Glee this week sang "Friday" that pop song by Rebecca Black and I think that is totally cool. This poor kid has been subject to so much hate on the Internet for nothing more than recording a song for fun and putting it on her YouTube account.

Glee is all about the oppressed and downtrodden, freaks and geeks and I love that they threw a salute young Miss Black's way.

• Like 1

I thought the song was cute really but I loved the prom queen debacle too... When I saw it I cried because you could imagine the pain of it all...

I have to rate this episode in the top 5 cus honestly it was so good and the gleek drama kicked butt!

Eric :)

Glee is all about the oppressed and downtrodden, freaks and geeks and I love that they threw a salute young Miss Black's way.

I've always liked Rebecca Black and think she's a sweet girl. I've also come to enjoy "Friday" for it's simplicity and I love driving my friends crazy when I make references to it or sing. So yea, I'm looking forward to watching the episode.

But I wanna make a comment about what you said here.

Yes, Glee is about smacking dogma in the face, giving those who are stepped on something to smile about and encouraging integrity. It's those things and the totally clever and funny ways everything wraps up that made me enjoy the show a great deal. But It seems to me like Glee has deterred somewhat from that ever since the show has established itself into a secure place with its audience...Also, I may be the only one who went "what the heck" at Santana's sudden lesbianification but what the heck? Not for the gay factor but I wonder how far down the cosmopolitan road the show is willing to venture...It's like they're really trying to squeeze every conceptually minority subject in.

Edited by Yang Bang

I really got pissed off with the linking of man-skirts and being gay.

I liked Kurt's outfit, honestly, but not all men who wear similar attire are gay or feminine. That was a bit out of line.

I really got pissed off with the linking of man-skirts and being gay.

I liked Kurt's outfit, honestly, but not all men who wear similar attire are gay or feminine. That was a bit out of line.

If you aren't Scots, Irish or Greek it is pretty dang gay.

• Like 2

If you aren't Scots, Irish or Greek it is pretty dang gay.

so I guess people who live on various islands, in countries that have "dress like garments" (even if trousers are worn under), and other "non-western" cultures are "pretty dang gay"... good to know.

so I guess people who live on various islands, in countries that have "dress like garments" (even if trousers are worn under), and other "non-western" cultures are "pretty dang gay"... good to know.

Clearly we live on those said islands or countries, and Glee is based on their cultural standards.............

So I watched a documentary one time about how a small region in Brazil sees having sex with animals as a rite of passage for young men. I guess since it's Posted Image for them, we ought to open up the barn to our high school curriculum here as well, no?

Edited by Yang Bang
  • Like 1

still doesn't make it GAY.

I guess that's what's pissing me off about it. It could very well be part of a person's cultural heritage but because a popular television show said it was gay, it's now gay... so now young gaelic men who might have wanted to wear a kilt to their own prom in honor of their heretige... they COULD be perceived as homosexual just because they are wearing "a skirt".

it's wrong.

still doesn't make it GAY.

I guess that's what's pissing me off about it. It could very well be part of a person's cultural heritage but because a popular television show said it was gay, it's now gay... so now young gaelic men who might have wanted to wear a kilt to their own prom in honor of their heretige... they COULD be perceived as homosexual just because they are wearing "a skirt".

it's wrong.

Well then this goes into the whole debate about using "gay" as a slur in the same way "lame" and "retarded" are.

My position is that you can't stop the evolution of language. "gay" being used outside of its homosexual connotation and as "silly", "stupid", "ridiculous" is well underway and as far as I see it, not even gay people care as much as to avoid using it. As I always say, unless you avidly avoid using descriptions like "lame", "retarded" or anything similar as well, there's really no need to hear you say more.

Totally!

Well then this goes into the whole debate about using "gay" as a slur in the same way "lame" and "retarded" are.

My position is that you can't stop the evolution of language. "gay" being used outside of its homosexual connotation and as "silly", "stupid", "ridiculous" is well underway and as far as I see it, not even gay people care as much as to avoid using it. As I always say, unless you avidly avoid using descriptions like "lame", "retarded" or anything similar as well, there's really no need to hear you say more.

actually I do, thank you.

I can see the use of silly, stupid (in the context of silly and ridiculous) and ridiculous but the use of lame (other than the defined dictionary defintions) and retarded (absolutely forbidden in my home along with a few other words decribing persons with handicapping conditions) the use of gay is limited to happy, festive, and homosexual -- any other uses get a stern lecture concerning hate speech and sometimes further punishments and that goes with ANYONE who comes into my home (punishment can include being asked to leave and not being allowed to come back). It's just not allowed. I don't care about society, I don't care about 'norms'. If people don't allow it then changes cannot occur. So, be the change, not the lemming.

actually I do, thank you.

I can see the use of silly, stupid (in the context of silly and ridiculous) and ridiculous but the use of lame (other than the defined dictionary defintions) and retarded (absolutely forbidden in my home along with a few other words decribing persons with handicapping conditions) the use of gay is limited to happy, festive, and homosexual -- any other uses get a stern lecture concerning hate speech and sometimes further punishments and that goes with ANYONE who comes into my home (punishment can include being asked to leave and not being allowed to come back). It's just not allowed. I don't care about society, I don't care about 'norms'. If people don't allow it then changes cannot occur. So, be the change, not the lemming.

It's cool you're that determined. I very much respect that actually.

Wasn't "gay" originally used to mean happy and festive? It's almost but entirely fallen out of that use now, I wonder why this particular word was chosen to mean homo.

I think the reason why using "lame" and "retarded" is so much more common and acceptable is because those words are never used to describe people of those conditions anymore because they're derogatory and so not PC. But "gay" is PC for homo, so that link is still strong.

The show is slated to return next season.

Yupp, FOX picked up the option for a third season awhile ago, which is unusual for that network.

Anyways, this episode bugged me; there was way too much heavy drama. And Kurt's character is really starting to grate on my nerves. Yeah, he's out, he's proud, I get that. And in San Francisco no one would care, but in Lima, Ohio it seems a tad unrealistic.

Anyways, this episode bugged me; there was way too much heavy drama. And Kurt's character is really starting to grate on my nerves. Yeah, he's out, he's proud, I get that. And in San Francisco no one would care, but in Lima, Ohio it seems a tad unrealistic.

Blaine and Kurt....what a friggin mismatch ;)