image.jpeg.a9769f972d71bcff23daeda572b7e8d2.jpeg

These newly discovered pelican spiders will make you want to visit Madagascar

In 1854, a curious-looking spider was found preserved in 50 million-year-old amber. With an elongated neck-like structure and long mouthparts that protruded from the “head”

These newly discovered pelican spiders will make you want to visit Madagascar | Smithsonian Institution

:cowboy:

• Wow 1
8 hours ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.a9769f972d71bcff23daeda572b7e8d2.jpeg

These newly discovered pelican spiders will make you want to visit Madagascar

In 1854, a curious-looking spider was found preserved in 50 million-year-old amber. With an elongated neck-like structure and long mouthparts that protruded from the “head”

These newly discovered pelican spiders will make you want to visit Madagascar | Smithsonian Institution

Man, that's creepy looking.  To be honest, when I first looked at this photo I thought I was looking at the skeletal remains of some creature, not a living one.  Talk about Ripley's Believe it or Not, this would definitely fit in that category. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Bill W said:

Man, that's creepy looking.  To be honest, when I first looked at this photo I thought I was looking at the skeletal remains of some creature, not a living one.  Talk about Ripley's Believe it or Not, this would definitely fit in that category. 

To be honest, when I first looked at this photo and saw the name given, 'Pelican Spider', I had to agree! It reminded me of a pelican( I guess it is true, great minds do think alike:whistle:).

:boy:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.d8d832645aac23d3ff3aeb3ecf420ccb.jpeg

Spiderlings?

Individually, the don't have enough legs.  They only have two legs, not eight. 

Collectively, they have too many legs, fourteen, but if they added another human they'd have enough for two spiders, groups of four banded together.  

Edited by Bill W
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, Bill W said:

Now that's the skinniest spider I ever saw.  In fact if I saw it, I would think it was a walking stick or another insect, because try as I might, from that photo I cannot count eight legs. 

I am starting to think that maybe it is time for me to give this topic a rest. If not for several members (thank you all), the silence here would be deafening. It has gotten to the point, where I even look forward to a comment(any comment) that doubts what I have posted.

Sorry Bill W, I may of gotten the name wrong, but it is, in fact a spider.

Genus Ariames

Whip or Stick spiders.

image.jpeg.1872b00f810395b379a0fb3df2de3445.jpeg

These very long spiders are often common in eastern Australia in gardens. Because of their narrow body they are difficult to spot between dead grass and sticks. The female is 20-25 mm and the male 12-15 mm. during the day she rests motionless with the legs outstretched. During the night they become active and hang downward towards the ground with a single snare attached to the ground. Even with this simple snare she is able to catch small insects. Her egg-sac is of strong papery silk and is 3-4 in diameter. The female guards her egg for the two weeks it takes before the young hatch.

image.jpeg.bce8fe6388c41ce2454a3bb16ecdb5e6.jpeg

Thanks,

• Like 3
5 hours ago, sandrewn said:

I am starting to think that maybe it is time for me to give this topic a rest. If not for several members (thank you all), the silence here would be deafening. It has gotten to the point, where I even look forward to a comment(any comment) that doubts what I have posted.

Sorry Bill W, I may of gotten the name wrong, but it is, in fact a spider.

Genus Ariames

Whip or Stick spiders.

image.jpeg.1872b00f810395b379a0fb3df2de3445.jpeg

These very long spiders are often common in eastern Australia in gardens. Because of their narrow body they are difficult to spot between dead grass and sticks. The female is 20-25 mm and the male 12-15 mm. during the day she rests motionless with the legs outstretched. During the night they become active and hang downward towards the ground with a single snare attached to the ground. Even with this simple snare she is able to catch small insects. Her egg-sac is of strong papery silk and is 3-4 in diameter. The female guards her egg for the two weeks it takes before the young hatch.

image.jpeg.bce8fe6388c41ce2454a3bb16ecdb5e6.jpeg

Thanks,

Ah, another Australian creature.  They've got a lot of strange things down there.  lol 

And I hate to see this end.  I've learned a lot from it, even though I make crazy comments about the posts.  

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Bill W said:

Ah, another Australian creature.  They've got a lot of strange things down there.  lol 

And I hate to see this end.  I've learned a lot from it, even though I make crazy comments about the posts.  

Wow, I am gobsmacked!

A positive comment and a reaction from you. Incentive indeed to carry on.

Thanks,

sandrewn:2thumbs:

And to those, I have not named(but not forgotten), thank you all so very much:heart:.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sandrewn said:

Now that an usual looking spider, and I hate to say this, but it's kind of attractive.  However, I do have a question.  What are those things at the top and bottom of the web - the things that look like an old telephone cord.  Are those something the spider made? 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.b6a5e69bda33198c50acbdb9d2fd43c6.jpeg

That a funny cartoon - and this is coming from a guy who lives in an area known for having brown recluse spiders.  I'm not sure if the Cleveland Browns or their fans would appreciate this cartoon though.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 9/27/2023 at 1:03 PM, sandrewn said:

I would hate to see this topic come to an end, It's interesting and informative, not to mention the funny posts that never fail to amuse me. I don't comment very often, but I look forward to the topic posts, so please don't stop.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Bill W said:

Now that an usual looking spider, and I hate to say this, but it's kind of attractive.  However, I do have a question.  What are those things at the top and bottom of the web - the things that look like an old telephone cord.  Are those something the spider made? 

I was lucky this time and came across the answer in quick time. Sadly, this one was the exception to rule. There are a few that I still don't have an answer for(yet).

Fotoware Image

St Andrew's Cross Spiders are named for their bright, cross-shaped web decorations.

Zig-zag ribbons of bluish-white silk that form a full or partial cross through the centre of the orb web. Females have a silvery carapace and a silver, yellow, red and black banded upper abdomen with two longitudinal yellow stripes below. The spider sits with the legs in pairs. The brown and cream coloured males are smaller than females..............

St Andrew's Cross Spider - The Australian Museum

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

Gone with the wind

image.jpeg.d8d485f09125499fe8bbfac3eae3fa03.jpeg

Dr Sara Goodacre explains how and why spiders ‘fly’ and ‘sail’ to pastures new

Gone with the wind

So in other words, they're the real spider man, well - skip the man part, soaring through the air on a spider web.  It's definitely cheaper than booking a flight on Delta or some other airline, but then again they're probably not going very far and just didn't want to take the bus or a taxi.  

• Haha 2