Horror Movies with LGBT positive themes- Are there any?

It's not hard to pick a few movies like Psycho, Sleepaway Camp, or Nightmare on Elm Street with homoerotic or LGBT subtext or titular characters from the community. 

However, none of those films exhibit positive LGBT themes in their exploration of the subject. 

Psycho- Norman Bates identifies as his abusive mother in the form of crossdressing and manipulating his voice to match hers.

Spoiler

Then he goes about killing women, who he is sexually attracted to due to the fact that they aren't good enough for "mother" personality.

Sleepaway Camp- Angela Baker is psychologically and physically abused by her aunt to become an idealized girl, but in fact, spoiler 

Spoiler

Angela is actually Peter, the lone survivor of an accident that killed his entire family. He was mutilated and conditioned by his Aunt to be Angela, his sister.

Nightmare on Elm Street 2 - Jesse is a boy, who has various aspects that suggest he's not heterosexual. However, the villain identifies his nascent sexual awakening and wishes to invasively take him over.

Spoiler

He's only saved by the pure love of a female romantic interest, which apparently "fixes" his sexual confusion. Basically, heterosexual relationships can repress homosexual urges. (Really bad lesson for queer boys to learn)

All of these movies are horror classics for various reasons, but in the modern lens, the themes they represent seems to echo transphobic and homophobic undertones from mental instability being the root of trans identity to heterosexual romance being the cure for nascent adolescent homosexual desires. 

-------------------

I wonder, are there positive LGBT themes in horror? Modern horror films has featured gay characters, but more often they are side characters. Side character from Bride of Chucky and Cursed may be gay and friendly, but they're bit characters with very little plot.

Any suggestions for this genre or observations

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1

Sorry W_L, while I absolutely love a good horror novel, movies are a no-go. I blame my parents who apparently thought it was a good idea to take 7 year old me and one of my brothers who was 12 to see Jaws on a rainy day while on vacation. 

Can you say Technicolor nightmares, waking up screaming and puking all over the hotel bed at 2am? Yeah... fun. Haven't seen a horror movie since unless you count The Fly with Jeff Goldblum. First date with my now-husband. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, kbois said:

Sorry W_L, while I absolutely love a good horror novel, movies are a no-go. I blame my parents who apparently thought it was a good idea to take 7 year old me and one of my brothers who was 12 to see Jaws on a rainy day while on vacation. 

Can you say Technicolor nightmares, waking up screaming and puking all over the hotel bed at 2am? Yeah... fun. Haven't seen a horror movie since unless you count The Fly with Jeff Goldblum. First date with my now-husband. 

Neat, The Fly is technically body horror and science fiction, so it counts :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1