jane.

Interesting little clip. Thanks for the link, J.Ross :)

Eh, today was my last day at work (sort of) and I forgot to check out the card section before leaving... we sell Hallmark cards that are handled by a lady from the Hallmark store next door to us. I might go out again later after buying a new car insurance policy to check out Deaf books at Borders, and then quickly check out the Hallmark store and the section of Hallmark cards at my store to see if they really are selling those cards. If so, I'm taking pictures with my phone... :)

Don't get in trouble :P

Interesting little clip. Thanks for the link, J.Ross :)

Yea I thought it was too :)

Went out today to have my uncle check out some problems on my car, then decided to swing by Borders and Hallmark on the way back. Hallmark did not have the cards in the Weddings and Anniversaries section, so dunno if they're just not out yet, or what.

Went out today to have my uncle check out some problems on my car, then decided to swing by Borders and Hallmark on the way back. Hallmark did not have the cards in the Weddings and Anniversaries section, so dunno if they're just not out yet, or what.

Nice little pic here...

GAY-CARDS_s1-274.jpg

The text says "Two Hearts. One Promise." There are a few others.

And, here's an article on the topic that mentions other companies the AFA has 'boycotted', including McDonalds, Disney, and Kraft. The AFA had very little impact, if any, in most cases.

Edited by J.Ross

i havent been to a hallmark in a long time but when i go to the city i will have to check the hallmark just for fun to see if we have these gay cards. The only time i ever buy hallmark cards is if its for someone really important or to make it extra special. At the pharmacy in town the hallmark cards are like $10 and up. Where i can just go to any other store and buy a $1 or $2 card. The only time i will buy hallmark cards is if the design is really nice and has a really nice message. My mother is the type of person where EVERY holiday she has to buy cards for everyone. I am so glad i do not do that. Instead i'll just verbally say "hey Merry Christmas"

If i was married or whatever we want to call it and like come anniversary times or whatever and your expected to buy your hubby a card. If i had a hard time finding the card and found 1 that said from your wife. I'd just go buy some white out:) or Pretty Markers:) Hell just make your own card like back in Preschool!.

As for promoting unhealthy lifestyles its a stupid arguement that the person writing the chain letter is writing. I could see if it was "Happy Heart Attack!". I often joke with friends that i should start my own greeting card business for things like that. and much worse. like "Today your wife left you. Love Your Ex Mistress"

I noticed that the person who wrote the rant was very careful to say as much as possible without ever actually giving any reason for it being wrong. They clutched to their "illegal in 48 states" banner quite tightly, and seemed quite proud of the number, but they tried to make it out that that was the only issue. Also, I may be wrong here but to my knowledge you can't really describe gay marriages as being banned by the law in most states... they just weren't even thought about when the laws were written. Thats like trying to say that very few people own a TV and then using stats from the '40s as your evidence.

Oh, and about the whole 'boycott Hallmark' thing... if you hear anybody saying to do that because of these cards, just tell them that they are trying to interfere with the Free Market and as such are a Communist. It's not correct, but it has more logic than their arguements and you're sure to make them squirm for a moment at least :P .

Martin 0:)

I just read an article about the Hallmark gay cards in Houston's GLBT magazine, OutSmart. It actually made some great points about how this development will probably be the nail in the coffin of the locally owned and operated gay business which produce their own gay greeting cards. Evidently Hallmark also received a very positive 90 out of 100 points from Human Rights Campaign for its dedication to equal rights and non-discrimination. :great:

So I'll definitely try to support Hallmark, but I'll also see what I can do to support the local gay businesses as well.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's over for the local gay businesses, it just depends on what they sell. The Hallmark cards are still kinda vague I think, except the one with two tuxedos. If the local businesses offer better cards (and should if they have been doing them for longer) then they should be fine. Besides, they have to sell other things besides cards, right?

I wouldn't necessarily say it's over for the local gay businesses, it just depends on what they sell. The Hallmark cards are still kinda vague I think, except the one with two tuxedos. If the local businesses offer better cards (and should if they have been doing them for longer) then they should be fine. Besides, they have to sell other things besides cards, right?

Well, here in Houston we have several 'gay stores' at which you can buy books, magazines, shirts, novelties, and sexual paraphernalia. The gay cards are usually also sold in a section of these stores. So I'm assuming some company supplies the cards to the store. I certainly don't think Hallmark cards would threaten the business of the stores themselves to any great extent, but I have no idea what else the card makers themselves make. So it seems possible that if interest and sales significantly declined the cards might not be available there anymore.

On the other hand, you're right about the quality. Hallmark has three cards. There's usually a whole wall full of the gay cards at these stores. You also have a much bigger range. You can get everything from dirty, to funny, to sentimental.

I think the big issue would be the convenience factor. The last time I bought one for a friend it was last minute (on the way to his party) and I had to go out of my way to pick one up. Had they been available at a CVS or something I probably would have just stopped there for speed and convenience. Of course with proper planning I'd rather have gone to the store with more selection.

-Kevin

Well, here in Houston we have several 'gay stores' at which you can buy books, magazines, shirts, novelties, and sexual paraphernalia. The gay cards are usually also sold in a section of these stores. So I'm assuming some company supplies the cards to the store. I certainly don't think Hallmark cards would threaten the business of the stores themselves to any great extent, but I have no idea what else the card makers themselves make. So it seems possible that if interest and sales significantly declined the cards might not be available there anymore.

On the other hand, you're right about the quality. Hallmark has three cards. There's usually a whole wall full of the gay cards at these stores. You also have a much bigger range. You can get everything from dirty, to funny, to sentimental.

I think the big issue would be the convenience factor. The last time I bought one for a friend it was last minute (on the way to his party) and I had to go out of my way to pick one up. Had they been available at a CVS or something I probably would have just stopped there for speed and convenience. Of course with proper planning I'd rather have gone to the store with more selection.

-Kevin

That brings to mind another thing... if Hallmark increases its gay card library I don't think it would be out of the question for them to cut deals with these stores to see their cards inside the stores. Usually "gay stores" are within "gayborhoods", so it would be beneficial to Hallmark as it injects their products into the community. Like I said before, my store (Kohl's) has three whole walls (two aisles) dedicated to Hallmark cards. This area increases to the adjoining Seasonal department during the holidays (Christmas, Chanukuh, etc.) to include decorations and ornaments and such. The cards themselves are handled entirely by a Hallmark employee. Guess what is next door? I mean DIRECTLY next door, buildings attached? A Hallmark store.

Also, like you said, they sell in convenience stores, so I think it's entirely possible that Hallmark would try to sell their line of gay wedding cards in gay stores in major cities. Now, I say major cities (Houston, New York City, Philadelpia, Boston, Chicago, L.A., S.F., Miami, N.O., etc. etc.) because I think gayborhoods in the country (such as New Hope, PA) would not get such attention... but New Hope is out of my way no matter what anyway for just a card.

• 1 month later...
I find this amusing. I mean, greeting cards exist for everything from "Hug Your Cat Day" to "Congratulations on your Divorce". And they're complaining about cards for gay weddings? Give me a break! The AFA needs to get a life.

The AFA is behind a great deal of the muckracking in the California election tomorrow...I just wish they were more concerned over the "Congratulations on Your Divorce" card instead of same sex marriage...but I guess Randy What's-his-name who is the AFA Director wants to keep his options to divorce open--go figure!

------

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you! :D

Edited by kjames

• 2 months later...
That brings to mind another thing... if Hallmark increases its gay card library I don't think it would be out of the question for them to cut deals with these stores to see their cards inside the stores. Usually "gay stores" are within "gayborhoods", so it would be beneficial to Hallmark as it injects their products into the community. Like I said before, my store (Kohl's) has three whole walls (two aisles) dedicated to Hallmark cards. This area increases to the adjoining Seasonal department during the holidays (Christmas, Chanukuh, etc.) to include decorations and ornaments and such. The cards themselves are handled entirely by a Hallmark employee. Guess what is next door? I mean DIRECTLY next door, buildings attached? A Hallmark store.

Also, like you said, they sell in convenience stores, so I think it's entirely possible that Hallmark would try to sell their line of gay wedding cards in gay stores in major cities. Now, I say major cities (Houston, New York City, Philadelpia, Boston, Chicago, L.A., S.F., Miami, N.O., etc. etc.) because I think gayborhoods in the country (such as New Hope, PA) would not get such attention... but New Hope is out of my way no matter what anyway for just a card.

I can't imagine though in the gay part of cites. The gay stores would close cause of hallmark. Now has the family groups won or not?

My sister just linked me to this article:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/stlog/200...riage_cards.php

Oh noes! The KKK is pissed off! Honestly It's a good thing that the KKK is doing this. 99% of Americans dread being associated with the KKK, so now all of a sudden the bigots have something in common with the KKK. Seems to me like we'll have a step towards equality as the bigots will make less and less noise!

I noticed that the person who wrote the rant was very careful to say as much as possible without ever actually giving any reason...like trying to say that very few people own a TV and then using stats from the '40s as your evidence.

Oh, and about the whole 'boycott Hallmark' thing......tell them that they are trying to interfere with the Free Market and..are a Communist. It's not correct, but it has more logic

Martin 0:)

You've described two of the tools of illogic and propoganda which AFA uses. The first is "selective evidence"; the second is "the big lie." What you didn't mention is what a cash cow the AFA is for the Wildmon family. If everyone in this country boycotted liars, I suspect AFA would fold in no time at all. I say this after having listened to hours of their radio programming, including a program hosted by one of the Wildmon children, and having identified numerous lies in the form of fallacies of logic and propoganda. One doesn't have to be an atheist to dispise their treatment of the truth. And, how anyone can pretend to call themselves a Christian and spout hatred is beyond even this misanthrope. Okay, selective misanthrope. :P

"Hallmark is a private company obviously driven by greed. Let them know you do not appreciate Hallmark promoting a lifestyle which is illegal in 48 states. American Greeting Cards, Hallmark's competitor, does not offer same-sex marriage cards"

Economically, greed is GOOD. This just sounds like cheap, hateful propaganda; taking advantage of a good opportunity. > :P However, economically, they might just be giving Hallmark some competition, which is good for consumers. :P

I wouldn't mind getting my parents a same-sex anniversary card as a gag gift. :D

Edited by ArpeGGio

"Hallmark is a private company obviously driven by greed. Let them know you do not appreciate Hallmark promoting a lifestyle which is illegal in 48 states. American Greeting Cards, Hallmark's competitor, does not offer same-sex marriage cards"

Economically, greed is GOOD. This just sounds like cheap, hateful propaganda; taking advantage of a good opportunity. > :P However, economically, they might just be giving Hallmark some competition, which is good for consumers. :P

I wouldn't mind getting my parents a same-sex anniversary card as a gag gift. :D

Competition? No, they're giving Hallmark a competitive edge with a significant portion of American consumers. Honestly I think only the extreme religious whackjobs, the same ones capable of even thinking of this type of boycott, would buy into it. 99% of Hallmark products do not support the mythical "gay agenda" and probably that much of the population would never notice the gay wedding cards. Believe me I've looked for them in Hallmark sections and have yet to find them in a retail outlet of any kind.