Message Board Topic 2/22

Comsie

Often, when telling a story with multiple characters, a writer is given an opportunity for greater depth and subtle shifts of focus in the main story itself.

If the main story is all about getting to know the dream boy and asking him to the dance...that might make for an excellent short story. But what if you wanted it to go even deeper. What if the love interest's sister has a crush on the protagonist. And he has to find a way to dodge her crush on him and get to his ultimate goal at the same time? That simple subplot can possibly take a 2 page story, and turn it into a 10 page story. And still be just as interesting, if not more so.

Do any of you use subplots in your stories to create a more three-dimensional experience for your readers? If so, how? What strategies should writers be looking for to utilize extra characters and ideas to make a fuller, richer, story? If you all have any advice, let us know! :)

Guest zomgZACH

I HAVE tried to write something like that, but it just ended up confusing me. I like it when writers include it in their stories, but doing it myself just messes things up.

The writer should have a smart enough brain to keep up with what they're trying to do (obviously, I don't xP)

And it has to be realistic. Don't add too many twists and turns at one time because it'll end up bringing down the whole story. Too many things going wrong in someone's life just makes it seem overbearing and unreal - it can sometimes make it seem a little amateur or childish, because a child wants to shove as much action into a particular section as he/she can.

Well, you know the way I write. If a subplot comes along it goes in... if not it doesn't :)

Thinking over my stories now I can't think of any that have any major subplots, at least not explicitly. There are some which have other things going on which are alluded to but nothing where there are things going on at the same time that are followed if you know what I mean. Feeling somewhat muddled at the moment so that may not make sense... welcome to my world :P

Oops! Hehehe, sorry folks! hat's a repeat question! Don't know how that got turned all around. But good answers still! I likes! :)

Not to worry! I've got a brand new topic for this week coming right up!

:: Working Up Some Comsie Magic ::

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..