Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Where should Will and Marie go to College?

Harvard, Stanford, or Cal?   

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should Will and Marie go to college together? Is it important?

2. 2. Where should Will go?

• Harvard
    • Stanford
    • University of California, Berkeley (Cal)
  3. 3. Where should Marie go?

5 minutes ago, Mark Arbour said:

The problem is that people who go to Cal are usually total douches.  😀

OMG Stanfurd isn't even a full university, it is right there IN THEIR NAME, Leland Stanfurd, JUNIOR UNIVERSITY 🤣

• Haha 5

So, can someone explain to this Brit, please, why the weather should be a deciding factor in choosing your university? Ummm. Also, Marie is important but what about his half sister in Boston?  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Gary L said:

So, can someone explain to this Brit, please, why the weather should be a deciding factor in choosing your university? 

I couldn't agree more. It can be a consideration, but there are so many more important things to take into account. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Gary L said:

So, can someone explain to this Brit, please, why the weather should be a deciding factor in choosing your university? Ummm. Also, Marie is important but what about his half sister in Boston?  

Pretty easy really. The U.S. is not like Britain. Britain is about 60% the size of California, the highest point in the country is only about 1,300m, so no matter where you go in the country, the weather is very similar, so it doesn't matter if you go the University of Edinburgh or the University of Bath, the weather isn't going to vary much.

For someone who likes to surf as much as they can, because they are in sunshine and temperate weather, going to a place where it snows six month out of the year puts a real damper on surfing..... and other outdoor activities like golfing, tennis, outdoor parties, etc.

Lots of students from the Northeast, and Northern Midwest wind up going to college in Florida, Arizona, California and other warm weather areas.

Marie is also a peer, vs a toddler.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

JP's letter clearly indicates he will support them wherever they decide to go.  Marie's point about having their mentor closer was another plus. Marie is serious about her concerns for her parents.  The allure of surfing is mentioned.  Travis is there and will probably go to Arizona for his degree.  Neither Will or Marie need the prestige of a degree from Harvard to advance their careers.  The weather factor isn't major but it is just one more thing.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Daddydavek said:

Will's half sister in Boston is a toddler.

Ah, thanks.  But also cousin vs half-sister whom he promised to care for.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

JP's letter clearly indicates he will support them wherever they decide to go.  Marie's point about having their mentor closer was another plus. Marie is serious about her concerns for her parents.  The allure of surfing is mentioned.  Travis is there and will probably go to Arizona for his degree.  Neither Will or Marie need the prestige of a degree from Harvard to advance their careers.  The weather factor isn't major but it is just one more thing.

I can’t believe weather or surfing would be an acceptable reason for university choice for JP, Brad, or any family member.  Or Will, himself. Family trust issues are a minor concern once things get sorted.  
I await with huge interest to see how our author resolves this…… be strong Mark, trust me!,,,, 😛 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Gary L said:

I can’t believe weather or surfing would be an acceptable reason for university choice for JP, Brad, or any family member.  Or Will, himself. Family trust issues are a minor concern once things get sorted.

Will has not cared what Brad thought since he was 12.

What you asked was, "why the weather should be a deciding factor in choosing your university", and I am telling you A LOT of kids want OUT of places like MN, OH, NY, etc and they are applying to schools in FL, AZ, TX and CA. I have also seen A LOT of California kids go away to schools like Michigan, BU, BC, NYU, Ohio State, etc and transfer back to CA or maybe to AZ and most say the weather drove them nuts. The Ivy schools are a bit stickier because of the prestige factor, but I'd seen CA kids come back from Yale, Harvard and Princeton too.

I don't suppose you are a surfer, so you may not get how important it is in the lives of many CA coastal kids. UCSD, UCSB, UCSC, Pepperdine, LMU, CSUMB, CSULB and many other schools near the coast do get students who have among the factors important to them, access to surfing.

For Will specifically, since the ocean is so important to him, picking the university with the top oceanographic department in the world, would make sense. But we've never heard Will's reason for going to Harvard or what his future plans are.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..