The Garrison Rule

JamesSavik

Submitted to the Urban Dictionary:

the Garrison Rule

According to the Garrison Rule, homosexuals can make fun of other homosexuals without being a homophobic douche-bag. The Garrison Rule was introduced to popular culture by Mr. Garrison of South Park in the season 5 episode It Hits the Fan.

An application of the Garrison Rule:

"I called you a fag. Because I'm gay, and that means I'm free to use the word fag."-Mr. Garrison

_____________________________________________________________________________________

What do you think?

This is a rehash of the argument that a person of color may use the n-word freely, but that a person not of color may not. That is no more right than is the Garrison rule. I do not find it amusing when, for example, a comedian makes slurs and uses inappropriate words, and then claims that because he or she is gay/lesbian/black/hispanic/- white/redneck/Jewish/Catholic/other that he or she is therefore free to insult those who may fall into his or her "category." I don't like it, and I am not thin-skinned. (Pun intended.) Further, we have so many different characteristics and fall on so many points on so many spectra (sexuality, libido, skin color, ethnicity, religious beliefs, physical dimensions, education, e.g.) that to characterize someone by any extreme on any of these spectra is pointless and the sign of a very small mind. (Which, by the way, is another point on another spectrum: the bigotry spectrum. We are all more or less bigoted.)

I agree. Why use hurtful words especially if those words are considered offensive by members of your own community?

I will use them in fiction to make a point, set a mood or to put someone in character (or lack there of).

I don't use them in day to day chat.

If you go back and watch the South Park episode that this comes from, it just makes Garrison sound like a dumb ass- just like it does when other minorities do it.

I agree. Why use hurtful words especially if those words are considered offensive by members of your own community?

I will use them in fiction to make a point, set a mood or to put someone in character (or lack there of).

I don't use them in day to day chat.

If you go back and watch the South Park episode that this comes from, it just makes Garrison sound like a dumb ass- just like it does when other minorities do it.

Garrison always sounds like a dumb-ass. It's part of his charm. But I'm with you on this point. When I hear slurs like that they make me really uncomfortable, whether they apply to me or not.

Of course, there are times when it can still be funny:

The news reader's reaction suggested both that she knew she had said a "naughty" word and that she was bright enough to have caught the malapropism. It's not high humor, but it is humor. Thanks for a chuckle to start the day.

The news reader's reaction suggested both that she knew she had said a "naughty" word and that she was bright enough to have caught the malapropism. It's not high humor, but it is humor. Thanks for a chuckle to start the day.

"High humor"? OK, back to the cannabis thread for me. :P

It's all context really. In what circumstances, with what intent, was the "word" used.

One of the finest qualities of humans is our ability to laugh at ourselves. Let's not lose that.

It's all context really. In what circumstances, with what intent, was the "word" used.

One of the finest qualities of humans is our ability to laugh at ourselves. Let's not lose that.

I have to agree with Conner on this. I think using such words can be extremelly hurtful. I'm gay and it would affect me if they were said about/to me with the intent of hurting and insulting. However, I believe one must first assess the situation, time, place and audience when doing something like this. If it is said in playful fashion I don't think it could be that harmful. Same goes for gay jokes. If you don't appreciate your friends or accointances using those words just tell them and everything should be alright.

I did a whole series of lectures two years ago on the development of laws relating to prejudice. One of the things we looked at was the use of language and the demonisation of words. It was very interesting to hear what the various people in the workshops had to say. The lectures were written and delivered to members of the Civil Service who were to be part of a committee looking at prejudice against minority groups in particular with a view to advising the legistlature. Some of the opinion was interesting but a lot made me quite angry... although I didn't show it of course, far too professional for that.

The ultimate decision which the group came up with was that although sometimes it is the intent behind the word that is the key issue there are some words that are so bad that they should be banned per se and that people should not be allowed to say certain words whatever the intent behind them was. The key words that were mentioned by the group in this catefgory were nigger, fag, spastic, etc

Interestingly the group thought that positive discrimination was fine, and that it was also fine for people who belonged to the 'wronged' minorities to use the words themselves... ie the Garrison rule in practice in the heart of government.

I guess I can consider myself lucky to have not had to deal with the usage o the "F" word as an insult, at least not directed at me.

Having said that I don't think it's something that can be generalized as either good or bad. I personally hate word, I've gone as far as to leave the room if the word is brought up, same with the "N" word, and I've told off several people through out the years for using both of them; whether they meant to insult or not.

I know gay individuals who use the word as a point of pride, changing the meaning of the word into something postive as a way of saying "Say what you want, do what you want; you can't insult me/hurt me."

Then on another spectrum I know straight individuals who use the same word as an insult, not toward a gay person but toward other straight people, the twist is that several of them actually have gay friends. An example is my Mothers, boyfriends, son (yea I know, no jokes), he's 21 and has been staying with us off an on for a few weeks now. One of his favorite *playful* insults towards his friends is to call them a fag *forgive me if it offends you* and they all laugh about it.

The thing is though he KNOWS i'm gay, he's even read and reviewed the first chapter of my story here on GA *I was logged in at the time so it looks like I reviewed myself*. He's even called me before from our local (unoffical) gay bar to ask me how to get back to my story cause he found some people who wanted to read it.

Now I'm still trying to figure out what he was doing at that bar (bear in mind its not exclusivly gay) but the point is he's never used it on me, or even used it around me. I only know this because of snatches of conversation that I've heard when he's had friends over.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that yea a vast majority of people still find the word insulting, and it really shouldn't be used frivolously, but I also think that people need to be careful to think how the word is being used in a given situation before they fly off the handle about it.

Best Wishes,

NightOwl88

In the South I've watched and heard rednecks use the word queer with a special venom. They say it like the word tastes like having a turd in their mouth.

Others in the community have co-opted the word for a variety of things- queer studies, queer this, queer that. This has not gone over well with all and has been the subject of some very nasty arguments on the message boards that cut across generational bounds.

Younger guys say take the word back, make it ours. I say fine, you can have it. Just don't use it on me of I'll punch you in the mouth.

I cringe every time I hear it... because for years when I heard the word, I knew that I was about to be in a fight.

In the South I've watched and heard rednecks use the word queer with a special venom. They say it like the word tastes like having a turd in their mouth.

Others in the community have co-opted the word for a variety of things- queer studies, queer this, queer that. This has not gone over well with all and has been the subject of some very nasty arguments on the message boards that cut across generational bounds.

Younger guys say take the word back, make it ours. I say fine, you can have it. Just don't use it on me of I'll punch you in the mouth.

I cringe every time I hear it... because for years when I heard the word, I knew that I was about to be in a fight.

Very good point, as was Night Owl's. It focusses us on the other side of the arguement so to speak. When a word, any word is spoken there are two things going on. There is the way it is spoken and then there is the way it is heard. We filter language through our own experience and moral framework. Even if the word is not 'said' with malice it can be heard with pain. A good thing to keep in mind I think

Very good point, as was Night Owl's. It focusses us on the other side of the arguement so to speak. When a word, any word is spoken there are two things going on. There is the way it is spoken and then there is the way it is heard. We filter language through our own experience and moral framework. Even if the word is not 'said' with malice it can be heard with pain. A good thing to keep in mind I think

Very well said, much more concise and to the point then my post was...I do tend to ramble. I actually laugh and say thanks when I get called a Queer, (again sorry if I offend), I mean I know I didn't go through what a lot of people went through with the word and it being used in a hurtful way all the time. But when I hear it I just go back to its original meaning, strange or unusual. We're all a bit strange and unusual, gay, straight, bi, or trans, why be ashamed of it.

Like you said, it goes back to the individuals experiance.

Very well said, much more concise and to the point then my post was...I do tend to ramble. I actually laugh and say thanks when I get called a Queer, (again sorry if I offend), I mean I know I didn't go through what a lot of people went through with the word and it being used in a hurtful way all the time. But when I hear it I just go back to its original meaning, strange or unusual. We're all a bit strange and unusual, gay, straight, bi, or trans, why be ashamed of it.

Like you said, it goes back to the individuals experiance.

Well I am certainly strange and unsually and most definately queer and that has nothing to do with my sexuality... I mean just take a look at the hair colour guitar.gifblink.gif