21 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

10 Red Widow Spider-bugguide

Red Widows' Bites Are Very Painful

Living in the southern and central parts of Florida, Red Widow Spiders tend to make their homes in sand dunes. Considering Florida has a lot of sand, this isn't great for the locals.

Red Widows' venom is just as strong and painful as its relatives, the Black and Brown Widows, but they are smaller and don't expel quite as much.

:cowboy:

That's a good reason why you should avoid Florida, or at least not lie around on the beaches.  I know the black widow kills its mate, but I wonder if the brown and red widows also kill their mates.  If so, it would be a good reason for the males of those three species to be gay.  

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
14 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.37fcbf454b3f3b271473af8715dead6d.jpeg

image.jpeg.4c8f1a722905b63ec5c8b1ae247952a5.jpeg

For centuries, symmetry has remained a subject that has fascinated philosophers, astronomers, mathematicians, artists, architects, and physicists.

Neat looking webs, but the bottom photo looks as if the spiders are trying to spin records on the web.  

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, sandrewn said:

13.Euophrys-omnisuperstes.jpg

The Himalayan jumping spider can live at elevations greater than 20,000 feet. It relies on bugs being blown to those heights by the wind for food.

Himalayan Jumping Spider Euophrys Omnisuperstes Species fact sheet - Jumping Spider

This spider better hope that the wind doesn't stop blowing or that it blows so hard that it lifts it into the stratosphere.  

• Haha 2

image.jpeg.2a5424937c9cd2b819f8a0b06d493727.jpeg

image.jpeg.73fcc4641edaf947a73c31e77b6f5ca6.jpeg

Is the spider sticking its tongue out to us in the top photo, and the bottom photo looks more like a crab than a spider.   Do you think they're interbreeding? 

• Haha 2

I am still having problems posting images here, it is still a work in progress🤞

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This looks more like a child's toy than an actual spider.  Isn't that a candlestick I'm seeing on its front?  Mustard spider in the billard room with the candlestick.   

• Haha 2

image.jpeg.4fb503ec396dfdfab1eadc474ecfa960.jpeg

Check the small spider, this was taken in Seychelles

(I have nothing else on this one)

image.jpeg.4727de689f9f43be2f549ad2deb82900.jpeg
TIL of the museum infested with the Chilean Recluse spider (Loxosceles laeta), widely considered to be the most venomous of its kind. The museum, Finnish Museum of Natural History, is located in Helsinki & no one is sure how the spider, native to South & Central America, came into

I'll keep trying to get the posting & copying  back to the way it was🤞🤞🤞

image.jpeg

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.4fb503ec396dfdfab1eadc474ecfa960.jpeg

Check the small spider, this was taken in Seychelles

(I have nothing else on this one)

Damn, talk about a daddy long-legs.  This might be the king of them all. 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.e3621d74fa8e75745561768a163c7589.jpeg

Sometimes words fail me.

This is definitely one of those times!!!!

I wouldn't want to get bitten by those.  I hope they're not its baby fangs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

image.jpeg.f02895dae6324481cc1476b38f9848af.jpeg

Thorned heart orb weaver, Micrathena clypeata

from Ecuador

image.jpeg.a89ab4bf91929874f1fc8baf1b18104b.jpeg

Kite biscuit orb weaver (Isoxya tabulata)

from Mozambique ?

image.jpeg.da8b324e1b78f8e404eaa385483d739b.jpeg

Mangrove Jumping Spider

Jumping spiders are generally diurnal, active hunters. Their well-developed internal hydraulic system extends their limbs by altering the pressure of body fluid (hemolymph) within them. This enables the spiders to jump without having large muscular legs like a grasshopper. Most jumping spiders can jump several times the length of their bodies. When a jumping spider is moving from place to place, and especially just before it jumps, it tethers a filament of silk (or 'dragline') to whatever it is standing on to protect itself if the jump should fail. Should it fall, for example if the prey shakes it off, it climbs back up the silk tether. Some species, such as Portia, will actually let themselves down to attack prey such as a web spider apparently secure in the middle of its web. Like many other spiders that leave practically continuous silk trails, jumping spiders impregnate the silk line with pheromones that play a role in social and reproductive communication, and possibly in navigation.

Certain species of jumping spiders have been shown by experiment to be capable of learning, recognizing, and remembering colors, and adapting their hunting behavior accordingly.

• Wow 1
8 hours ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.f02895dae6324481cc1476b38f9848af.jpeg

Thorned heart orb weaver, Micrathena clypeata

from Ecuador

image.jpeg.a89ab4bf91929874f1fc8baf1b18104b.jpeg

Kite biscuit orb weaver (Isoxya tabulata)

from Mozambique ?

image.jpeg.da8b324e1b78f8e404eaa385483d739b.jpeg

Mangrove Jumping Spider

Jumping spiders are generally diurnal, active hunters. Their well-developed internal hydraulic system extends their limbs by altering the pressure of body fluid (hemolymph) within them. This enables the spiders to jump without having large muscular legs like a grasshopper. Most jumping spiders can jump several times the length of their bodies. When a jumping spider is moving from place to place, and especially just before it jumps, it tethers a filament of silk (or 'dragline') to whatever it is standing on to protect itself if the jump should fail. Should it fall, for example if the prey shakes it off, it climbs back up the silk tether. Some species, such as Portia, will actually let themselves down to attack prey such as a web spider apparently secure in the middle of its web. Like many other spiders that leave practically continuous silk trails, jumping spiders impregnate the silk line with pheromones that play a role in social and reproductive communication, and possibly in navigation.

Certain species of jumping spiders have been shown by experiment to be capable of learning, recognizing, and remembering colors, and adapting their hunting behavior accordingly.

Now those are some unusual looking spiders.  The top one almost looks like a strawberry and the bottom one as a biscuit, as its name implies.  The top two also have some nasty looking spikes sticking off the side of their abdomen (at least that's what part of the body I think those are).  Looking at the bottom spider head on, it almost looks like a common house fly at first, but I pity the prey that gets too close.  

Edited by Bill W
  • Like 2

ii

image.jpeg.f332dc5a64692c0c77691964d11c6402.jpeg

If I remember correctly, outdoor spiders don't do well inside the house and inside spiders don't do well outside due to the different types of feet they have.  If that's the case, then it seems as if this remedy is of little use, except to the companies that make the products you'd use in that concoction.  

• Haha 2