Any one celebrating Titanic 100th anniversary?

hh5

Which Italian ship... There was more then one... The cruise ship.... >_< I despise cruise ships, you look at them compared to ocean liners and you can tell they're top heavy... most of them tip over when sinking... not all Liners do that.

Another Famous Italian ship that Tipped over (after being hit a Swedish Ship) was the Andrea Doria (named after a famous Italian) in fact the Andrea Doria was more famous with more loss of life... She's somewhere off of New York I think... The American Coast anyway.

I don't recall the Lusitania tipping over until it was underwater (and it didn't have far to go... if a ship's bow hits the sea bed while the rear is at the surface or near it, they'll flip over no matter what, but they usually already mostly underwater at this point...) The Bismark was a top heavy Battleship...those gun turrets weight a lot.... and when the thing flipped over they pulled out of the ship, by the time it hit the sea bed (mostly intact) the Ship was upright and landed much the same way Titanic's bow did...(and actually when Ballard found her she looked as beautiful, or more so considering, then she did when she was afloat)

Ooh, a duel of naval histories :D

Olympic was scrapped after serving out her life as a liner and military ship in WWI. It still has many pieces lying around include its grand staircase and some of its wooden fitting, which is why I think using some of her parts to rebuild a new titanic or if my name sticks, Gigantic, would be fitting and honor her sister's memory.

Also coincidentally, Britanic was originally intended to be named Gigantic, but the name was changed. I wished we had all three great ancient Greek Gods/Godesses as ships: Olympians, Titans, and Giants. According to Ancient Greek myth, the three were supposed to be the succession of power within the ruling powers of the world.

As for the Hindenburg, it still remains an open mystery between sabotage theory to static electricity to spontaneous combustion due to the fuel leaking. However, personally though, I think Airships should be reconsidered in the 21st century for several reasons:

1. Hydrogen is cheaper than high octane gasoline :P

2. Air travel can be leisurely and not ear splitting painful

3. Simply put, high velocity jets at 20K feet are flying coffins for a good reason, while airships can at least be jumped out of with minimal injury.

4. I am a steam punk advocate, we can do so much more with late 19th century inventions than are actually feasible and fun. It's another one of my odd passions that I developed. :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just learn there is a TV series called Titanic: Blood and Steel

http://titanicbloodandsteel.com/

They made all the episodes for one season.

The question is when they will release for world wide viewing.

lol Kevin Zegers from TransAmerica is one of the principle stars.

Gosh how much make up did they put on him to make him look like a hottie of eight years ago.

perhaps its a relief to not to see Zac Effron star in this series

http://www.nst.com.my/life-times/showbiz/not-just-another-titanic-story-1.85017

• 4 months later...

Its a pity that the series Titanic - Blood and Steel is being shown on Encore channel

so far I heard its pretty good ...

They used the premise of the coal strike \ unionization ... to threaten the capitalist n the building of titanic

olympic was completed and lucky ,,,

I don't know too much of the IRA rebellion(s)

It seems they showed that one capitalist started the premise of one by calling the army to quash the strike

It certainly wasn't in the heart of titanic's capitalist backer

I wonder if this was historically accurate or not

There seems to be issues between being irish(catholic) and the capitalist (non-catholic)

How much of the UK is non-catholic? so was there a break between the catholic church and the kingdom of UK?

Kevin Zegers is suppose to be a metallurgist hired by JP Morgan ...

he seems to be the proponent for the future of large ship building ...

that better iron and steel making needs to be done as well as assembly of the ship

but the owners of titanic wants to keep the cost down ... they lead towards the old ways of ship building

Zegers suppose to be irish catholic and he is hiding that fact from his employer

Edited by hh5

Interesting idea in the story ... zegers character had to investigate the quality of the steel ... on one hand the specifications and samples vs whats delivered by manufacturing ... it appears that manufacturing total misunderstood the making of this new steel ... the old way is to determine steel was at 1500 was to see bright orange ... the new ... its white color ...

Makes you wonder how did quality control work in those days ... did the company really care or was it just the bottom line of time and $$$ ?

Cameron final word and other sources seems to show that the designers covered up the design flaws ... their own way of delivering titanic sooner with acceptable defects ... little did they know that the company, the captain(s), the crew, the passengers, and mother nature would push the ship to its limits while the gov't was slow to update its laws in the coming of newer and bigger ships

mmm they did learn something from the Olympic and employed some of those changes on titanic but pioneering in new technology surely takes more thinking and preparation than anticipated.

gosh we still face those issues today with two ships this year.

• 1 month later...

Bob Ballard, explorer who found the Titanic, now says he may have found evidence of Noah’s flood

I doubt murder on the titanic video game will be a hit compared to Halo 

Edited by hh5