Open Club  ·  285 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

I disagree.  By presenting himself with credentials as Governor, he subjects himself to military law, in trying to usurp a military position (as governor technically is).  He could be subject to court martial on a ship, hung from the yardarm and the trial notes sealed by the admiralty (as military trials could be suppressed).

But his credentials were not endorsed by the king. I doubt they would be recognized by a military court. If that were the case, then ANYONE could claim to be the govenor.

But his credentials were not endorsed by the king. I doubt they would be recognized by a military court. If that were the case, then ANYONE could claim to be the govenor.

Thats exactly my point.  He had invalid credentials, and tried to usurp a military position.  There are a number of offences that would place a civillian under the jurisdiction of the military.  This and "arson in a Navy dockyard" are two offences I can think of that would do it.

I am somewhat confused. This is the way I see it:
1. Maidstone arrived without out complete orders. No seal of the king.
2. Berte chose to agnore Maistone until the kings approval arrived.
3. Berte's dealings as governor were questionable.
4. The government does not want these facts coming out.
5. Maidstone stole the papers which prove the questionable behavour, and is bringing them back to London.
6. George must stop those papers from reaching London.
7. The government in London can not punish either Berte or Maidstone because if they do it will bring down the government.

8, If George does retrieve the papers George with be the hero again and improve his position with the  king and the government.

9. Main loser would be Maidstone, who will not be trusted from now on.

Edited by rjo

I am somewhat confused. This is the way I see it:

1. Maidstone arrived without out complete orders. No seal of the king.

2. Berte chose to agnore Maistone until the kings approval arrived.

3. Berte's dealings as governor were questionable.

4. The government does not want these facts coming out.

5. Maidstone stole the papers which prove the questionable behavour, and is bringing them back to London.

6. George must stop those papers from reaching London.

7. The government in London can not punish either Berte or Maidstone because if they do it will bring down the government.

8, If George does retrieve the papers George with be the hero again and improve his position with the  king and the government.

9. Main loser would be Maidstone, who will not be trusted from now on.

1 - Yes he did, and he tried to exercise gubernatorial authority without that seal for which he could be tried in a military court and everything kept under wraps

2 - Bertie followed the law, yes, which is an honourable undertaking

3 - Bertie's dealings as governor were authorised by the company and by the Prime Minister (the letters from Pitt)

4 - The Government does not want its complicity to come out, and therefore executing maidstone for (1) would be an excellent way to avoid this.  Bertie can be relied on to keep quiet for his family's honour and by being allowed to keep his share of the rewards.

5 - Yes, he stole papers.  He stole military intelligence.  Classify him as a spy and again, court martial him, and the public will never know the details

6 - Yes he must - but his honour is not dependent on it.  In doing so, he would gain much in the King's eyes

7 - I've addressed these above.  Bertie needs no punishment because his actions were sanctioned, and the documents prove so.  Maidstone CAN be punished without the facts coming out.

8 - Yes

9 - Yes, but of course in my view, Maidstone will lose his life.

• Like 2

I think we should put Maidstone in front of a firing squad. And just to make sure he doesn't run, have Calvert hold him steady in place.

;)

Ricky, you are such a Calvert fan!!!!!!!! :boy:

Ricky, you are such a Calvert fan!!!!!!!! :boy:

0.o I see NO reason to be insulting. Well . . . I AM a bit of a calvert fan when it comes to ways to get rid of him. He's more moody than a pmsing ferret and he's more needing the government at tax time. What he needs is a control freak like Jardines. Someone to controll his life for him and introduce him to a ball-gag Then he will be happy. Or at least I will be He's just such a mismatch for Granger.

Granger's perfect match, at least in my opinion is Freddie Cavendish. Secure in himself, descrete, confident and shrewd politically. He's a class act where Calvert is not just annoyingly common and dysfunctional but he drags Granger down with him. He just needs to go away. He is the one character that adds nothing to Granger's life but aggravation. I think he needs to run into Maidstone and have Maidstone be responsible for his demise so Granger can get angry instead of breaking down. Roby is another one whom I simply detest.

0.o I see NO reason to be insulting. Well . . . I AM a bit of a calvert fan when it comes to ways to get rid of him. He's more moody than a pmsing ferret and he's more needing the government at tax time. What he needs is a control freak like Jardines. Someone to controll his life for him and introduce him to a ball-gag Then he will be happy. Or at least I will be He's just such a mismatch for Granger.

Granger's perfect match, at least in my opinion is Freddie Cavendish. Secure in himself, descrete, confident and shrewd politically. He's a class act where Calvert is not just annoyingly common and dysfunctional but he drags Granger down with him. He just needs to go away. He is the one character that adds nothing to Granger's life but aggravation. I think he needs to run into Maidstone and have Maidstone be responsible for his demise so Granger can get angry instead of breaking down. Roby is another one whom I simply detest.

I don't disagree with anything you just said, except I don't want him dead.  I think he needs to captain his ship and only see Granger once in a blue moon.  

I think the men that George connects with mentally and sexually like Cavendish are always going to be more connected than just the hot sex he needs from those like Calvert.  After all George is still young and still has the sex drive of the young stud he is.

I don't disagree with anything you just said, except I don't want him dead.  I think he needs to captain his ship and only see Granger once in a blue moon.  

I think the men that George connects with mentally and sexually like Cavendish are always going to be more connected than just the hot sex he needs from those like Calvert.  After all George is still young and still has the sex drive of the young stud he is.

I wouldn't miss either of them from the story. I don't think they contribute to it at all. I consider them both nothing more than bar flies.

I'm listening to Belvedera now Brummel just climbed into the tub. ;)

I think that Calvert, while much maligned by some of you, brings out Granger's playful side.  He's the modern-day equivalent of the guy who makes you feel young. 

BAH! What would YOU know. You're just the writer, creator, fleshmaster and author.

• Like 1

My favorite passage in all of the HMS series so far:

“Your entire escapade has made you even more famous.  It reads like one of those novels middle class women are so fond of.  First you saved the Duke of Cardona, and then you brought an entire city-state to its knees, absconding with a priceless gem to add to the crown jewels.  That wasn’t enough though.  You saved the Duke of Lerma, rescued a thousand Christian hostages from the Muslim devils, and still found time to traipse off to the Alhambra to receive the highest form of chivalry that can be conferred by Spain onto a non-catholic foreigner.”  Cavendish eyed him with a combination of love and hero worship.  “Yes, that happens all the time,” he said sarcastically. 

“I guess it was worth it all just to be here with you,” Granger said romantically.  He was horny again. 

“Of course, I forgot to mention the news that will hit tomorrow or the next day, the news of how you managed to dish up a French frigate in 20 minutes without giving her a chance to fire a shot in return, then still extricated yourself from an enemy fleet of over 50 warships, including the largest ship in the world.” 

“Yes, it is all in a day’s work,” Granger joked.

Priceless!

• Like 1

From Wiki:

A cable length or cable's length is a nautical unit of measure equal to one tenth of a nautical mile or 100 fathoms, or sometimes 120 fathoms. The unit is named after the length of a ship's anchor cable in the age of sail. The definition varies:

I think we should put Maidstone in front of a firing squad. And just to make sure he doesn't run, have Calvert hold him steady in place.

;)

I would feel just terrible when the bullet actually went through Maidstone and killed Calvert as well...  I am sure Granger could arrange a lovely military honor for him....

I would feel just terrible when the bullet actually went through Maidstone and killed Calvert as well...  I am sure Granger could arrange a lovely military honor for him....

Listen to you, planning a Kennedy-esque bullet path.  Probably not possible in the 1790s.

Thanks so much for the info on the cable's length. It puts things in perspective a bit better. And Mark, EVERYBODY loves to speculate on the Kennedyesq assassination. And here you say it like it would be a BAD thing. ;)

I looked up the definition of Slump???? Not that I am complaining, far from it. I am wondering if you didn't pick while over there some new potent strain of Ginseng, if so give me the address and I'll gladly keep you well stocked up. Thanks Mark.

I looked up the definition of Slump???? Not that I am complaining, far from it. I am wondering if you didn't pick while over there some new potent strain of Ginseng, if so give me the address and I'll gladly keep you well stocked up. Thanks Mark.

LOL, Screw that, if it's THAT good, send some MY way.

Thanks Mark for a really meaty chapter. Funny that of all the useful people available, he should take Winkler! And that he [Winkler] should accept without hesitation. As much as he like horses, the camel portion of the trip should prove to be amusing at the very least. Winkler is still a young lad.

I don't know if Granger has a little American in him but something tells me he is about to have the choice. But then again, Chartley is going with him. So perhaps Winkler will look to the strong American to provide some creature comforts for him on the trek.

But Maidstone's tentacles are far reaching. One can only believe that the trip will have more challenges than just the logistical ones. But even if it goes smoothly, once he gets to where ever Maidstone IS, he'll have to devise a way of getting the letters back from him and I don't think he will willingly give them up. And if they stop in Gibralter he could simply post them in a dispatch to Fox. He would be stupid to assume he could travel the full distance and trust only his luck to beat them back. He has to know that he will be pursued. And he must be smart enough to know the means by which they would have to travel. And that is why I think they will fall subject to a fallen tree in the road so to speak, just like Chartley did to Iggy previously. But perhaps with a tree that can shoot.

And will there be a subplot? Will Jackson meet his maker wandering around in Maidstone's back yard while he's not home? I think that Granger's battles are not all going to be on the sea. Like Sommers noted, he gave in far too easily. Is it possible that Vulture might have some incriminating information that will save the day? You have created a political cocktail Mark that is bound to create whiplash from the heads turning left to right and back again.

I'm headed home to dig out my crystal ball to see if I can get a glimpse of what Lord Arbours twisted and just slightly dark mind has come up with but I fear that it won't be clear until the fog of battle is over and we see who lays naked and hogtied on the deck with a ballgag in his mouth.

To put in context the journey that Granger has ahead of him, we must consider that India as a country really did not exist.  There were areas of direct company rule, but also many princely states that were subject to British Authority, but in many respects completely independent states.  The journey would be long and dangerous - India did not hav railways at this time, and roads were dirt tracks.  Horses were available but struggled in the climate.  Elephants were used too as transport, but this could actually be fairly slow.

After they leave India, they can either go through the Holy Land (Palestine), or Egypt.  Egypt was part of the Ottoman empire at the time, but I suspect that Mr Arbour is actually doing what I had previously commented in this forum would not be possible.... Granger is almost certainly going to be in Egypt for the Napoleonic Invasion and will more than likely rejoin Nelson in August 1798 for the Battle of the Nile.  By my reckoning Bacchante should reach England (assuming good winds) by October, meaning Granger will be on hand to capture his own ship using some of Nelson's victorious fleet.

Edited by Westie
  • Like 2

To put in context the journey that Granger has ahead of him, we must consider that India as a country really did not exist.  There were areas of direct company rule, but also many princely states that were subject to British Authority, but in many respects completely independent states.  The journey would be long and dangerous - India did not hav railways at this time, and roads were dirt tracks.  Horses were available but struggled in the climate.  Elephants were used too as transport, but this could actually be fairly slow.

After they leave India, they can either go through the Holy Land (Palestine), or Egypt.  Egypt was part of the Ottoman empire at the time, but I suspect that Mr Arbour is actually doing what I had previously commented in this forum would not be possible.... Granger is almost certainly going to be in Egypt for the Napoleonic Invasion and will more than likely rejoin Nelson in August 1798 for the Battle of the Nile.  By my reckoning Bacchante should reach England (assuming good winds) by October, meaning Granger will be on hand to capture his own ship using some of Nelson's victorious fleet.

And you thought I would miss the Nile.  :P

You mean you thought he'd miss it by a nile?

I don't think Granger life would be worth a farthing if the turks or the arabs got hold of him. They were allies of our rubyless sultan if I'm not mistaken.

Not likely to be a fun trip. And considering they were talking going over the mountains, I think elephants are out. At least for that portion. But we all know how much Winkler loves to ride.

• Like 1

Well, I have to think that Westie is right and that Granger will find a way to play a part in the Battle of the Nile.  This would give him a way to claim some additional glory and get a hold of a ship that would be able to intercept Bacchante and rip those letters from Maidstone's hands himself.  I personally hope that Chartley and Granger use this trip to realize that they are meant for each other and are truly the other's soulmate.  Calvert will survive, Mark spoiled that in a review response, but his latest assignment will undoubtedly enable him to get another command and he did so well in the Far East that might be a good posting for him again...

I actually sort of see Granger missing Maidstone and Caroline waiting on the dock for him with a duelling pistols.  I am not sure that Maidstone is a match for Caroline when she is trying to protect George and the family...

How can Chartley be his soul mate when everyone knows his soul mate is Cavendish? Isn't that obvious? He's the only one that fits together perfectly without even sex. Their kissing and cuddling is enough. There is no after sex reflection, (I can't even pretend to spell that word I'm looking for there. Damn dyslexics.) And their lips fit together like no other. He has nothing more than all the rest with Chartley. He loves them when their dicks are in his hand or ass or mouths but forgets them when the next one comes along. Cavendish is the only exception to that.

Chartley is a big hairy father figure that Granger feels secure in the arms of. And that's about it. Travers was a younger version. Calvert is grating even to george but he supplies a need to be needed. Lennox , well he just gives good head. Llewelyn strokes his desire to be in control and to dominate, and arthur id his tie to his youth. His introduction to the first carnal urges.

No, sorry, the way its written, Cavendish is the only one he respects, loves and cherishes besides the obligatory union of his wife.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..