What are your biggest pet peeves when you're critiquing other writer's work?

When you take on the task of reviewing projects for friends or others, what are the things that make you want to tear your hair out?

And when it comes to editing your own work, what are the things that send you spiraling into a state of absolute madness?

Editing/Beta-Reading Other's Work:

• The absurd names that make me play a never-ending game of memory gymnastics! Xavanderasmus, Reliquariatosian, Obericantiana... Seriously, who comes up with these tongue-twisters? In my mind, they'll forever be X, R, and O, because I simply can't be bothered to untangle their full names every single time. It's like a mild annoyance that prickles at me, just waiting for the next time I have to stumble through those syllables.
    • ON a SIDENOTE: the Silmarillion may be a treasure trove of epic lore, but that's precisely why it remains untouched on my bookshelf. It's like a labyrinth of bizarre names that never seem to end, and man, does it drain the life out of me trying to keep up with all of them. It's like a never-ending marathon of mental exhaustion, and I just can't bear the thought of diving into that name-filled abyss.
  • When every character in a story starts blending together like a bland soup and their personalities and voices become a copy-paste job, it's like a one-way ticket to amnesia. I'd be like, "Who's that character again?" And if you add some good ol' head-hopping into the mix, well, that's when I'm ready to throw in the towel and call it a day. I can put up with a lot, but if I can't distinguish your characters or muster up an ounce of care for them, then my motivation to keep reading takes a nosedive.

When critiquing my own work:

• Ah, the joys of proofreading my own writing for what feels like the gazillionth time, only to stumble upon a sneaky little verb that decided to play hide-and-seek. Seriously, why on earth did my eyes fail to spot it during the other 99 rounds of scrutiny? It's like my brain was having a laugh at my expense, keeping that missing verb under wraps until the perfect moment to drive me bonkers.
  • Also, repeating words:
    • He came to play yesterday, and when Hanna asked to play with me today, and when I told Etzy to play with us, we just decided to play each other in a fight to the death, for this is SPARTA!
    • Yeah, I hate missing out on repeating verbs or descriptions. 
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

As a reader, I greatly dislike the overuse of the word "said."  Example: Sherriff Pete said Deputy Jones said the victim said that the perpetrator was about 6 feet tall, with blonde hair.  Then Sheriff Pete said that Deputy Adams reviewed the evidence in the room.  When the reporter asked about motive, Sheriff Pete said...

Or--

"I said, James said that Herb is blonde all over!"
"He is," Joseph said.
"We saw that when he was nude," Ralph said.
"But Joe said his pubic roots are red," Darwin said....

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Repeated words.  I keep a list of commonly overused words such as look, turn, just, like, nice, and many more. Once I finish writing I use Find and Replace on each chapter, with my trusty thesaurus to root them out and change them.

I have to agree in connection with names I cannot pronounce, I don't like them. I may not even read the story if I see names that are brain twisters. They just put me off.

Regarding speech tags such as said, asked and others, I rarely use them. There are other ways to convey who is speaking that make the story more interesting.

Proofreading your own work is aided by time. Leaving your work for a number of weeks or better, months, let's you see it with fresh eyes.

I've found that even with the best editors and beta readers, there is always something that's missed.  It's just the nature of the beast and our brains.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 7:02 AM, ReaderPaul said:

As a reader, I greatly dislike the overuse of the word "said."  Example: Sherriff Pete said Deputy Jones said the victim said that the perpetrator was about 6 feet tall, with blonde hair.  Then Sheriff Pete said that Deputy Adams reviewed the evidence in the room.  When the reporter asked about motive, Sheriff Pete said...

Or--

"I said, James said that Herb is blonde all over!"
"He is," Joseph said.
"We saw that when he was nude," Ralph said.
"But Joe said his pubic roots are red," Darwin said....

I totally agree. When I edited your example, it totally changed when I altered the dialogue tags and included the word "said" as part of the dialogue. 

"I said..." James pondered whether to admit what he'd seen or not. "Er, I mean, THEY said that Herb is blonde all over!"
"He is." Joseph nodded, helplessly eyeing anything but their faces—his friend's faces. Truth was, he was hiding a boner when they saw Herb's whorly bush.
"We saw that when he was nude." Ralph looked up, coyfully shrugging off the admission.
"But Joe said his pubic roots were red," Darwin muttered.

I feel like excessive dialog tags do take the readers out of immersion. Also, writers sometimes forget that dialog tags are also used to denote a sequence of actions.

• "Hold up," he said, gripping her arm tightly.
    • This suggests that the events occur simultaneously, whereas:
  • "Wait." He swiftly snatched his arm away.
    • Implies that the action is sequential.
Edited by LJCC
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Repeated words.  I keep a list of commonly overused words such as look, turn, just, like, nice, and many more. Once I finish writing I use Find and Replace on each chapter, with my trusty thesaurus to root them out and change them.

I have to agree in connection with names I cannot pronounce, I don't like them. I may not even read the story if I see names that are brain twisters. They just put me off.

Regarding speech tags such as said, asked and others, I rarely use them. There are other ways to convey who is speaking that make the story more interesting.

Proofreading your own work is aided by time. Leaving your work for a number of weeks or better, months, let's you see it with fresh eyes.

I've found that even with the best editors and beta readers, there is always something that's missed.  It's just the nature of the beast and our brains.

This is so true when proofreading your own work. Heck, I might even see something I'd missed out on from reading my own work today and yesterday. There would be moments where I'm reading a passage of a paragraph and an entire two-sentence plot enters my brain that changes the course of the story for the better; that wouldn't have happened if I hadn't read my story repeatedly.

There are days when I read my own work from the last paragraph I wrote. And sometimes, my brain would just inform me to read everything from the start, like, "You just wrote an important scene. Read everything to know if it's cohesive," at which point I'd be catching certain words or phrases that needed editing in that single read-through. I think that's where the magic of editing comes from. You, as a writer, literally have the control to weave the story in whatever fabric you choose. 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, LJCC said:

"He is," Joseph nodded, helplessly eyeing anything but their faces—his friend's faces. Truth was, he was hiding a boner when they saw Herb's whorly bush.

Haha! Great example, however be careful with your punctuation in this case. A person can't speak by nodding, however using a comma after "He is," implies it.

But yeah, the examples in your first post pretty much mirror my own pet peeves. While I've not edited other author's work, I've read enough stories with impossible to pronounce names.

Proofreading is a hell all its own. It's amazing how our brains always seem to miss those small errors. 🤪 For my last novel, I used https://quillbot.com/grammar-check on my final draft to catch any remaining goofs, and it found a handful I'd missed.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mcarss said:

Haha!  Great example, however be careful with your punctuation in this case.  A person can't speak by nodding, however using a comma after "He is," implies it.
     But yeah, the examples in your first post pretty much mirror my own pet peeves.  While I've not edited other author's work, I've read enough stories with impossible to pronounce names.
     Proofreading is a hell all its own.  It's amazing how our brains always seem to miss those small errors.   🤪 For my last novel, I used https://quillbot.com/grammar-check on my final draft to catch any remaining goofs, and it found a handful I'd missed.

Proofreading and beta reading are indeed a different world.  I was beta reading and doing some editing for an acquaintance who would not pay attention to "minor things like grammar and consistency." He used a few of my edits, but then changed the story to make it even less consistent.  He died before getting even halfway through the story.

I beta read, for a cousin, three of her books which ended up published by a semi-major print publisher.  She had a great grasp of grammar and consistency, but tended to use drab explanation of colors in descriptive events where colors were required.

If the person one is editing for or beta reading for is reasonable it can be fun.  Another friend writes and has had books self-published, but refuses to let anyone else edit or beta read for him.  This results in having some sequences confusing because he assumes everyone knows what was happening in his mind when he wrote the passage.  It can be confusing to read his novels because of that.  His short stories, on the other hand, are clear.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, mcarss said:

Haha! Great example, however be careful with your punctuation in this case. A person can't speak by nodding, however using a comma after "He is," implies it.

But yeah, the examples in your first post pretty much mirror my own pet peeves. While I've not edited other author's work, I've read enough stories with impossible to pronounce names.

Proofreading is a hell all its own. It's amazing how our brains always seem to miss those small errors. 🤪 For my last novel, I used https://quillbot.com/grammar-check on my final draft to catch any remaining goofs, and it found a handful I'd missed.

Thanks for noticing. I put a period to fix it. I certainly missed that.

Editing Error 101. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There is a paid program called SmartEdit that works with Microsoft Word that can be used to catch repeated words, too. They used to have a free version called SmartEdit Light, but no longer. I have used the free version (I guess once you have it, they can't take it back) to catch overuse of certain words and the dreaded "there - they're - their" mistake that occasionally pops up even when you know better. There is a free trial of SmartEdit if anyone wants to try it out.

• Like 4
On 3/3/2024 at 3:10 PM, Libby Drew said:

I suppose my pet peeve (when I beta read and edited) was to work with an author who requested feedback... but didn't truly want any. I don't expect a writer to implement every content edit I suggested. I do, however, expect them to, at least, consider those suggestions. Or pretend to consider them. 

There is a fine line between mechanics, art and ego. Don't ask for an editor if all you want is a cheerleader. 

I had one where he wanted an editor and a beta reader all in one package. I explained to him what an editor and a beta reader do, and his mind was blown, but he still refused to see the difference. In addition to the fact that he thought he was doing God's work, when I literally said to him in the nicest way possible, "Your writing's shit."

Still didn't sink in. I could name a few things wrong with his writing. But the number one issue I had was the overly flowery words. Pull back man. PULL BACK!

I would literally write:

He was in shock, his eyes widening in astonishment as the realization hit him like a bolt of electricity. (Cut/Shorten)--Change to "He gasped."

Then he'd go back to me and defend his writing.

An editor's note would literally be just this: (Cut/Shorten)

But no, I had to be extra and explain to the idiot (he's a good friend, so I get to call him a tosser) about every change.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, drown said:

(I'd really like to edit a story for someone else. Or beta read.)

You could beta-read the current story I'm writing if you want, which is currently at 70k+ words, and it's still, er, barely done. 

I have a feeling this is going to be around 150k+ long.

I'll probably have people at it once it's done, though. 

Edited by LJCC
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, LJCC said:

I had to be extra and explain to the idiot (he's a good friend, so I get to call him a tosser) about every change.

Did he ever come to realize how rare it is to get constructive criticism from a good friend? 😅

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 1:02 AM, mcarss said:

Did he ever come to realize how rare it is to get constructive criticism from a good friend? 😅

He used to edit my past novels so he's very laissez-faire about it, and I'm like, bitch, I'm doing this for free...now you gotta suck my dick for wasting my time.

Sadly he did not.

But yeah, I'm never editing his work again that twat. Haha.  Although he realized that most editors are shit writers.

I guess that logic goes both ways, where majority of writers are horrible at editing their own work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Repetitive catchphrases.

They are fun, in small doses, but don't use them in every chapter.

In one of the audiobooks I'm listening to, the author uses a catchphrase about every third page. Make the magic happen comes up so often I cringe. Maybe since I try to write, my ear is more sensitive to it.

One of my editing techniques is to have the computer read aloud what my writing sounds like. You would be amazed at how well that works. If it doesn't sound right to you, the author, you know it's not going to work for the reader.

That's my pet peeve and something I try to stomp on in my own writing.

Edited by JamesSavik
derp
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, JamesSavik said:

Repetitive catchphrases.

They are fun, in small doses, but don't use them in every chapter.

In one of the audiobooks I'm listening to, the author uses a catchphrase about every third page. Make the magic happen comes up so often I cringe. Maybe since I try to write, my ear is more sensitive to it.

One of my editing techniques is to have the computer read aloud what my writing sounds like. You would be amazed at how well that works. If it doesn't sound right to you, the author, you know it's not going to work for the reader.

That's my pet peeve and something I try to stomp on in my own writing.

I actually use Google to read my work:

https://cloud.google.com/text-to-speech/#demo

It's free and can read up to less than 1k words; depending on your internet, it can go for more.

It's fairly slow (TO MY INTERNET) once it's past 1k since my net runs like a slug.

The quality of the voice is superb.

And that is so VERY true: If it doesn't sound right to you, the author, you know it's not going to work for the reader.

The number of times I've re-edited my work, thinking it was good but apparently it's not, is a lot.

Having someone read your work helps with your pacing and overall writing.

• Like 3
  • Love 2