Ok come on people. Just for fun, which team are you backing for the Euro's 2012, and why have you chosen to support that team?

I'm going to go with Russia. I really think they have got a good chance this year, they are looking good.

• Site Administrator

Not to sidetrack :P.....

General Motors announced the other day that they are dropping all of their advertising in the NFL and the Superbowl. It turns out they were reaching 400 million viewers with their advertising strategy.

They have now teamed up with Manchester United who's viewing audience is 675 million...just the one team.

In addition they will be a major sponsor of Football (Soccer) to reach the 1.6 billion potential customers.

When I heard those number i was WOW!!

England may not even reach the quarter finals - it looks like we've got a tough group.

France, Sweden and co-hosts Ukraine.

That is exactly what I was thinking Andy. Took one look at France and didn't fancy their chances, especially with a change of manager so close to the competition like! :(

Too many top players missing too! grrrrrrrr

I've just looked at the betting odds to win the group stage and something looks very off to me:

France 7/4, England 15/8, Ukraine 9/2, Sweden 13/2

Is something going on with Sweden I've missed, I thought they were a far better team than being the group outsiders (and outsiders by this much)?

They were the top runners up in the quals, they won 8 out of 10 games (only losing to the table winners, the Dutch, and to a last minute goal by Hungary). Although England won their table, they only won 5 out 8 games and in a far easier group than the Swedes. IMHO England's group quals should have been a walk in the park given the other teams involved.

I think the bookies may have this one wrong.

I think Holland could do it this time.

Would love to see Portugal do well, but it isnt going to happen.

I hope England progress deep into the tournament to increase the sense fo schadenfreude when they lose to a dodgy penalty in the last minute of stoppage time.

Not to sidetrack Posted Image.....

General Motors announced the other day that they are dropping all of their advertising in the NFL and the Superbowl. It turns out they were reaching 400 million viewers with their advertising strategy.

They have now teamed up with Manchester United who's viewing audience is 675 million...just the one team.

In addition they will be a major sponsor of Football (Soccer) to reach the 1.6 billion potential customers.

It is a sidetrack, but an interesting one. I wonder if there will be a backlash in the US?

I remember reading something like this last time the world cup final was on WildOne. Something about the number of people they expected to be watching the actual final game and how much advertising would cost for a thirty second or one min slot during the game.

I don't remember the exact figures but it was pure madness. 1.6 billion potential customers.....

You can kind of understand why they would do it. :P

I think Holland could do it this time.

Actually you could have a point there Roan. Both Holland and I'd have to say Germany are looking good this time around.

Still would like to see Russia do well though.

I think everyone is expecting Spain to do well, but in regional and European domestic games they haven't been doing that great recently so I'm not so sure. :P

By the way, Spain will win. Probably beat Germany in the finals.

The French won't advance and that will threaten the new government.

Greece won't score and there will be a general strike called.

Ireland will show up with hurling sticks and be very confused.

England will put a team on the field either too young or too old and wonder why they didn't advance.

Scotland will show up only to be told they hadn't qualified actually.

Croatia will have smart uniforms. That's it. They'll have smart uniforms. Moving on.

Ukraine will advance on the strength of home field, only to be brought crashing back to earth in the elimination round.

Sweden should advance because they are all gorgeous blonde men who look like Viking gods.

Denmark will prove once and for all, you can play football in wooden shoes.

The Czech Republic will provide lots of drama and not much else.

Poland will find out that beating a country with a population of 7,000 4-0 does NOT mean you are ready for real teams, but with the weakest group, will advance anyway.

Russia will attempt to return to relevance in sports.

Portugal has the great misfortune of being in a group with the #2 & #4 teams in the world in their pool. They will pray for rain to slow down the Dutch.

The Netherlands has the great misfortune of being in a group with the #2 & #5 teams in the world in their pool, but if the weather holds they should advance, but the battle to advance will take away their legs and they fall in elimination.

By the way, Spain will win. Probably beat Germany in the finals.

The French won't advance and that will threaten the new government.

Greece won't score and there will be a general strike called.

Ireland will show up with hurling sticks and be very confused.

England will put a team on the field either too young or too old and wonder why they didn't advance.

Scotland will show up only to be told they hadn't qualified actually.

Croatia will have smart uniforms. That's it. They'll have smart uniforms. Moving on.

Ukraine will advance on the strength of home field, only to be brought crashing back to earth in the elimination round.

Sweden should advance because they are all gorgeous blonde men who look like Viking gods.

Denmark will prove once and for all, you can play football in wooden shoes.

The Czech Republic will provide lots of drama and not much else.

Poland will find out that beating a country with a population of 7,000 4-0 does NOT mean you are ready for real teams, but with the weakest group, will advance anyway.

Russia will attempt to return to relevance in sports.

Portugal has the great misfortune of being in a group with the #2 & #4 teams in the world in their pool. They will pray for rain to slow down the Dutch.

The Netherlands has the great misfortune of being in a group with the #2 & #5 teams in the world in their pool, but if the weather holds they should advance, but the battle to advance will take away their legs and they fall in elimination.

That is legend!!!!!!!!!! Posted Image

Is Portugal that good or isn't Germany as dominant as in the past. I thought Germany looked lethargic.

The Dutch didn't seem to have any luck in their match either, with a shot hitting the upright and others barely missing.

Is Portugal that good or isn't Germany as dominant as in the past. I thought Germany looked lethargic.

The Dutch didn't seem to have any luck in their match either, with a shot hitting the upright and others barely missing.

Germany is ranked #2 in the world, Portugal is #5 so that is a big win for Germany and now puts Portugal and the #4 Dutch in a must win game if either hopes to advance.

Edited by PrivateTim

England and France tomorrow. It should prove to be an interesting matchup.

Living in Scotland, I know that there will be a very Gallic feel to the place tonight as the Scottish support ABE ( Anyone But England )

They haven't figured out that football really is a silly game :lmao: