Horror Games

advocatus diaboli

I'm no good with horror games either. People are all like, "You should play Amnesia: The Dark Descent!"

And I'm all like, "No, you should play it...and I'll watch."

When I say I love the Resident Evil series, what I mean is that I love playing the not-so-scary bits and leaving the rest to other people who can hold the controller more steadily than I can while being eaten to death by zombies.

I remember trying to get through the first Fatal Frame/Project Zero/Rei game and all you have to do is enter a house and start exploring as The Guy from the Prologue who Will Clearly Meet His Doom Before the Real Main Character Comes In and all I'm doing is walking down a dark corridor. But the atmosphere is just too thick. It's dark and grainy and the noises are unsettling and I feel like I'm walking down the corridor to hell. There was no combat. No ghosts. No monsters. Just me and a hallway. And I couldn't hack it. Had to quit not 5 minutes in.

I'm even worse with horror movies. Other people will be laughing or shouting, "Go downstairs, dumbass!" and I'll be there with my hands over my eyes squirming and writhing around like a beaten snake.

Has anyone here ever had the super-unsettling experience of playing The Dark Eye? Edgar Allen Poe stories told with freaky wax dolls who have no pupils in their eyes? Here was my reaction to that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm still trying to work up the courage to finish off Outlast. Probably the most terrifying thing I've ever played but you get this urge to shout MAN MODE! when you successfully escape from an enemy that's chasing you. Barely touched Amnesia (think I'm in a wine celler), haven't finished Project Zero 2 or Silent Hill: The Room. Need to get back to System Shock 2 at some point (think Bioshock in space) and finish off the extra stuff for Slender: The Arrival. 

So yeah I really like my horror games. 

New favorite game is walking dead...so tragic and human, it is like the show as a video game. I couldn't save any of them :(

I usually hate tv/movie video games, but seriously I think this is the best and all you moral choices come back to haunt you. It is not about the tv characters, but the universe of the walking dead.

Also good is the video game last of us, if you like the genre and zombies :P .

But that's the point, the world is made up of consequences and impossible choices. The game is fun because you're not just killing zombies like dead rising or in a weird place like bioshock that happens too, but your life and the lives of other characters in the game have meaning to how it progresses. Straight up zombie/ghost/monster shooters or atmosphere is scary, but making a bad choice is the scariest of all.

Edited by W_L