Stain removal advice!

Arpeggio

I have a set in stain in my dress shirt that I just noticed, and I tried the usual tricks, including WD40 (works great with grease stains so I thought, why not). I can't bleach it cause it's off-white/kinda khakis, and I don't know anything else about laundry to try. O_O

It's a pretty expensive shirt, so Heeeeeeeeeelp!

Edited by Arpeggio

Depending on what kind of stain it is, try rubbing a bit of dish detergent in it and let it sit for a few minutes, before washing it again. If you have stain remover like Shout(it's what I use) and sometimes it takes a couple washings...that could work.

It would help to know what you think the stain is from. Blood comes out if you soak in cold water. Red wine with club soda. Grease (automotive) comes out with brake cleaner (not fluid). Ink comes out with non-aerosol hair spray (works best on leather or vinyl, but helps on cloth). Use a laundry-type stain remover and then wash. You might have to do the same steps a few times. You could also try a damp cloth that you've dabbed in a bit of salt. Use the salt as an abrasive and rub gently.

Edited by sat8997

Buy the same shirt new, switch the tag and return the stained one.

Voila, stain removed.

Is that why you're black listed? ;) I used to work in retail, and I've seen everything.... One had perfume smell, one had lipstick on. A coworker showed me a thong with brown stain.... How do you remove that one?

I tried everything, it lightened a little but its still there. T_T

Oh no.... I say you spray paint the shirt a little bit. That way nobody will care about that stain anymore. Either that or you made yourself a tie dye shirt if nothing else works....

Guest sandyr317

I hope Oxyclean works for you since it was my suggestion. It's about the safest approach although the idea of spotting with the liquid laundrey detergent might work too. Chlorine bleach like Chlorox is great for whites but so many of today's fabrics will break down if you use it.

I was in the process of a 24 hour soak to get rid of an old stain in a colored shirt when I wrote that suggestion. I'm happy to report that particular stain is gone. BTW, I think today's fabrics are more subject to surprise stains than fabrics used to be.

I'll be interested to know how it went. By the way, if the first time wasn't completely successful, just try it again.

Guest sandyr317

Congrats!!!! Now you can wear it to the party and fix it again afterwards.

Edited by sandyr317

Glad to hear the stain is gone.

Just found this...Hydrogen peroxide can be used as a pre-treater for stains — just soak the stain for a little while in 3% hydrogen peroxide before tossing into the laundry. You can also add a cup of peroxide to a regular load of whites to boost brightness. It’s a green alternative to bleach, and works just as well.