Choosing a/Dealing with College

Finn

TL;DR Version: skip to the bolded.

Soooo... I graduated from high school last year. I've spent the last... ten months not doing much of anything serious; the first few were spent vaguely thinking of what I want to do (while evidently roaming and toying around the net). Late in the year though, I found myself dragged into helping someone for monetary reward, an arrangement which ceased about... two-three weeks ago.

Most of that money vanished god-knows-where, but some of it transfered into Uncle Sam's hands. In exchange, Uncle Sam threw a few documents at me, including a lisence to work and an SSN. (I immigrated to the United States at the age of 4.)

With said tidbits, I've finally found it appropriate to seek higher education. I've filled out the FAFSA, as I've been told that most colleges would require it so they know if I'm eligible for aid or not. I can't drive (I've never really had an interest in learning, mostly because I couldn't do it legally and doing things illegally just... bothers me), though my dad's told me he'll be working with me on that as soon as his car's repaired. I don't have a job at the moment, though I'll probably be seeking one over the next week or so.

But, the biggest issue here is what to do about the college. I'm extremely unsure about anything there--in school, I ignored most of the counselors's pushing as I thought I wouldn't really be able to pay for it (I wasn't a citizen or a resident and, at the time, wouldn't have been able to really work to pay for it--I'm not sure if these are legitimate excuses or not, and even if they are... they might still be excuses).

So, anyway, I've spent the last couple days somewhat searching for a college, but I'm not sure how I should choose one, or where I'm supposed to turn to for help. Neither am I really sure what I wanna be, and don't really to make any... "wrong" decisions.

For the couple year and some, I've been able to say "I wanna be an achitect"--and actually mean it. I took a couple classes (AUTOCAD and a high-school/university course in architecture... thing said it would count for college credits, but... well, it didn't feel like a super-advanced class) in my high school aimed at that field. But, I'm kind of fickle, and I don't know if it's what I really want. I also don't know if I am/would be any good at it, which I think is something that would be a little important in the field.

I've looked at a few couple private universites that have architectural programs, but I don't know if it's a... "good" one, for lack of a better word. I'm also not sure if that matters. I've also looked at at for-profit college in San Diego but, again, I'm not sure about anything. I also haven't really considered the public universities, and I'm unsure if I should. A friend has also given me advice that I should start in a community college, as it would be cheaper in the long-run, but I kind of don't like the local ones (lololol), and there's also the whole "everyone and their mother applies to these" part.

So, yeah... any words you guys can spare to nudge my extreme indecisiveness?

Any advice would be welcomed, but I'm mostly interested in answers for:

- What should I look at when choosing a college?

- Should I go community for the first two years, or jump straight into a university if possible?

- Should I consider the public California universities?

- Any suggestions as to what schools I should look into?

- How damned, fickle, indecisive and/or dumb am I?

- Am I overthinking things?

Relevant bits:

- My unweighted high school GDP is exactly 3.0

- I've a reasonable interest in Architecture, light high-school grade education in the subject (UC-Architectural Design, my transcript reads); no knowledge as to my skill in it

- The schools I've looked up are: Lawrence Technological University (private, non-profit), Woodbury University (private-non-profit); New School of Architecture & Design (private, for-profit); a couple local community colleges

- I'd honestly prefer a small school, with small classes; I'm not really a people person

- Pretty sure I'm poor; my dad makes less than 20k a year, and he's the main source of the household income... I think... /that/ situation's an utter mess

- I think I want to go away-from-home, as said home is kind of shaky, and... just.... I donno, family and all...

I apologize for the massive wall of text... I don't know how it resulted. I guess I'm just, really really conflicted about it. :P

Oh God, it's really long!! *hopes someone bothers to read it*

• Like 1

*sighs*

I know that feeling. Sounds familiar...

Okay. So I don't live in the US. Forget that all my stories are based there, but really, I don't know squat about picking and deciding which college/university to go. We use a whole different system over here,

That being said, I know a few things about you and what you should do.

Your (our) type of person, most times, doesn't know what he wants until he finds it. You could never decide on a college without a strong external stimulus to choose a particular one.

The first step would be out lining what you want. Then out line what you have. And then decide based on what the things you got can get you. You like Arch, fine! Stick with it. Find people who are studying it and ask them. About their school, and the course.

At some point in my life I wanted to be a surgeon. But after talking with a few medical students and a surgeon, I realised that although surgery was pretty cool, I can't do it. But then I talked with some other students studying what I am reading now, and I thought, now, that's for me!

It helps to know where you are going, but it's even more important to know the right road to that place. I'm glad you've posted this here, lots of learned people will give you valuable advice. Lots and lots. But in the end, what will really matter is what you mind decides up.

I know these wasn't very helpful, but...:)

• Like 1

Your (our) type of person, most times, doesn't know what he wants until he finds it. You could never decide on a college without a strong external stimulus to choose a particular one.

... :lol: This is so true. It's practically impossible for me to decide on something that I know very little in--and I know jack about colleges. Nice to hear I'm not the only person who's terrible with decisions.

Thanks for the tidbits; almost everything helps, especially when you've no idea where to really start. The idea to actually talk to people in the field has vaguely occured to me, but... hm... how did you go about approaching them? I don't think any of my current contacts are in the field of civilian architecture (I've a mate in the naval architecture field, but he's kind of... difficult to approach, heh). Did you just, like, hunt them down across the world? Lmao. xD

Hmm... I don't really know what I want. I'm a bit too apathetic for that. I just know what I'm remotely interesting in.... A lot of things. Architecture does seem like the biggest contender for "career choice" though. I guess I also want a shiny home, a mate, and a couple offsprings; mayhaps to travel, not be stuck in one place for forever--not in youth, anyway. I was kind of serious when I posted in another thread that I wanna go on a cruiseliner.

Pretty out-there and generic, I guess. I'm not really too picky about things (even though I am), I could probably reasonable do anything, and not mind too strongly.... Oh God, I'm terrible.

What I have? 150 dollars to my name, a card thats says "go work!", and a number that'll let me do it (yeah, I think I'm really happy about this). Skill-wise, I think I'm good at learning... given a bit of time, I could pick up almost anything. I don't think I'm too terrible at writing, and I'm also comfortable with numbers. Give me a capable computer, a program, and a couple hours, and I could probably use said program to start spitting out amateur work. So, I'm moldable, I guess? Don't know what truly calls me.

And I'm honestly not that terrible at dealing with people... I just don't quite like it, aha. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist, liking to get things I do throw myself as close to "super-awesome" as I can get it... until it stops calling me and just turns into a chore... Which happens quite often, really; I haven't written anything in days.

As to how this stuff can help me get somewhere...? *looks at you expectantly* :lol:

I have no idea.

Because life looks really, really hard to kick off.

But, since I first posted this, I think I've come to a conclusion along the lines of "screw thinking, I'll just throw words at those colleges." 'Fraid this wrecklessness will probably disappear by tomorrow morning though. I'm not sure what you meant though, with "the things you got can get you." ...

*facepalms* Sorry for the walls.

Edited by Finn

Finn,

Most of the UC schools are very well respected nationally and internationally.  If you graduate from a UC school, you will not be turned down for a job because of your degree.  When it comes to architecture, your student design projects will be what makes or breaks you.  I know someone that went into architecture at UC Berkeley and they say to be successful you have to spend A LOT of time working on your projects.  You essentially need to go above and beyond each time.  Expect to spend countless hours outside of class on your projects.

Because of your 3.0 GPA, you may need to first go to a community college and show that you can do well there before applying to an architecture program.  Unfortunately, architecture programs are extremely competitive and while a 3.0 might be ok for a lot of programs it probably isn't for architecture.  Of course, YMMV.

I'm glad you got your FAFSA done.  Given what your father makes, you should qualify for pell grants and federally subsidized stafford loans.

Best of luck :)

Hi Finn

Have you taken a look at this? http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/do-you-want-to-be-an-architect/   There might be some information you can use there.

Also, depending on where you live, might there be an association of licensed architects or something equivalent? Generally speaking, professional associations and their members are willing to share a lot of information & experiences with people that might be interested, either one-on-one or in breakfasts, etc. I don't see why architects would be any different!

Other than that, I have no real advice. I went into college as pre-med, then switched to psychology, then philosophy and ended up graduating with a BA in political sciences, which - naturally enough - led to a first job as a Customer Service Representative in a bank and a subsequent MBA with an Accounting concentration. And today I'm finding I like Quality and Organizational Excellence. So based on personal experience I'd say

a. be prepared for your interests to continue changing as you take classes or are exposed to working life and

b. don't worry if you don't know the final destination, because most people don't

Finally, maybe you'd college on a part-time basis while working is an option? Perhaps that would allow you to explore a wider range of educational options and see what grabs you, while still maintaining a financial cushion for yourself. And then, when you find what you like, you can switch to full-time.

• Like 1

Finn,

Most of the UC schools are very well respected nationally and internationally.  If you graduate from a UC school, you will not be turned down for a job because of your degree.  When it comes to architecture, your student design projects will be what makes or breaks you.  I know someone that went into architecture at UC Berkeley and they say to be successful you have to spend A LOT of time working on your projects.  You essentially need to go above and beyond each time.  Expect to spend countless hours outside of class on your projects.

Because of your 3.0 GPA, you may need to first go to a community college and show that you can do well there before applying to an architecture program.  Unfortunately, architecture programs are extremely competitive and while a 3.0 might be ok for a lot of programs it probably isn't for architecture.  Of course, YMMV.

I'm glad you got your FAFSA done.  Given what your father makes, you should qualify for pell grants and federally subsidized stafford loans.

Best of luck :)

Ahhhh..... hard woooorrkkkk.. D: D: D: D:

Just joking. If it's fun (probably would be!), I figure I would just violently throw myself at the thing and beat it with a stick until I'm satisfied. I do it quite often as it stands now... Hmmm... *notes down that, yes, he should apply for community colleges*

Thanks AJ. :)

Hi Finn

Have you taken a look at this? http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/do-you-want-to-be-an-architect/   There might be some information you can use there.

Also, depending on where you live, might there be an association of licensed architects or something equivalent? Generally speaking, professional associations and their members are willing to share a lot of information & experiences with people that might be interested, either one-on-one or in breakfasts, etc. I don't see why architects would be any different!

Other than that, I have no real advice. I went into college as pre-med, then switched to psychology, then philosophy and ended up graduating with a BA in political sciences, which - naturally enough - led to a first job as a Customer Service Representative in a bank and a subsequent MBA with an Accounting concentration. And today I'm finding I like Quality and Organizational Excellence. So based on personal experience I'd say

a. be prepared for your interests to continue changing as you take classes or are exposed to working life and

b. don't worry if you don't know the final destination, because most people don't

Finally, maybe you'd college on a part-time basis while working is an option? Perhaps that would allow you to explore a wider range of educational options and see what grabs you, while still maintaining a financial cushion for yourself. And then, when you find what you like, you can switch to full-time.

Whoa! That site. It is glorious. Two hours of sheer awesomeness. It seemed a bit "aww shucks" at first, with regards to the demands of the college courses, but, the more I think about it, the more it seems manageable. Thanks for the link, mate. I'll also see if I can find anything about such an association on Google--would be interesting to meet a few.

And, yeah, I've heard that college students can be fickle things. :P

I might be similar myself, but I honestly can't think of any other recent interests that I want to do as a career. Maybe if I actually run into it, I'd have that bang of realization(! ;P).

Thanks, mates~~

Go to Community College, get your GPA up, and save some money.  A good side benefit is that counselors there are trained to help students transfer to 4-year schools, so they can help.  

Your first 2 years of college are exploratory anyway, doing a bunch of gen-ed stuff to build a better foundation, and to see what you like.  This will help you narrow down your choices of majors, and thus make a better decision on where to go for your final 2(ish) years.  

California public universities are definitely worth considering.  Some people claim that Cal (Berkeley) even rivals Stanford in quality, but those people smoked too much weed with the Berkeley hippies.  :lmao:

• Like 1

Get a degree in something with a realistic job market opportunity. Stay away from things like art, English, psychology, etc unless you plan on going to grad school. Then it may be worth considering, but if not you are just wasting thousands of dollars and four years to work in retail or McDonalds.

One of my college professors read to us an interesting study? survey? It talked about how the trend is moving towards a desire for Liberal Arts students because apparently there are issues with lack of competent reading in the math/science field. They like the reading aspect, the more critical thinking, and ability to learn better that a LA degree provides over a lot of other types.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100642178

Edited by iSimba

One of my college professors read to us an interesting study? survey? It talked about how the trend is moving towards a desire for Liberal Arts students because apparently there are issues with lack of competent reading in the math/science field. They like the reading aspect, the more critical thinking, and ability to learn better that a LA degree provides over a lot of other types.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100642178

Oh, that is lovely. Just brilliant. Too much specialization, a bad thing? Who'da thunk it.

Nice to know my "i want a bit of everything" isn't too bad. I'd probably try to squeeze some humanities in as, honestly, I'm kind of interested in those too. I wanted to take Psychology in high school, but didn't really have room between mandatory classes and the classes I wanted to take (those engineering ones). I'm also vaguely interested in Philosophy, and I guess a few extra literature classes wouldn't kill me....

Get a degree in something with a realistic job market opportunity. Stay away from things like art, English, psychology, etc unless you plan on going to grad school. Then it may be worth considering, but if not you are just wasting thousands of dollars and four years to work in retail or McDonalds.

Heh. Aye, I'd probably be up for going another few rounds. Although, wasting thousands of dollars is a terribly frightful concept... Hard to say whether learning things for the sake of learning them is a waste or not. ;P

At least economically/in reality, anyway. Knowledge is always good, but breaking your bank? Probably not.

Go to Community College, get your GPA up, and save some money.  A good side benefit is that counselors there are trained to help students transfer to 4-year schools, so they can help.  

Your first 2 years of college are exploratory anyway, doing a bunch of gen-ed stuff to build a better foundation, and to see what you like.  This will help you narrow down your choices of majors, and thus make a better decision on where to go for your final 2(ish) years.  

California public universities are definitely worth considering.  Some people claim that Cal (Berkeley) even rivals Stanford in quality, but those people smoked too much weed with the Berkeley hippies.  :lmao:

Hmm... Aye. Might just take the community college route, if anything just to save money I don't have... Bleh. :T

I wonder if there's any Berkeley hippies nearby...

Anyway!, thanks folks! I appreciate all your sagely words. ;P

Finn, you're in California. UC Berkeley bundles Architecture under the College of Environmental Design and offers BA, MA, MS, and PhD degrees. Take a look at the department website at http://ced.berkeley.edu/academics/architecture/. Click on Programs then Bachelor of Arts and look at this page. Especially look at the Accreditation and Licensure section at the bottom of the page; it tells why UC Berkeley is an outstanding choice for a degree in Architecture.

You say that you're not a people person. If you really aren't a people person then get some counseling to help solve that problem. Why? Look at the picture on the BA page. See all the students working together? That's a major part of working toward a degree in Architecture, working on a wide variety of projects with other students and being able to communicate with them and take a leadership role. During your undergraduate years you'll want to have an internship at an architectural or environmental design firm, working with staff at that firm. You'll need to apply for that internship position, and to convince them that they should take you on. Architecture includes being able to market yourself. That takes people skills and the ability to demonstrate that you're a people person.

Download the Architecture Major Handbook (the first link below the picture on the BA page). Look at prerequisites and the lower and upper division course requirements.

To be successful in Architecture, and not end up as someone who draws and edits someone else's designs on a computer all day, means getting a Master's Degree. If you're going to be considered for a position in a firm that has major construction projects that means a Master of Science degree.

When you have a good understanding about the Architecture program at UC Berkeley, contact Undergraduate Advising at (510) 642-4943 and talk to them. Ask to schedule a meeting with a professor or an instructor on the staff (not a TA) and take a trip to Berkeley and talk about your goals and what you'll need to do to be admitted to the Architecture program, and what you need  to do to graduate with the degree you need to be successful.

Based on your estimate of your family income I think you'll be able to get financial aid that could pay most of your fees and other expenses, though I don't know if the aid includes dorm and meal plan costs. While you're visiting go to the Financial Aid office and talk to them. That means you'll need current family income so they can evaluate your needs.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Colin B)

Edited by colinian

TL;DR Version: skip to the bolded.

Soooo... I graduated from high school last year. I've spent the last... ten months not doing much of anything serious; the first few were spent vaguely thinking of what I want to do (while evidently roaming and toying around the net). Late in the year though, I found myself dragged into helping someone for monetary reward, an arrangement which ceased about... two-three weeks ago.

Most of that money vanished god-knows-where, but some of it transfered into Uncle Sam's hands. In exchange, Uncle Sam threw a few documents at me, including a lisence to work and an SSN. (I immigrated to the United States at the age of 4.)

With said tidbits, I've finally found it appropriate to seek higher education. I've filled out the FAFSA, as I've been told that most colleges would require it so they know if I'm eligible for aid or not. I can't drive (I've never really had an interest in learning, mostly because I couldn't do it legally and doing things illegally just... bothers me), though my dad's told me he'll be working with me on that as soon as his car's repaired. I don't have a job at the moment, though I'll probably be seeking one over the next week or so.

But, the biggest issue here is what to do about the college. I'm extremely unsure about anything there--in school, I ignored most of the counselors's pushing as I thought I wouldn't really be able to pay for it (I wasn't a citizen or a resident and, at the time, wouldn't have been able to really work to pay for it--I'm not sure if these are legitimate excuses or not, and even if they are... they might still be excuses).

So, anyway, I've spent the last couple days somewhat searching for a college, but I'm not sure how I should choose one, or where I'm supposed to turn to for help. Neither am I really sure what I wanna be, and don't really to make any... "wrong" decisions.

For the couple year and some, I've been able to say "I wanna be an achitect"--and actually mean it. I took a couple classes (AUTOCAD and a high-school/university course in architecture... thing said it would count for college credits, but... well, it didn't feel like a super-advanced class) in my high school aimed at that field. But, I'm kind of fickle, and I don't know if it's what I really want. I also don't know if I am/would be any good at it, which I think is something that would be a little important in the field.

I've looked at a few couple private universites that have architectural programs, but I don't know if it's a... "good" one, for lack of a better word. I'm also not sure if that matters. I've also looked at at for-profit college in San Diego but, again, I'm not sure about anything. I also haven't really considered the public universities, and I'm unsure if I should. A friend has also given me advice that I should start in a community college, as it would be cheaper in the long-run, but I kind of don't like the local ones (lololol), and there's also the whole "everyone and their mother applies to these" part.

So, yeah... any words you guys can spare to nudge my extreme indecisiveness?

Any advice would be welcomed, but I'm mostly interested in answers for:

- What should I look at when choosing a college?

- Should I go community for the first two years, or jump straight into a university if possible?

- Should I consider the public California universities?

- Any suggestions as to what schools I should look into?

- How damned, fickle, indecisive and/or dumb am I?

- Am I overthinking things?

Relevant bits:

- My unweighted high school GDP is exactly 3.0

- I've a reasonable interest in Architecture, light high-school grade education in the subject (UC-Architectural Design, my transcript reads); no knowledge as to my skill in it

- The schools I've looked up are: Lawrence Technological University (private, non-profit), Woodbury University (private-non-profit); New School of Architecture & Design (private, for-profit); a couple local community colleges

- I'd honestly prefer a small school, with small classes; I'm not really a people person

- Pretty sure I'm poor; my dad makes less than 20k a year, and he's the main source of the household income... I think... /that/ situation's an utter mess

- I think I want to go away-from-home, as said home is kind of shaky, and... just.... I donno, family and all...

I apologize for the massive wall of text... I don't know how it resulted. I guess I'm just, really really conflicted about it. :P

Oh God, it's really long!! *hopes someone bothers to read it*

Omg i skipped to the bolded and I still had to bookmark this post to read for later Finn LOL. Hey edit your post and make it rainbow coloured, i'm sure someone will read it then 8D

(just kidding)

(you know i love you)

• Like 1

Omg i skipped to the bolded and I still had to bookmark this post to read for later Finn LOL. Hey edit your post and make it rainbow coloured, i'm sure someone will read it then 8D

(just kidding)

(you know i love you)

But rainbow's so ghey! What do you think this is? A site supportive of a homeosexuality? Madness!

Love you too, bro. :P