The Writer's Funk

everyone goes through funks, wrooters just get them for different reasons. I would recommend just chanigng your email and no longer allowing that as a form of feedback, rather just have people post in response or something. That's about as helpful as I can be aside from just offering my sympathies.

• Like 1

I would suggest just closing the email and/or yahoo goup, and then taking some time off. Be free from the obligation to get chapters out right away because your readers bitch. Tell everyone you're taking a month or however long off. And if you feel like writing in that time, then write. But don't post it.

Enjoy your life, Dom. Get drunk and be happy :lol:

• Like 1

Dom,

I'm sorry that you are feeling stress from the writing/posting process. This is especially disturbing, because there are so many people who really do enjoy your stories, and it seems like you are getting hammered from both sides (people who hate you for who you are and people who love your stories SO much that they forget to appreciate that you are not their personal author).

I hope venting has helped; I'm happy to 'listen' anytime.

To the extent you're seeking advice, I'm not sure I can give much. Though I've been writing, I haven't posted anything, partially because I want to have a set number of chapters completed, certain story issues resolved, etc. before I turn it over for public consumption.

Beyond the ideas you've already suggested (changing email, limiting access, hitting 'delete' a lot), I would just add that you should write what you WANT to. Writing shouldn't feel like a burden. Maybe you need to shake things up and write something else if one story (or a few) have gotten you stressed. I know other readers may not like this advice, because I'm saying that it's ok if you put on hold the stories that they are desperate to continue reading. But you have to write for yourself first and foremost, whereever that takes you.

And FWIW, if you gave your fans a choice between seeing the stories you've posted completed sooner and not getting anything else OR waiting a little longer and knowing that you'll keep on writing new stuff and posting, the smart ones will pick the latter anyway.

Happy Writing!

• Like 1