Return of serial drama to the networks

JamesSavik

Very quietly this fall serial drama, which had been absent for some time, reappeared on the network schedules with a bang.

Posted Image

NBC's Revolution, despite numerous flaws, started strong and continues to entertain.

Posted Image

ACB's Last Resort follows the over-used evil goverenment conspiracy plot device but it remains watchable.

What makes both of these shows interesting is that the writing is strong and tight. The dialog is well done and they follow the rules of good drama.

Is this a renaissance of network produced drama? It certainly bucks the trend. With more and more reality crap on the networks, good stuff really stands out.

It's my hope that the networks learn that they can win with well written drama and don't need to become clones of MoronTV- all bullshit all the time.

Edited by jamessavik

I'll have to be "Classic Cynical James" on this and say give it a few months before they fuck those shows over.

ABC fucked over Jericho for far less reasons. NBC threw the kitchen sink at "Heroes" with reset after reset button and drowned "Surface" for nothing.

I'll wait before singing their praises.

I've not been able to see any of these programs as I don't have tv, but I think giving jobs to actual writers is a good thing. Since every network and every cable channel has its own "reality" or "no writers needed" programming, having shows with writing staffs is all to the good.

We watch both of the shows you mentioned, James. They are good dramas now, but I fear WL is right. The first time the ratings slip a little, the networks will introduce "personalities" to the cast and ruin the show with a little comic relief.

We watch both of the shows you mentioned, James. They are good dramas now, but I fear WL is right. The first time the ratings slip a little, the networks will introduce "personalities" to the cast and ruin the show with a little comic relief.

Oh God, not him again.

Posted Image

Never saw Once Upon a Time. I would skip it for the title alone.

LOST was a train wreak. Even the authors didn't know where they were going. For several years after LOST, we had a number of LOST-alikes but none of them could recapture the magic.

Police, procedurals are a formula like Law & Order, Special Victims or CSI. There's nothing really creative about them other than deriving the formula.

• 3 weeks later...