2010 Hockey Playoff Pool

Well bye bye to Detroit and everyone who picked the Wings. I am suprised that they went out in five.

Really enjoyed the Canadians/Penguins game tonight. Too bad Les Habitants did not get the go ahead game :(

Things are getting interesting :)

Bye bye? How about good riddance. devilsmiley.gif

I feel your Canadian pain, and I want to root for the Habs, but the Penguins....sometimes it's just so beautiful to watch them play.

I feel your Canadian pain, and I want to root for the Habs, but the Penguins....sometimes it's just so beautiful to watch them play.

What is beautiful about how they play? I watched the game last night and it looked like two college teams. Then again I am spoilt with the Red Wings as my local team.

Anyway, my bracket is pretty jenky now. I hope Hartford can make a comeback and save me a little dignity.

• Site Administrator

Vancouver used to be the Hartford Whalers, they were my favourite team before they moved. They still wear the Whaler's logo on their shoulders and sometimes dress in the Whaler's uniforms completely.

Hartford played in the now non existent WHA from '72-'79. The WHA was an attempt to have competition to the NHL. When the league collapsed in '79, I know Hartford, and I believe the Edmonton Oilers and Winnipeg Jets and the Quebec Nordiques all became part of the NHL. Interestingly, only Edmonton remains of the original teams. Quebec went the Colorado, Winnipeg went to Phoenix, and Hartford went to Raleigh N.C. to become the Carolina Hurricanes.

Vancouver on the other hand became part of the NHL in 1970 along with the Buffalo Sabres. Vancouver was an expansion team and I believe was not a team in another league before. Vancouver did have another team called the Blazers who were sold to Calgary to become the Cowboys. Not sure if that was the WHA or not.

As far as there logo's, I'm not exactly sure of the shoulder logo, but it is quite possible that they have a whales tail on it. The teams logo is a Orca in a arc, and is strikingly close to a logo that Sportsnet (Canadian National Sports Network) uses. It seems their new uniforms they borrowed a lot of stuff. At least they are much better than the horrible uniforms of the '80's and '90's :P

If you want to cheer for Vancouver though, I'm sure tjajcj will be happy :D

One last side note about moving teams, rumours have that Phoenix might come full circle and end up back in Winnipeg after the move to Phoenix. It will be seen on Monday if the City of Glendale wants to save the team and make some concessions on the monies owed.

Yes please cheer for Vancouver! We obviously need all the support we can get. It has been absolutely agonizing watching them play the last three games, especially the the two that were played at home. :(

Bye bye? How about good riddance. devilsmiley.gif

Hater. mad.gif

Then again I am spoilt with the Red Wings as my local team.

We DRW fans can't expect them to be in the Finals EVERY year. But it still hurts. At least we lasted longer than the Avs.

The Habs made it game seven now. :P

PLEASE MAKE CROSBY CRY!

Did you see when Crosby grabbed on to Plekanic's skate in the third period and wouldn't let go after he (Crosby) had fallen down? (I think it was Plekanic...) He was acting like a spoiled toddler.

The Habs are a pleasant surprise this year, Jaroslav Halak has been a rock and now that we're getting some of our defense back from injury reserve game 7 should be very interesting. Oh, and I love the Montr

I actually missed the game. I just read about it on Radio-Canada showing pictures of the Habs fan pouring all over the downtown streets doing an outdoor after-game party. We know when to party too.

Imagine a bigger party when they win game seven. They're going to put a HUGE screen in Centre Bell for all fans to watch while the game goes back to Pittsburgh. :D

hehe

Crosby let two pucks in under his nose during 1st period. It was a bliss having him watch one go in while in the plenty box at 0.36. :P

:D

EDIT1: So awesome... 4-1 with 7:30 left in 2nd. :D

Edited by Jack Frost
  • Site Administrator

hehe

Crosby let two pucks in under his nose during 1st period. It was a bliss having him watch one go in while in the plenty box at 0.36. tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

EDIT1: So awesome... 4-1 with 7:30 left in 2nd. biggrin.gif

Ugh, 4 - 2. don't lose the faith though :(

• Site Administrator

Did you see the cross-check call when the guy only had one hand on his stick?

What kind of crap was that? Officiating in the NHL has been terrible since the lockout, I hope they do something about it. It's been pathetic in the playoffs the past two years - I stopped watching hockey last year because of it.

This is absolutely pathetic. Usually the losing team takes all the penalties sad.gif

It seems like the ref's are trying to give a permanant power play to Pittsburgh. Even the offsides are not being called against the Penguins mad.gif .

Whew, finally a Pittsburgh penalty. And the Habs get a rest due to the glass.

Edit to add: Yes, a power play goal thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 5 - 2 with 10 minutes left

Edited by wildone
  • Site Administrator

Yeah Montreal :) :) :):)

Now come on Boston.

Unfortunately the riot police are already out in downtown Montreal :(

I hate it when some ruin the party for all

Unfortunately the riot police are already out in downtown Montreal :(

I hate it when some ruin the party for all

Doesn't mean they can't party. The police is nice enough to close the downtown block off for them. :P

After what happened last year (windows smashed and police cars burnt), the police has the right mind to send in the riot crew. lol

Edited by Jack Frost
  • Site Administrator

Driving home from work I heard the news tonight and I'm absolutely shocked :o I was pulling for Boston to win :( Well if it is any consolation they are the first team since 1975 to have a 3-0 lead of a best of seven series and lose. Okay, I guess that doesn't help ;)

So this means round 2 is over and done. I have tallied up the scores and some are now in the position of gaining no more points. Here is the scores after round 2:

Tarin - 25 points cannot score anymore points

tjajcj - 25 points cannot score anymore points

Red_A - 25 points

Bugeye - 25 points cannot score anymore points

BlueSoxSWJ - 30 points

Nightsky - 35 points cannot score anymore points

Mark Arbour - 30 points

TetRefine - 35 points

NateB - 20 points

So it looks like Tarin, Ramon, and Sam are out of the competition. It looks like Nightsky can hope that no one else scores any points and enter the tie breaker with Matt. This is actually getting interesting.

BTW, anyone who might be cheering for Montreal and they win the next round, avoid the downtown. This is only quarterfinals and 41 people arrested for looting and vandalism. Such a shame that calm, cool, civilized hockey fans get a black eye due to hooligans and thugs who take the opportunity to do their stuff.

BTW, anyone who might be cheering for Montreal and they win the next round, avoid the downtown. This is only quarterfinals and 41 people arrested for looting and vandalism. Such a shame that calm, cool, civilized hockey fans get a black eye due to hooligans and thugs who take the opportunity to do their stuff.

Amen. It's not the hockey fans who did that.

Just some morons who think they would make a revolution pissing off the cops and shopkeepers by smashing glasses.

f**kers.