Anyone else watch Spartacus: Blood and Sand

W_L

Yes, I know, it's like a testosterone trip to Disney World :P

The show is amazing and I am just catching up on it now as I have heard a few tell me that I would enjoy it. It has a surrealistic artistic touch that appeals to my artistic side, plus the blood, violence, and fights make me happy for some reason.

I know the ending of the story, I've seen the old movie too, but this re-imagining feels fresh. It's like Showtimes' Rome meets 300. I love the story, it's fun and highly recommended if you like high concept story lines or just great action.

Yes, there's a lot of extravagance, intrigue, and sex: hetero, lesbian, and a few gay references, but well that's Rome at its hedonistic peak after becoming master of the Mediterranean. It's also a lot more dirty than other shows about Rome in terms of background and characters, which is true to a point as Rome was not the bright spot of civilization that Renaissance thinkers try to envision, nor what many nations like to hold as their pillar.

http://www.starz.com/originals/spartacus/about

Who do you guys think will play Crassus in this one?

I think Jeremy Irons would be a shoe in if the Borgia's don't get a third season (love that show too, if only they could show more Machiavelli :D ).

Absolutely love the series, but gutted at the loss of Andy Whitfild. Only the good die young.

I wouldnt put it up there with Rome but it is at least based on some of the real world of gladiators from the period, and you have to love a series which creates a new benchmark in gratuitous nudity and swearing.

Plus eye candy aside Lucy Lawless and John Hannah can chew the scenery pretty well when they want.

Irons could be an interesting Crassus, but Im not convinced.

• 1 month later...

Oh Man, has anyone been following the second season, Vengeance?

It's getting better and better. I don't know if life is imitating art or art is imitating life, but "Libertus" was simply spellbinding and it made me think of current issues sans blood.

The first gay man on man kiss in the show (I didn't count the first season one, since they weren't main characters I actually was captivated by), and I hope maybe some guy-on-guy action soon Posted Image