Cell Phones

I'm an emergnecies only sort of phone user. I'm the kind of person that has a cell phone (or, as we'd call it, a mobile phone (LOL!)) and never has it in the same room as them. I always get harrassed by friends and family for not answering the damn thing, but i never have it on me, and i always have it on silent. I'm better than i was though. In high school i'd turn it off and forget to turn it on again for days. Friends used to go insane about it! I was like- 'what's the big deal? i'll see you tomorrow at school anyway....'

The only time i ever tried to text in class at uni i got caught. Soooo that was awkward.... havn't done it since. And i hate it when i'm on public transport or in the library and someone calls me. I get all short and just say 'yes' and 'no' a lot rather than conversing until the person hangs up. I hate the idea that people can listen into my conversations!

Worst thing happened at Uni last semester though. In my favourite class (best subject, best lecturer... just FUN!) someone's phone rang. Not so unusual in itself. It happens. Normally, person with the phone rummages through their bag and turns the phone off... but THIS person, picked up the phone and answered! Lecturer's eyes nearly bugged out of his head, mouth fell open... and there was a collective "she did WHAT?" sort of gasp from the lecture theatre. Nearly caused a riot. Now i can look back and giggle... but at the time- Outrage! lol!!!

I'm with you all the way. I used to own a 24/7 telephone answering service and after I sold it, the ONLY phone I had was a 75 year old candlestick type from the 1930s. Not even an answering machine. My family and friends went crazy.

A few years ago I got a very simple cell, or mobile, if you prefer, and it sits in my desk drawer - turned off. (Same phone and plan for the past five years.) Sometimes I remember to bring it with on long road trips in case I have an emergency, but that's it. I'm not a mobile-addict.

I can't remember the last time I flipped the ol' phone on! If you ask me, though, it isn't so much the cell phones that are causing the "problem" as the need to prioritize. Humans are social creatures, yes, but I honestly can't understand the mentality of having to be in contact with one's friends 24/7, especially when they're so consumed in their texting that they forget that there's a person right in front of them, trying to talk to them face-to-face. There's always time for chit-chat, but it's more important to get one's duties done without being glued to the cellular menace... Of course, this doesn't apply to jobs where the phone is necessary! Although, I might just be repeating everything the original poster said! laugh.gif So, seldom ever do I use my phone, I don't have the first idea how to text, they can be useful, etc.

Edited by sucre

Sucre - very true!

and Tipdin, i would totally KILL for one of those phones! How cool!!!! if possible i would also like an old old car... maybe a Riley or a Morgan... (lol...)

thing i find really weird, is when you see two friends together having coffee or just hanging out... and they're not talking, but are both on the phone to other people or are texting. It's kind of weird. Don't they want to be hanging out together? I'd be kind of offended if someone did that constantly while i was hanging out with them....

it's somehow both social, and anti social...