Cell Phones

Some of you people....

Ok, here's a question for the addicts: why?

Why is it that you NEED to be texting or calling or in-touch 24/7?

I must confess, I used to own and operate a suicide hotline so any time I can get away from a phone - it's a good thing! But I began to notice that so many people, (especially you youngens!) you actually NEED to be actively involved with your phones - almost continuously.

Do you go without it if you are on a date for the evening?

Some of you people....

I must confess, I used to own and operate a suicide hotline so any time I can get away from a phone - it's a good thing! But I began to notice that so many people, (especially you youngens!) you actually NEED to be actively involved with your phones - almost continuously.

Do you go without it if you are on a date for the evening?

I can't speak for anyone else but my excuse is twofold. My job for one requires that my phone is switched on at all times, even when in meetings a set text can be sent to indicate how things are progressing without disturbing other people. It's a useful tool to have in an environment where communication is paramount.

On the other side, I like bantering with my friends throughout the day, not a requirement by any means, it's just something I enjoy doing. Checking e-mails, surfing the net in quiet moments etc are just some of the things that help break up the day.

If I'm out to dinner etc, then as I said previously, I'm not rude enough to take a call or answer a txt, that's just bad manners. I will mentally note the vibration, but would never answer. :)

I can't speak for anyone else but my excuse is twofold. My job for one requires that my phone is switched on at all times, even when in meetings a set text can be sent to indicate how things are progressing without disturbing other people. It's a useful tool to have in an environment where communication is paramount.

On the other side, I like bantering with my friends throughout the day, not a requirement by any means, it's just something I enjoy doing. Checking e-mails, surfing the net in quiet moments etc are just some of the things that help break up the day.

If I'm out to dinner etc, then as I said previously, I'm not rude enough to take a call or answer a txt, that's just bad manners. I will mentally note the vibration, but would never answer. :)

I totally get the work aspect - I carried a mobile phone when they weighed 10 pounds and came in a briefcase! I understand that it is a vital tool of business.

It sounds like you have sense about using the little beastie - too many lack that sense. I understand wanting to stay connected, but I don't understand when people are rude and disruptive.

If you're in a movie, a classroom, a CHURCH, I don't care to hear your phone ring - or play some of the stupid sounds that people choose. I was in the Library the other day and some guy's phone started going off- his ring tone was Bart Simpson's voice - loud enough to be clearly heard over the roar of a hurricane!

I'm taking some college classes and the gal I sit next to in my CRITICAL THINKING CLASS, is texting throughout the entire class, snickering at funny notes, or trying to show me notes that have come through. Ironic.

I guess this is about boundaries and discretion, what we old farts used to call common sense. I guess common sense has followed common decency into that misty place called 'The Realm of Were.'

Edited by Tipdin

Some of you people....

Well, in my case, the person that I text the most often is my boyfriend. His schedule doesn't always coincide with mine, so if I'm running late for whatever reason, a quick text to him lets him know the current situation.

• Like 1

Well, in my case, the person that I text the most often is my boyfriend. His schedule doesn't always coincide with mine, so if I'm running late for whatever reason, a quick text to him lets him know the current situation.

Perfectly sensible - and sweet!

We need to come up with some sort of medieval torture for people that don't have sense. I was rear-ended while sitting at a red by a woman that was reaching in her purse for her phone while going 65 miles an hour. My sports car was shoved under the semi-truck in front of me, shearing the top off the car. Luckily, I just happened to glance in the rearview mirror and ducked just in time.

My own cell phone was in my pocket - which I used to call the police. (With very shaky hands!)

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised churches weren't mentioned. The times I've been invited I would see signs asking that cell phones be shut off during services. I hate cops who talk on their phones while driving and phones in theaters. Texting on vibrate is one thing but to have a conversation while I'm trying to watch a movie is a pet peeve.

I always try to go for the smallest plans as possible. I never go over 250 minutes. Texting is different. I really don't like speaking much so my communication is mainly through text and emails.

It also acts as a mini computer. At home I'm hardly on the phone but when I'm out I use it like I'm on my laptop. Regardless of what I'm doing my family and best friend are priority for me. I'm in a position right now where I'm heavily relied on. Work and family always overlap. If I'm with one and I answer my phone they know it's the other and somethings going on.

Hopefully in a year things will be different.

I know someone out there will read this and faint but I'm a teenager and my phone is not glued to my hand or ear. :D I hate to text. people text me and I reply very slowly cause i suck at it. I don't text in class cause i forget my phone in my car often. I always have the annoying thing in the car with me in case of emergencies. I get why people are so attached, but for some reason I'm immune to the cell phone addiction. ^_^ Go me!

• Like 1

I know someone out there will read this and faint but I'm a teenager and my phone is not glued to my hand or ear. :D I hate to text. people text me and I reply very slowly cause i suck at it. I don't text in class cause i forget my phone in my car often. I always have the annoying thing in the car with me in case of emergencies. I get why people are so attached, but for some reason I'm immune to the cell phone addiction. ^_^ Go me!

Intelligent and sensible - a rare combination! I vote for you!

I have an iPhone 4 which is really my communications hub whenever I'm out of the house. I can e-mail, surf the net, use instant messenger, and whatever other apps/games, call, text, and skype.

There is a little tab on the side of the phone that you flip to set the phone to silent. I use this tab whenever I enter a movie theater, classroom, library, church, high end restaurant (fast food restaurants I don't bother), or any other place where you are supposed to be quiet.

As long as you turn off the "Keyboard Clicks" sound (Settings -> Sounds -> scroll all the way to the bottom where it says Keyboard Clicks), or just use the "mute tab" as I call it, I don't see any problem texting in a library. In a church or classroom, it would probably be disrespectful, but if it is urgent, go for it...and only for texts.(again, be sure it is set to SILENT!!!) However, in a movie theater, the glow from the screen can be distracting at times, that even with the phone set to silent, people can get agitated if you use your phone in there.

People who know my phone number know that if there is an emergency, they call me 3+ times in quick succession if I don't answer the first time. In those cases, I would excuse myself from the situation, whether in a restaurant, movie theater, or class and take the call.

Edit: 50th post! :D

Edited by thephoenix
Guest Ignorant Pete

I have the iphone4. My employer got it for me. I wouldn't have it if it wasn''t free, I was pretty happy with my razr.

The video is not safe for work or kids, so don't click if you shouldn't.

I use close to 52k texts a month, but I rarely go through even a quarter of my 250 minutes. Text is easier for me since I can moderate what I say to someone before I send the darn thing, which I can't do in a live discussion. I don't have my phone turned on in librarys, businesses, having lunch with friends, or when I am driving a vehicle. I can't very well tell my daughter that she can't use her phone in those situations if I am doing it myself, right?

hmm... i too am constantly with my phone... i almost never have the ringer on, but i dont see the issue with texting in a library... talking on the phone is another issue, but i dont really do that...

as for the 3000 texts a month i dont send QUITE that many, but a lot of my friends do. i send closer to 1500 texts a month...

In my opinion if you are out and about texting isnt an issue. but if you are hanging out at someone's house then i think you should put your phone away and do whatever you were there to do.

yeah... that was me. Until I got a smart phone......

Now my iPhone is third arm, I got my whole schedule on it, my email, texting, web, camera, gps, music...

Woah! It amazes me how most people manage to reach a thousand texts per month. I barely even reach 5-10 texts a month! But then again, the only real use for my phone is for alarms, timers and reminders (and a calculator if I forget mine). I only call when I'm running out of money and need to use the ATM and to organize group meetings (projects, homework, group study). Other than that, I just use it to listen some music when studying. And people wonder why I only charge one to two times a week. :lol:

I HATE in-class texters!! They are soooooo annoying!! What could be so freakin' important that you have to stop taking the final, pull out you phone, and be a huge nuisance to everyone around you? But then again, I don't have a cell phone so it could just be my jealousy talking.

I HATE in-class texters!! They are soooooo annoying!! What could be so freakin' important that you have to stop taking the final, pull out you phone, and be a huge nuisance to everyone around you? But then again, I don't have a cell phone so it could just be my jealousy talking.

Woah, you're allowed to use phones in "exams"? That must be a very "Relaxed" environment. Our professors always make it a point that the moment you use phones in exam, that would count as "cheating" and you'll automatically get a failing mark. Plus they have the authorization to confiscate the phone and settle the matter in the Office of Student Affairs. I can just shudder at the huge fine and tiring community service you get. And here's a worse fate, cheating is a possible ground for dropping or expulsion. -shudders-

I admit to being a obsessive texter ... mostly to Orchid. :) I register around 8k texts per month. That being said, my phone is ALWAYS on vibrate even when I'm at home unless I am expecting a rare call that I can't miss by having it on vibrate. On the rare occasion that I have to take a call in public, I'll excuse myself to a place where I'm not being one of those annoying pain in the butts who think the whole world wants to hear their conversation.

I don't like talking on the phone since my job as a hairstylist requires me to talk to people all day long so texting is my preferred form of communication. I am certainly not rude with my phone and don't text while I am in situations where it in inappropriate. I was bad for texting while driving but I don't do that anymore. Nothing is worth getting into an accident over even if I can text without looking at the phone.

I think one of my best 'phone jerk' stories is when I called the name of a client to take back next and he was on his phone. He had been on the phone nonstop since he entered the establishment. I stood there for a moment while he continued to talk on his phone and held his finger up to me in a 'just a second' gesture. If you know me, you would know that I will NOT be dismissed in such a way but since I was at work I had to control myself. After about 30 seconds of this and no end of his conversation in sight, I told him I was putting him back in the queue and he'd be next in line. Why should the room full of people waiting have to wait longer because he's rude, obnoxious, and self-important?

Most people I work with would have waited. I'm not that patient and to me, customer service to polite clients comes before some a-hole on the phone. While this client may be nice, the phone thing is a constant thing with him and it's rude. I've done his hair before and it's always the same thing. The phone rings and he grabs it and let me tell you, the conversations are not of earth shattering importance. Its not easy to do my job when someone is yapping on the phone and moving their heads around more than a young child would. 'Accidentally' cutting them is always tempting but I have too much integrity for that. 0:)

This was more of a rant than I intended but I think it gets the point across. If nothing else, it made me feel better! lol

I have two cells, one for work and one personal. One of them is always lost and I'm panicking. My boss thinks she can call me any time she wants when she pays the bills. Riiight...

I'd rather call than text, but is there anything more sweet than to get a :wub: message in the middle of your shittiest, most annoying days...? On the other hand, cell can easily put down even the hottest of situations.

I am not gonna lie. I am always texting...I don't talk on the phone as much as I used to in my teens(i am 20 now)

I am also an in class texter as well...My phone is touch screen so you don't hear keys clicking and its silent so you

dont hear key presses....

I figure

A)you are getting paid regardless if i pay attention or not....

B)I don't do it directly in sight....

What aggravates me is people who don't turn their phones off on silent...NOT VIBRATE...Now i think that is rude

I can live without a cellphone but without it, i am usually out of the loop...

For instance, today is the first day of classes...had i not had a cellphone, my friend who is in my class wouldnt have

been able to contact me to tell me not to come to class b/c it had been cancelled or even friends and family

who want to send me pictures of their kids or whatever, couldn't....

I used to average 900-1200 txt a day back in HS

Now at 20, it's down to about 250-400...However my minutes, are generally 0-50 at the most(450 minutes per month)

Also, my phone is a big part of my life b/c how many times have you wanted to know how to spell a word, where a restaurant was or

the answer to a question...Without my cell, i'd have to go all the way to the library or back to the dorm just to get the laptop...turn it on,

search when the phone is in my hand

In reality, my phone is a good substitute for a laptop, it kills time for me while playing games, replaces my ipod,

and is a calculator, an organizer, a camcorder,, etc etc.

So i'd be lost without my cell...

now what annoys me are people who are loud talkers who want you to hear their conversations...

I used to average 900-1200 txt a day back in HS

Now at 20, it's down to about 250-400...However my minutes, are generally 0-50 at the most(450 minutes per month)

Whooaaa... that's a lot of messages! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an emergnecies only sort of phone user. I'm the kind of person that has a cell phone (or, as we'd call it, a mobile phone (LOL!)) and never has it in the same room as them. I always get harrassed by friends and family for not answering the damn thing, but i never have it on me, and i always have it on silent. I'm better than i was though. In high school i'd turn it off and forget to turn it on again for days. Friends used to go insane about it! I was like- 'what's the big deal? i'll see you tomorrow at school anyway....'

The only time i ever tried to text in class at uni i got caught. Soooo that was awkward.... havn't done it since. And i hate it when i'm on public transport or in the library and someone calls me. I get all short and just say 'yes' and 'no' a lot rather than conversing until the person hangs up. I hate the idea that people can listen into my conversations!

Worst thing happened at Uni last semester though. In my favourite class (best subject, best lecturer... just FUN!) someone's phone rang. Not so unusual in itself. It happens. Normally, person with the phone rummages through their bag and turns the phone off... but THIS person, picked up the phone and answered! Lecturer's eyes nearly bugged out of his head, mouth fell open... and there was a collective "she did WHAT?" sort of gasp from the lecture theatre. Nearly caused a riot. Now i can look back and giggle... but at the time- Outrage! lol!!!