Uber Skinny

Arpeggio

My friend told me the other day if your thighs touch, you're fat.

That's just ridiculous, in my opinion. She also comments me a lot for my weight. She's always calling me tiny, and skinny, and I'm hot for it. But in actuality, it's pretty gross to be my size. I personally think calling someone skinny is an insult, it's like calling someone a fatty if they are overweight. Everytime I think skinny = unhealthy, and I hate it.

Is this just me? Why the heck would someone want to be ridiculously skinny when they already look good being a healthy weight? :/

Also, I heard a debate about airline companies wanting to make overweight people pay for two seats if they need it. Is this right, or should the company provide bigger seats? I know I get pretty claustrophic flying because the seats are all squished together as it is.

Edited by Arpeggio

I think that the size people are on the outside shouldn't matter at all. We are not built to a formula. We are all different. And that is a GOOD thing. It's the size that we are on the inside that counts... the bigger the better. You're HUGE Lacey :)

• Like 1

Some people have trouble gaining weight, some people have trouble losing, nothing's to blame but biology, and nothing wrong with that.

But

When a person is strictly under/overweight because of the lifestyle they choose to live, that's "uber" disappointing. Of course, there's a range for what counts as a healthy weight and it varies by individual, but if someone is 20 lbs under/over because they eat poorly and never move, that's grounds for being at the end of critical remarks. I have a friend who has trouble gaining weight. He eats right and works out but can't up his size, and nobody gives him a hard time. But I also have friends who gained that beer weight who never hears the end of it.

"It's not who you are, but what you do that defines you."

Edited by Yang Bang

In the south where everything is lowered into a deep-fat fryer, its easy to balloon up and get fat.

Everything is fried: pies, biscuits, chickens and even twinkies. It's enough to drive you a little bonkers.

It's just fun too avoid getting too fat. You get to see those hot people from high school that wouldn't talk to you who have since turned into blimps and have their own gravitational fields.

Also, I heard a debate about airline companies wanting to make overweight people pay for two seats if they need it. Is this right, or should the company provide bigger seats? I know I get pretty claustrophic flying because the seats are all squished together as it is.

Pretty much I feel this is a hard issue, because of what yang says below. If someone is of a large size due to biology, they shouldnt be penalized for it. However, if you are overweight because of your lifestyle, well sorry, I dont hate you for it, but you must suffer the consequences of your actions.

To that end, I'd say that this policy walks a very fine line. People who are biologically big, very very VERY rarely come close to those who are morbidly obese size wise (Say, 300-350lb+ non muscle weight.)

Personally I say, let them charge people. If you take up two seats, you should pay for two seats. However, they must also make those seats big enough, to accomodate those whom are simply big humans (like say, shaquille O'Neal or anyone whom is generally big.) If they are able to find a good balance between making seats large enough to fit people whom are big naturally, and those whom are big because of their choices/lifestyle, I say go ahead, its fair game.

Some people have trouble gaining weight, some people have trouble losing, nothing's to blame but biology, and nothing wrong with that.

But

When a person is strictly under/overweight because of the lifestyle they choose to live, that's "uber" disappointing. Of course, there's a range for what counts as a healthy weight and it varies by individual, but if someone is 20 lbs under/over because they eat poorly and never move, that's grounds for being at the end of critical remarks. I have a friend who has trouble gaining weight. He eats right and works out but can't up his size, and nobody gives him a hard time. But I also have friends who gained that beer weight who never hears the end of it.

Werd. Basically exactly what I said in the above to reply to lacey

It's just fun too avoid getting too fat. You get to see those hot people from high school that wouldn't talk to you who have since turned into blimps and have their own gravitational fields.

I just thought I'd be a jerk, and say that everyone has their own gravitaitonal field, regardless of size :P

Also, Karma is a laughable concept at best (at least karma as most people understand/use it), but thats an entirely different discussion :P

• Like 2

I just thought I'd be a jerk, and say that everyone has their own gravitaitonal field, regardless of size :P

Of course. But the more massive the object, like say an enormously fat ass with its own zip code and airport, the stronger the gravitational field.

Of course. But the more massive the object, like say an enormously fat ass with its own zip code and airport, the stronger the gravitational field.

Putting aside the laughs and giggles, this phenomenon is really pretty sad. The heavier you are the harder it is to lose all that extra baggage, physically and motivation wise. Past a certain age, it's even harder. Once a threshold is crossed, it becomes near impossible and the person just has to live with the fact that they are hopelessly obese. Not everyone can be Jared Fogle. People like that suffer a great deal and it's really kinda sad.

Putting aside the laughs and giggles, this phenomenon is really pretty sad. The heavier you are the harder it is to lose all that extra baggage, physically and motivation wise. Past a certain age, it's even harder. Once a threshold is crossed, it becomes near impossible and the person just has to live with the fact that they are hopelessly obese. Not everyone can be Jared Fogle. People like that suffer a great deal and it's really kinda sad.

Indeed it is quite sad yang. It is possible for people to lose the weight, but after that threshold you mentioned, it is an extremely arduous and long path. Many people simply do not have the strength of character, and strength of will to overcome such an obstacle.

My friend told me the other day if your thighs touch, you're fat.

That's just ridiculous, in my opinion. She also comments me a lot for my weight. She's always calling me tiny, and skinny, and I'm hot for it. But in actuality, it's pretty gross to be my size. I personally think calling someone skinny is an insult, it's like calling someone a fatty if they are overweight. Everytime I think skinny = unhealthy, and I hate it.

Is this just me? Why the heck would someone want to be ridiculously skinny when they already look good being a healthy weight? :/

bold makes me lol, most bodybuilders thighs touch and they are at their optimum of body fat etc. but then again,I have no idea what "thighs" touching means, it sounds kinda gross hahaha.

you should go to the gym, or at least run and tone up, you don't need to get buff, there is a gigantic difference. I can help you with this, if you want.

I can help you with this, if you want.

Is this a date? :P

I've never been even slightly overweight, so I have a hard time sympathizing with people who are, atleast when they constantly complain about being overweight. I try to be nice, but I usually end up seeming like a jerk or similar. I really need to approach it better or be more tactful about what I say. >_<

I used to be really fit. I played badminton at county level, was involved with athletics, thought nothing of walking a couple of miles across the mountains and spent hours running around on a field brandishing a sword every weekend usually after driving for hours to get to the site.

Two children, a broken back, six collapsed discs and a crumbling hip later I am most decidedly overweight and only just getting back on my feet... literally. I have managed to lose 2 1/2 stone in the last 18 months but still a way to go. I am walking now, getting the fitness back again. I am up to half a mile and determined to do more. There is still a lot of pain and sometimes I can't walk at all... hell I can't move at all... but I am not in a wheelchair which is what the doctors were predicting.

I don't moan about being overweight. I'm used to myself and comfortable with it. I don't want to be anything other than what I am but I a little fed up of people telling me that i should be something different. I am losing weight because I want to be able to walk better, not because I hate the way I look or because someone else is telling me I ought to.

Everyone is different. I don't expect someone to tell me not to dye my hair green. I don't want someone telling me what religion I should follow. I don't want someone telling me what clothes to wear or how to live my life. And I don't want someone telling me what body shape I ought to have.

People seem to want a society where everyone looks the same, thinks the same, wants the same things and beleives the same things...well sorry that's not a place I want to be or live.

I'm me... an overweight, pagan, goth freak.... get used to it :)

I don't moan about being overweight. I'm used to myself and comfortable with it. I don't want to be anything other than what I am but I a little fed up of people telling me that i should be something different. I am losing weight because I want to be able to walk better, not because I hate the way I look or because someone else is telling me I ought to.

Everyone is different. I don't expect someone to tell me not to dye my hair green. I don't want someone telling me what religion I should follow. I don't want someone telling me what clothes to wear or how to live my life. And I don't want someone telling me what body shape I ought to have.

And you go gurlfrennn thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The only things that should be of concern are the health/social consequences of being overweight. My mom is a major health freak so she was always like "get off your ass you're getting fat and that's not healthy, blah blah blah" when I was a kid. I use to be kind of a chubby kid in elementary school. Other than the health thing, I did get picked on a lot, and that kinda thing affects a person's confidence and self esteem. I haven't had anyone tell me I should be a certain way in a long time, but I do what I do to keep myself in check cuz I want to because when I let myself go in some way, it makes me unhappy and I feel weird. Like after a long weekend when I'd binge eat and drink, I'd feel so fat afterwards and feel a desperate need to hit the gym asap.

Thighs touching means fat? Sorry, I think if you're thighs aren't touching, you need to eat a couple more twinkies every day... the delicious snackfood, not delicious young men. :P

Seriously, there is morbidly obese and morbidly skinny. If I can see your joints, your cheekbones, etc., then you've got to eat more.

It's not uncommon for people to tell me I'm skinny, but it's just an optical illusion due to my height. In reality, I'm presently 18 pounds overweight (was 20 pounds over last week and 25 pounds over in January, working on it slowly) and have a lot of stomach fat that I don't like, and not for any superficial reason.

I want my stomach fat gone for two reasons. The first is I had to struggle to reach my snowboard bindings this year. I can reach them easily while standing, but I don't have the right balance to do it that way. I always have to sit down on the snow and lean forward, which for the first time ever became a problem in January. I changed my eating habits (not in a good way; I ate much less, which is a bad way of losing weight). Then I learned of ways to increase my metabolism to eat away at that stored body fat (cold water, green tea, and eating at least two big meals a day and small snacks every 3-4 hours). Doing that, combined with walking a bit more each day, and I managed to lose a few pounds in the span of week. Hell in the span of three days last week, where I brought up my 20" alloy wheels and installed on my car for the summer on Tuesday, took John to AC on Wednesday and walked around on the boardwalk, and hanging out with him on Thursday, I lost four pounds. My goal is 200 pounds, right where I should be for my height and age.

The other reason is overall health. Stomach fat can lead to a "beer belly", which is something has been known to encourage heart and lung complications. I've had trouble breathing and a rough heartbeat before, I'd like to avoid a heart attack or stroke early in life, especially since my pastimes require me to be able to board down a mountain at 50-60 MPH and stop quicker than a 'Vette, and be able to lift wheels and tires weighing in at over 60 pounds each.

• 2 weeks later...

In my very humble opinion, it sounds like your lady friend is trying to say something. I don't know what, but you might wanna keep an eye on that. I'm getting some serious negative vibes about that and those are no good.

You really can't judge a person's weight on something as small as "thighs touching." You've got to put so many other factors on the line. I was told, if you wrap your thumb and index finger around your wrist and they *don't* touch, then you're big-boned. Not *fat*, just that you have a large frame. If they do touch, then you've got a slender frame.

Then, there's the body-fat index, and height vs. weight and so many other charts, numbers and crap to determine if you're the right weight for your body.

Hon, I've been fat. And yeah, it sucked to look down and have to suck in my gut to see my feet. But I never let it get to me. That's the ticket there. If you are *truly* comfortable with your weight, then you don't think about it. You don't compare yourself to other folk and you don't shove your ideals on other folk.

Same goes for skinny...er, "slender" folk. You either work on keeping yourself trim, or your body does it naturally through the magic of metabolism. There are other factors in there, I'm sure - but! What is most important about all of this is "are you happy with yourself." Nothing else matters.

I think that all these labels are meaningless. People label everything; foods, animals, machines. This is good for you, but this thing we thought was good we discovered can kill you. In the 20s - 50s, smoking was considered healthy for you! Now, not so much. In Medieval times, being portly was a symbol of wealth; now, women are being praised for being a size 0. Makes some people feel good. Makes others feel bad. It happens.

You just keep doing what you're doing to maintain the body you want to wear. Don't mind all these stereotypes and labels! ^_^ Individuality is the shit, baby! :king:

• Like 1

Well, I have never been 'skinny' so to say, but i have never really been fat either. I'm just sort of avg. I play tennis and I have never been too happy with my avg size but I have never wanted to look like a skelton either. But to each his own I guess. My best friends boyfriend is just naturally skinny he just can't gain weight. She loves him just the same though!

Pretty much I feel this is a hard issue, because of what yang says below. If someone is of a large size due to biology, they shouldnt be penalized for it. However, if you are overweight because of your lifestyle, well sorry, I dont hate you for it, but you must suffer the consequences of your actions.

This phrase has been bothering me for days, I keep subbing in words like "gay", "bi" and "cross dresser" , for "large" and "overweight" and the statement, despite your denial, does sound hateful and judgmental.

Maybe you don't really mean it that way. It is very easy to be misunderstood on the Internet. I guess if you mean by "you must suffer the consequences of your actions", with things like health problems, I can get that, but not if it means discrimination from people, comments from people, etc. are ok.

Maybe you don't really mean it that way. It is very easy to be misunderstood on the Internet. I guess if you mean by "you must suffer the consequences of your actions", with things like health problems, I can get that, but not if it means discrimination from people, comments from people, etc. are ok.

It was his opinion on airline seats being accommodated for obese people. He said if they are overweight due to lifestyle choices, then they suffer the consequences by paying for extra seating on airplanes. If you read it again, he really didn't mean overweight people need to suffer consequences by being made fun of. He didn't mention anything at all other than his opinion on the airplane seats. :)

Seems like you might have taken his words out of context, I'm not sure.

Edited by Arpeggio

It was his opinion on airline seats being accommodated for obese people. He said if they are overweight due to lifestyle choices, then they suffer the consequences by paying for extra seating on airplanes. If you read it again, he really didn't mean overweight people need to suffer consequences by being made fun of. He didn't mention anything at all other than his opinion on the airplane seats. :)

Seems like you might have taken his words out of context, I'm not sure.

I hope I misunderstood Skyline, but then Yang Bang said this:

"When a person is strictly under/overweight because of the lifestyle they choose to live, that's "uber" disappointing. Of course, there's a range for what counts as a healthy weight and it varies by individual, but if someone is 20 lbs under/over because they eat poorly and never move, that's grounds for being at the end of critical remarks."

If I hadn't seen blatant "size-ism" in the gay community, especially among younger people, I wouldn't give it a second thought, but I've been at tables at the local coffee house, like the Abbey in WeHo before it went crazy bar place, and heard the catty comments from my friends about overweight and underweight guys. It always makes you wonder when you leave the table what comments are made about you.

I am okay with the large person having to buy two seats if they won't fit into one without spilling over into the next seat, but not the judgment, especially given that overeating is often a symptom of some deeper hurt, ditto for undereating.