The Genetically Gifted

Skyline

So I was watching a show on TLC today, about this young boy Liam Hoekstra, whom according to the program has a condition which has "gifted" him with approximately 40% more muscle mass then average children of his size and age. Now as interesting as it is in itself, it brought up the issue of genetic related discrimination, and the question of where do we draw the line in terms of advantages in sports and competition.The program also mentioned Michael Phelps, saying that he has a genetic condition in which his body is able to get rid of, and deal with lactic acid (one of the main reasons behind muscle fatigue and the 'burning' sensation) much quicker and efficiently than most people. It went on to say that as a result of this many people have questioned how much this genetic advantage contributed to Phelps seemingly endless list of achievements in the pool.

It really is an interesting thought, with no simple answer. So what do you guys think? When does luck of the genetic draw turn into an unfair advantage?

As a side note, I dont anticipate that this will turn into a superheated discussion or anything, but if it does obviously, I'd ask a mod to move it to the soapbox :P

So I was watching a show on TLC today, about this young boy Liam Hoekstra, whom according to the program has a condition which has "gifted" him with approximately 40% more muscle mass then average children of his size and age. Now as interesting as it is in itself, it brought up the issue of genetic related discrimination, and the question of where do we draw the line in terms of advantages in sports and competition.The program also mentioned Michael Phelps, saying that he has a genetic condition in which his body is able to get rid of, and deal with lactic acid (one of the main reasons behind muscle fatigue and the 'burning' sensation) much quicker and efficiently than most people. It went on to say that as a result of this many people have questioned how much this genetic advantage contributed to Phelps seemingly endless list of achievements in the pool.

It really is an interesting thought, with no simple answer. So what do you guys think? When does luck of the genetic draw turn into an unfair advantage?

As a side note, I dont anticipate that this will turn into a superheated discussion or anything, but if it does obviously, I'd ask a mod to move it to the soapbox :P

I don't believe that ti's an unfair advantage at all. In my perspective, I believe that it's a factor in competitions between any species of life. I'm not going to go as deep as to discuss evolution and such since that would be a big stretch. What I mean is that no one is genetically similar, and even if someone so happens to have some of the genes that allow him to compete better in a specific area, it is completely fair. Everyone has genes that are slightly "better" than someone else's in a specific area, it just so happens that maybe Michael Phelps's genes are more than slightly better.Look at stephen hawking, one can argue that he has the genes that made him very smart. Some people have photographic memory that allow them to be able to learn easier. Is that an "unfair" advantage? Should we ban people with gifted genes from the olympics?

We don't understand a lot about genetics. Even the most accomplished of scientists would tell you they are just beginning to scratch the surface. Gregor Mendel knew a lot about genetics 125 years ago. Breeders of animals and plants know a lot about genetics. But we have only scratched the surface.

Genetics explain - even control - hair and eye color, body height and shape and other factors of human appearance. Handsome, blond haired, blue eyed people tend to have handsome, blond haired, blue eyed offspring.

Physical strength may be determined in part by genetics. But genetics can have a dark side. A number of diseases have a genetic factor. I know this from my own experience and I pray every day that none of my sons and grandsons will inherit that particular gene or genetic mutation.

Scientists may one day know enough about genetics that we will all be strong, handsome, and disease free. Until then, we must each play the hand we are dealt.

I would say that genetics can give some people an advantage in certain areas.... but that is pretty much a fact of everyday life and these people are merely the extreme of that. A more everyday example would be me and my flatmate - I have quite a small build and am what could easibly be described as a skinny sod :P . This means I am far more agile than she is. On the other hand, she can bodily pick me up and swing me around whilst barely feeling the strain :P .

Martin

As someone has already said... you play the hand you get. Some hands have duff cards, some four aces. You cant tell someone they can't compete because they are more likely to win through something that is no fault of theirs. Of course artificial enhancement should be banned but if we start stamping our foot and throwing our toys out of the pram every time with think someone has an unfair advantage just because they were born bigger, faster, smarter, more talented then we are going to lose the brightest and best in every feild. Wouldn't the world be poorer if that happened.

• Like 1

As someone has already said... you play the hand you get. Some hands have duff cards, some four aces. You cant tell someone they can't compete because they are more likely to win through something that is no fault of theirs. Of course artificial enhancement should be banned but if we start stamping our foot and throwing our toys out of the pram every time with think someone has an unfair advantage just because they were born bigger, faster, smarter, more talented then we are going to lose the brightest and best in every feild. Wouldn't the world be poorer if that happened.

This, exactly.

Because someone has a trait to be the best at something is all the MORE reason to challenge them, really. Push them and ourselves to everyone's limits, and if they end the game still top dog, then the losers have the satisfaction of knowing they lost giving it their all instead of the partial-satisfaction of beating people not better than they are.

That's why I love to join in on art contests. I'm far from the greatest out there, and I rarely even place, but when I do it's an amazing feeling because I KNOW I earned it, it's not a half-hearted attempt among others of my own league, but something where people far beyond my level can join in and I strive to compete with THEM rather than settle for something less where I stand a better chance.

I guess, in short, without challenge, we don't grow--or, as better stated by one of my favourite fandoms "Only pressure makes diamonds, ease begets decay"

/rambling post is rambly

I wouldn't say it was an unfair advantage. In the natural world plants and animals have their niches into which they fit and they are suited to living within a particular niche well, whereas others not so well.

And it is sort of the same here, people that have been gifted with physical advantages may want to use them and therefore go into sports etc. Whereas those who are more academic will prefer to use that ability.

reminds me almost of the movie gattica where in the future parebts can select genetic traits and make an entire generation of designer babies and after son long the majority of the world is in a sense "perfect" but it leaves to question when the world is almost all perfect people what becomes of thoes who arn't

It has always been this way.

In Europe during the Middle Ages there were the so called "Great Houses" which were simply very successful families. They kept it going by only allowing marriages into other "Great Houses".

This only worked for a few centuries until they were all hopelessly inbred.

Now the top of the genetic pyramid goes to the Ivy League or makes millions of dollars in the NFL or NBA.