made the news!

On one hand, its cool to see kids standing up for their beliefs like that. But on the other hand...its a Catholic private college. I can't see how much good it will do, because a school affiliated with the Catholic church doesn't have to comply with non-discrimination policies because of the fact that its private. Not to mention that because Catholic teachings are clearly against homosexuality, so the school can pretty claim that forcing them to provide protections to gay faculty would be condoing homosexuality, and would therefore go against their beliefs as an institution. I went to a Methodist college once, and I remember they actually had to look up Methodist doctrine to see if having a GSA would go against it. It didn't, so it was allowed to happen. Still, Methodism is not nearly as conservative as Catholicism. No offense, man, but why would any gay person actually want to attend a college that is affiliated with a very anti-gay church?

I think you're absolutely right. There's no reason for a private college to feel compelled to adhere to basic, anti-discriminatory practices.

On the other hand, there's no reason why Federal Aid, in the form of loans and grants, should be permitted for such a school. After all, it's private, right?innocent.gif

A Jesuit Catholic school, eh? What were you thinking during application time!? There is some hope in trudging through the red-tape though, my school just enacted the non-discrimination policy that we've been bashing our heads against brick walls for 3 years to get passed. Get in good with your student government board or a Dean, who can open doorways and provide credibility that lets you get your foot in the door. At least a few of the higher-ups here are part of the "family," and are happy to quietly help us where they can. Fight the good fight! ... and if that fails, get the hell out of Cleveland and move to a more friendly city like Pittsburgh. Everyone knows we're better than dirty Cleveland! ;)

Guys quit busting his chops for choosing the school he did. Just a reminder that even the Catholic church can change. It wasn't until about thirty years ago that Catholics were permitted to read their own Bible. That is a huge change.

This will take time too and this is how to properly bring it about.

Religious intolerance will only change when the religion becomes intolerable to society.

You can quote me on that.