He's Old Enough to Be My Dad... But He Isn't.

38 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about dating someone twenty-plus years older than yourself?

• It's alright
    • Unsure
    • It's a bad idea
    • Other (If so, please explain below)

The conventional wisdom on the subject.

You know the only reason that young guys date old farts is their money.

When the geezer runs out of money, the kid is off with the nearest truck driver they can find.

I lost track of how many times I've heard people say things like this, and mean it. The catty comments and society's rush to judgment put extra pressure on the relationship. Not having a common frame of reference can leave a couple with less to talk about. It takes a special couple to make this work, long-term. I couldn't do it, then or now.

This might sound funny, but seeing someone my own age would be a really excotic thing. I have had relationships 10 years younger or ten years older person. Same age, not yet :P 20 years older, why not even older than that? Age is not an issue. My mum might object :P

I have had loving relationships with men who were, 25 years older, 15 years older and 16 years younger. I just realized the age is decending. In truth, I have always been attracted to older men. The age difference for me was less an issue with men who were older. With the younger, I am very much aware. Music, art, theatre, woodworking, cooking and politics seem to be compatible. Fashion is a difference. As to other's concerns about the age difference, so what?

• Like 1

I've always been into people older than me, perhaps because i consider myself mature for my age in some ways (not so much in others ) :)

Idk, I've been told I was born to be with an older person :P

I think its true.

I think it all depends on the people involved. I've been the senior and the junior partner in relationships. A lot depends on how each treats the other, how open they are, and whether they communicate well their wants and desires to each other. Like most relationships, once two people become a couple no one else should try to separate them, but instead try help them get past any hurdles the nay sayers toss in their way.

Been there, buddy, and I won't say it's a bad idea. Out of all the relationships I've had, the one where I dated a guy exactly 20 years my elder was the most stable yet. Just pay attention and be careful, like with any other.