I don't know if some people here like period dramas. But I am fond of period dramas, especially if it's well done. Much like the BBC's 1995 adaption of Pride & Prejudice starring Collin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. The 1995 adaptation is probably the best version of Pride & Prejudice brought on screen and so far the best chemistry between the two leads.

And I'd have to say, this series brought the bag. When I watched a DVD from my exes condo named "North & South", I only got to view the first episode and I was immediately introduced to the hotness of Richard Armitage.

I was like, "DAYYUMN! This motherfathering piece of stud-muffin is gorgeous in period clothing." not to mention his brilliant acting as Mr. John Thornton. And Daniella Denby-Ashe was amazing as well as the young Margaret Hale...she looks like a baby doll and her eyes is so pretty.

I ordered a DVD of it on amazon around 4 years ago and I was so frigging excited to watch it... until my DVD player couldn't play the disc cause it was set in another region or something. So basically I still didn't get to watch the whole series. I eventually lost my DVD.

Up until a few days ago I found the whole series up in youtube. I watched it twice now and kept having dreams of Mr. Thornton.

I don't know why I watched it twice... It's probably the full satisfaction of the ending scene.

Spoiler Alert: Wherein Mr. Thornton lovingly gazes at Margaret at the train station as they wait for the kiss.

I just couldn't get my head around that scene. For a man to look at someone with ardent devotion and affection like the world's about to end... it makes me shit my pants that men are full of crap of nowadays.

I just love period dramas. I adore the long courting, the small gestures that are so effectual yet short but full of significance to the development of the character relationships. And the whole, "My world has collapsed for my love has not sent me a letter. I shall jump on top of Big Ben as a sign of my undying devotion." kind of thing that most suicidal men and women at that time go through.

I sure as hell would like someone to die for me. For I sure wouldn't want to die for them unless they look like Mr. Thornton and admiringly gazes at me everytime he says, " I loov yuh."

So much for chivalry.

Well, I want to know if people actually go for this dramas or this drama.

(My future hubby after I time travelled in time)

hopeful-thornton.jpg

(My future wife - after Mr. Thornton leaves me for Mr. Darcy)

6a0110180b69f1860f01101677ba3c860d-500pi

(Mr. Thornton: Kiss me...)

(Margaret: I wanna have your babies.)

(Mr. Thornton: On our honeymoon. Coz I'm a gentleman. Kiss me.)

(Margaret: Hang on. Let me get my tic-tac.)

north-south-449.jpg

north-south-456.jpg

And this is my guideline to a healthy life:

kiss-richard-armitage.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16eQrydz4L8 - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBVlaofNc0w - Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX63AN5ViA4 - Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa1BsOayheg - Part 4

gosh why is it called N&S?

in 1985, the USA version is about the American Civil War (1860s)

yet the BBC version is England 1855, industrialization n Dickens

this kinda reminds me of the England history background of 2012 Olympics

So, um, just a wild stab - you're moderately keen on Mr Armitage then? :P

Yes. He's my future husband. Any qualms about that? Well... I have lots of future husband in the entertainment industry.

Michael Fassbender, Jim Sturgess, Henry Cavill, Jamie Dornan, Colin Firth, Jeremy Irvine, Pre-nanny whoring days Jude Law, Will Ferrel, Seth Macfarlane... and lots more.

I know. I'm a whore. So screw me! I mean... Sue me.

gosh why is it called N&S?

in 1985, the USA version is about the American Civil War (1860s)

yet the BBC version is England 1855, industrialization n Dickens

this kinda reminds me of the England history background of 2012 Olympics

Haha. I googled it now and I didn't know there's a tv series as well in america named North & South. The American one was a tv adaptation of John Lake's trilogy. And this series was an adaptation from the Elizabeth Gaskel's novel of the same name.

Elizabeth changed the name to north and south due to the urging of her close friend, Charles Dickens - I suppose.

I wouldn't say its all about the industrial era, but the story is more focused on the societal relationships and aspects of the worker-master thing. Because in honesty, I could see this novel being written as a social backdraft of the societal context derivative of Elizabeth Gaskel's time without a love story. It's just that the story has an underlying love story that in time slowly envelops the story.

It's not like Pride & Prejudice wherein you know that it's a love story. BBC just did an amazing job putting such an ensemble cast that has that amazing chemistry. And the cinematography really made me feel like it was dated.

I don't gush about tv series especially period dramas, but this one really takes the cake. And I would like Mr. Richard to pop out of that cake anytime soon.

I thought you were talking about the American version of the North & South about the Civil War. :P I didn't even know their was a British show called North & South. 

Oh that is sad. I guess I am to here to enlighten you guys about this wonderful drama and the hotness that is *ehem* armitage.

oh its pre-Dwarven envy :-)

I was looking for American version around the time UK version just came out

I was browsing through the movie and wondered where's Riker n Swazey??

Never noticed that this was a UK version since I didn't have time to watch the movie

Years later I found the American Version and watched some of it ... 

It never occur to me that I watched the BBC version until you shared eps 1 

I guess education is going further this year lol

Oh that is sad. I guess I am to here to enlighten you guys about this wonderful drama and the hotness that is *ehem* armitage.