Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Where should Will and Marie go to College?

Harvard, Stanford, or Cal?   

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should Will and Marie go to college together? Is it important?

2. 2. Where should Will go?

• Harvard
    • Stanford
    • University of California, Berkeley (Cal)
  3. 3. Where should Marie go?

The thing is, Will's not you average kid from California. He has unlimited access to two private jets so being near the ocean or having warmer weather doesn't have to be a deciding factor for him. The academic program would be the strongest motivator, with proximity to family second.

I also don't think he would be that interested in oceanography as a field of study. He's made it very clear that surfing is a hobby for him, and I think that attitude would extend to the ocean as a whole. On the other hand, he's taken advantage of every opportunity to get involved in the running of various family businesses, as well as building his own investment portfolio, since he was about 13. I think Mark is setting him up as the logical successor to Stef's and Brad's collective empire so his education will likely reflect that path. 

Edited by impunity
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, impunity said:

The thing is, Will's not you average kid from California.

He is pretty much the average kid from the Malibu Colony. I know a lot of his clones.

7 hours ago, impunity said:

I also don't think he would be that interested in oceanography as a field of study. He's made it very clear that surfing is a hobby for him, and I think that attitude would extend to the ocean as a whole.

It is much more than a hobby, which I think he has made clear. The ocean is his refuge. It was to surfing and the ocean that he ran to when he ran away. When he needed to repair his relationship with Brad, they went surfing. He escapes to the house in Santa Cruz when he needs space and a refresh. He took Connie to Bondi. He built a house in Maui near the best surfing in Maui. That wasn't a coincidence. Surfing is about the only thing (besides sex) that he has shown any interest in until just recently. He's never expressed a reason to go to Harvard other than, "it's Harvard".

• Like 3
On 7/16/2023 at 11:34 PM, PrivateTim said:

Will has not cared what Brad thought since he was 12.

What you asked was, "why the weather should be a deciding factor in choosing your university", and I am telling you A LOT of kids want OUT of places like MN, OH, NY, etc and they are applying to schools in FL, AZ, TX and CA. I have also seen A LOT of California kids go away to schools like Michigan, BU, BC, NYU, Ohio State, etc and transfer back to CA or maybe to AZ and most say the weather drove them nuts. The Ivy schools are a bit stickier because of the prestige factor, but I'd seen CA kids come back from Yale, Harvard and Princeton too.

I don't suppose you are a surfer, so you may not get how important it is in the lives of many CA coastal kids. UCSD, UCSB, UCSC, Pepperdine, LMU, CSUMB, CSULB and many other schools near the coast do get students who have among the factors important to them, access to surfing.

For Will specifically, since the ocean is so important to him, picking the university with the top oceanographic department in the world, would make sense. But we've never heard Will's reason for going to Harvard or what his future plans are.

You make excellent points.  That compelling argument is why there's a poll in the first place.  On the flip side, I think Will was contemplating trying something totally different.  

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Mark Arbour said:

You make excellent points.  That compelling argument is why there's a poll in the first place.  On the flip side, I think Will was contemplating trying something totally different.  

See, like I said, I think the Legally Blonde experience would be good for Will, just like the Devil Wears Prada experience has been GREAT for JJ.

Culture shock is an interesting experience. I mean, you did it- Missouri is pretty different from Northern California. I did a milder version of it, going from the East Coast to living in Western Pennsylvania. It's not Hardcore Appalachia, but it's like the outer edges of it, and for a guy who's been raised no further than 90 minute drive from the coast since the age of 9, it was serious culture shock.

At the same time, I'm worried that having Will in Boston will bring just too much drama to the nice little family that Wade/Matt/Tiffany have set up. LOL (Although I do wonder if at some point Cody will try to get custody of his daughter Maddie from Tiffany.)

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

See, like I said, I think the Legally Blonde experience would be good for Will, just like the Devil Wears Prada experience has been GREAT for JJ.

Culture shock is an interesting experience. I mean, you did it- Missouri is pretty different from Northern California. I did a milder version of it, going from the East Coast to living in Western Pennsylvania. It's not Hardcore Appalachia, but it's like the outer edges of it, and for a guy who's been raised no further than 90 minute drive from the coast since the age of 9, it was serious culture shock.

At the same time, I'm worried that having Will in Boston will bring just too much drama to the nice little family that Wade/Matt/Tiffany have set up. LOL (Although I do wonder if at some point Cody will try to get custody of his daughter Maddie from Tiffany.)

Now Jeremy, surely I wouldn’t inflict drama on a happy family.  😈

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
On 7/23/2023 at 2:36 AM, Mark Arbour said:

Now Jeremy, surely I wouldn’t inflict drama on a happy family.  😈

Oh, you're right. I was worried about nothing. 😉

You gave Matt and Wade their happily ever after and I totally trust you won't explode it up. 

Totally. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Oh, you're right. I was worried about nothing. 😉 You gave Matt and Wade their happily ever after and I totally trust you won't explode it up. 

Let's face it, if Matt and Wade are to stay in the story as lead characters, and I believe they will, shit is gonna happen....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Oh, you're right. I was worried about nothing. 😉

You gave Matt and Wade their happily ever after and I totally trust you won't explode it up. 

Totally. 

A tad too trusting me thinks…….. remember this is the Mark Arbour who doesn’t let our feelings get in the way of a bit of drama, cliffhangers, bombs, drugs, etc etc.   let’s hope his Sauron’s eye doesn’t turn to their house in Boston ……

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
8 hours ago, PrivateTim said:

Let's face it, if Matt and Wade are to stay in the story as lead characters, and I believe they will, shit is gonna happen....

LOL true that. I figured it would happen around 2008 because that's going to be an interesting year for finance bros like Matt.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Will now realizes he can change his mind after a year, He looks like he will attend as a freshman for sure.

After listening to his Dad...." Will considers that he has flexibility. “That kind of puts this into a whole different perspective,” I said, my mind reeling at the thought of having options even after the first year of school.

“Always have a contingency plan,"

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..