Smart Car

Oops. Maybe not so "smart" driving one between two dump trucks.

That's not smart with any car, but that was gets crushed like an aluminum can. Others would be damaged, and it's likely to be deadly, but I doubt the damage is quite that severe on a normal car.

Hmm, I think I'll stick to my nice, big, comfy, safe, gas guzzling SUV!

That sounds like a plan, but don't forget there are hybrid SUVs now!

I wish Buicks would do that. Spontaneously.

(Not yours Tiger).

Just let me teach them how to drive them. Buicks can actually go fast. I should know. I've gone about 80. 0:)

Almost 80? Wow. Are you a bad-ass or what? tongue.gif

Well, there aren't any open roads in the Dallas area. Despite what some might think, there are large population centers in Texas. To really test it out, I need to go somewhere more isolated. :P

Well, there aren't any open roads in the Dallas area. Despite what some might think, there are large population centers in Texas. To really test it out, I need to go somewhere more isolated. :P

Or weave in and out of traffic. You learn how to do that if you grow up in California.biggrin.gif

Or weave in and out of traffic. You learn how to do that if you grow up in California.biggrin.gif

That's not my style. Speaking of weaving in and out, it'd actually be fairly easy with a Smart Car, though there's the added danger of someone not seeing you. :P

That's not my style. Speaking of weaving in and out, it'd actually be fairly easy with a Smart Car, though there's the added danger of someone not seeing you. :P

Actually, No. In order to properly weave in and out of traffic, You need something with more power than a lawnmower. Anyone who has ever tried it in a 3 or 4 cylinder car knows that it just doesn't work. You look(and feel)like an idiot if you have to slow down from 85 to 60, Because it takes you 20 seconds to get back to 85. Unlike a 6 or 8 cylinder car, Where you can get back to 85-90 in less than 5 seconds.

Space-wise it would be ideal, but not with the horsepower they have available. Unless someone were to put Nitrous on one :2thumbs:

But I wouldn't want one anyway, It's not a Chevy Truck, Therefore it is worthless. B)

OMG that's gotta just smoosh the people inside!

I was looking into getting a smart car but the visibility isn't great. Maybe they didn't see the massive trucks... :blink:

More likely, the truck drivers didn't see them.

Perhaps too political for the lounge, so if you click here its your own damn fault if you don't like what you see. :2thumbs:

SUV_crash.jpg

267_oley_suv_crash_killed_51.jpg

fatality_rates_suvs_vs_all.gif

Interesting set of quotes here

In their attempt to appear youthful and hip, SUV owners have filled the American highways with vehicles that exact a distinctly human cost, frequently killing innocent drivers who would have survived a collision with a lesser vehicle. Bradsher quotes auto execs who concede that the self-centered lifestyle of SUV buyers is apparent in "their willingness to endanger other motorists so as to achieve small improvements in their personal safety."

SUV drivers have a troubling tendency to run over their own kids.

hummer-crash.jpg

We can all produce mangled car pictures from crashes and feel all macho and butch because OH we drive a big 'manly' car, but at the end of the day it is unluckiness or stupidity which cause the most fatalities and they apply equally to everyone.

Perhaps too political for the lounge, so if you click here its your own damn fault if you don't like what you see. :2thumbs:

SUV_crash.jpg

267_oley_suv_crash_killed_51.jpg

fatality_rates_suvs_vs_all.gif

Interesting set of quotes here

hummer-crash.jpg

We can all produce mangled car pictures from crashes and feel all macho and butch because OH we drive a big 'manly' car, but at the end of the day it is unluckiness or stupidity which cause the most fatalities and they apply equally to everyone.

Hmmm. I'm not sure that facts are inappropriate or controversial. I find the little graph fascinating, but the pictures are a bit more horrific.

Jack is right, they're not meant for highways. Unfortunately, Americans drive on highways all the time, so they should not even be sold here. I remember see one after a dump truck whacked it. They pulled the driver out in pieces, and the lower section of his spine was cleanly severed from his pelvis.

Just let me teach them how to drive them. Buicks can actually go fast. I should know. I've gone about 80. 0:)

Talk to me when you've kissed 120 MPH in a Chrysler sedan.

Even better, learn to drive in New Jersey anywhere along its border with Pennsylvania. PENNDOT doesn't have "Lanes" in the lesson plan, and neglected to mention that speed limits are merely suggestions. Add to that the high salaries here and the low cost of living there, and I have a recipe for an interesting morning commute. Thank the gods for handling that would make a 5-series blush. :D

Edited by rknapp

The Smart FourTwo employs a 3-cylinder engine between the rear wheels. If you want to weave in traffic, you'd have better luck with a Toyota. At least that one will do all the wide-open throttle acceleration (whether you like it or not!).

Jack is right, they're not meant for highways. Unfortunately, Americans drive on highways all the time, so they should not even be sold here. I remember see one after a dump truck whacked it. They pulled the driver out in pieces, and the lower section of his spine was cleanly severed from his pelvis.

Talk to me when you've kissed 120 MPH in a Chrysler sedan.

Even better, learn to drive in New Jersey anywhere along its border with Pennsylvania. PENNDOT doesn't have "Lanes" in the lesson plan, and neglected to mention that speed limits are merely suggestions. Add to that the high salaries here and the low cost of living there, and I have a recipe for an interesting morning commute. Thank the gods for handling that would make a 5-series blush. :D

Speed limits aren't merely suggestions?blink.gif

The Smart FourTwo employs a 3-cylinder engine between the rear wheels. If you want to weave in traffic, you'd have better luck with a Toyota. At least that one will do all the wide-open throttle acceleration (whether you like it or not!).

Yeah, but stopping could be a problem.tongue.gif

I've never heard of speeding limits as suggestion. lol But I can definitely confirm that radar guns are illegal in Pennsylvania for use beyond the state police on state highways (interstates and state routes... that's it...). Maybe that's what Rob's hinting... Local cops cannot legally catch you with a radar gun, but rather with old-fashioned methods... paint stripes on the road and a timer. :P

No wonder why Jersey drivers annoy the shit out of us.

Edited by Jack Frost

I see that accident and ask myself whose fault was it. A LOT of times when accidents happen with dump trucks/18 wheelers the fault goes to the 4 wheeler driver. I have a CB in my van and would much rather drive boxed in between 18 wheelers than with other 4 wheelers, I feel safer (and it's soooo much fun messing with them guys!). I do let them know what I'm doing though. People think that they can just cut off an 18 wheeler and then slow down. It takes so much longer for a truck that size with a heavy load to slow down, let alone stop and I've seen TONS of 4 wheelers just cutting them off right in front of them. Those trucks have a long nose and the driver sits way up high and it's almost impossible to see a small car pulling right in front of them. I've even had to let a driver know they have a small 4 wheeler on their nose so they don't run them over. YES, there are a lot of asshole 18 wheeler drivers that try to *push* you out of the lane because they want to go faster and you are making it impossible which in that case, if I see that the driver is being a total jerk and driving reckless I won't hesitate in calling the cops on his ass. People like that don't need to be behind what I call a lethal weapon of that magnitude. But unless you have a CB and let a driver know what you're doing, you need to respect them. I consider them to be like a train, they won't stop on a dime.

The fastest I've driven is 115mph on I-20 heading to Arizona. DON'T DO IT AT NIGHT!!!! I hit a road gator doing 85 and it was NOT fun!!! Scared the SHIT outta us!!!

I see that accident and ask myself whose fault was it. A LOT of times when accidents happen with dump trucks/18 wheelers the fault goes to the 4 wheeler driver. I have a CB in my van and would much rather drive boxed in between 18 wheelers than with other 4 wheelers, I feel safer (and it's soooo much fun messing with them guys!). I do let them know what I'm doing though. People think that they can just cut off an 18 wheeler and then slow down. It takes so much longer for a truck that size with a heavy load to slow down, let alone stop and I've seen TONS of 4 wheelers just cutting them off right in front of them. Those trucks have a long nose and the driver sits way up high and it's almost impossible to see a small car pulling right in front of them. I've even had to let a driver know they have a small 4 wheeler on their nose so they don't run them over. YES, there are a lot of asshole 18 wheeler drivers that try to *push* you out of the lane because they want to go faster and you are making it impossible which in that case, if I see that the driver is being a total jerk and driving reckless I won't hesitate in calling the cops on his ass. People like that don't need to be behind what I call a lethal weapon of that magnitude. But unless you have a CB and let a driver know what you're doing, you need to respect them. I consider them to be like a train, they won't stop on a dime.

The fastest I've driven is 115mph on I-20 heading to Arizona. DON'T DO IT AT NIGHT!!!! I hit a road gator doing 85 and it was NOT fun!!! Scared the SHIT outta us!!!

Wait a minute. You have a CB in your van? What is this, 1976? I bet you're like Sally Field in Smokey and the Bandit.wub.gif

Leader of the

Mark, considering that Radar Detectors are illegal in this damn state, a CB is the next best thing. Also, considering that I can very easily get lost in front of my house, it's always good to have a CB to ask for directions. When there's traffic jam and to find out where the boys in blue are giving out candy wrappers, it's a plus! Plus, if you're traveling solo and you're bored to death them boys can keep you entertained sometimes, til they start talking shit to others, then it's a war. Plus, you can flirt like hell!!!

I've never heard of speeding limits as suggestion. lol But I can definitely confirm that radar guns are illegal in Pennsylvania for use beyond the state police on state highways (interstates and state routes... that's it...). Maybe that's what Rob's hinting... Local cops cannot legally catch you with a radar gun, but rather with old-fashioned methods... paint stripes on the road and a timer. :P

No wonder why Jersey drivers annoy the shit out of us.

Who said anything about radar guns... I was talking about PA drivers insisting on driving at or below the speed suggestion. 65 really means 80, pick a lane and get with the program! lol