Star-crossed Lovers

jovian_w2002

One of the most poignant stories, or plays, I've ever read is called Romeo and Juliet (1597) by William Shakespeare. Throughout the play, the senseless feud between their families prompts their imminent deaths. Every time I watch it on television or on stage, I would bawl over their deaths, even though I know it's inevitable - sometimes I wish the next production I attend would deliver a different ending, but no matter how many times I watch, the ending will remain the same. :( There are many other versions of the same play, but there is a musical alluding to Romeo and Juliet called Westside Story (albeit a different ending) that modernizes the Shakespearean play. :D

Books that present family or internal conflict always fascinate me, and the themes of love and hardship overwhelm me. :)

Do you know of any book that touches on the theme of 'star-crossed' lovers? What do you think about such stories?

I remember there's a gay short film called "Star-crossed". It's a really touching film, but it deals with incest (between 2 brothers), so I'm not sure how it fares with the gay community, lol.

Here's the trailer (ignore the music, it's a little cheesy lol):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XfoUn7PexU

Cheers :lol:

Jovian