3 hours ago, sandrewn said:

I found quite a number of references, but this one seems to answer your questions and is good read at the same time.

What species of spiders live in Australia and are they venomous?

:cowboy:

That was a good article, although I have a question with something the author said at the very beginning: "apparently living in a tropical climate has its drawbacks."  Australia a tropical climate?  That one puzzled me, but the rest of the article was very informative. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.e68d4bb7da91fcc27e697a7f815c2271.jpeg

Sea spiders can regrow their anuses

In a new study, some juvenile sea spiders were able to regrow amputated body parts, which was previously assumed to be impossible in these marine arthropods.

Sea spiders can regrow their anuses, scientists discover | Live Science

I am stuck on sea spiders, bear with me (for now)!

Thanks

That's very interesting, as was the article you posted about sea spiders.  However, this almost looks like a photo that someone used a yellow highlighter on in order to draw something resembling a sea spider.  lol 

• Haha 1

image.jpeg.8b8b95420442b153419c860cabea0534.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Bill W said:

That's very interesting, as was the article you posted about sea spiders.  However, this almost looks like a photo that someone used a yellow highlighter on in order to draw something resembling a sea spider.  lol 

Type in 'Images of Sea Spiders' . Pipe cleaners and the use of various colored highlighters, seems to be a common ingredient in their creation.

images of sea spiders - Google Search

Sea Spiders 101: The Odd Looking World Of Class Pycnogonida

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.bd14963d015aa7e9be7f16294e11c8a3.jpeg

Red Kneed Sea Spider With Eggs

Very colorful, but if sea spiders are crustaceans, they don't have a great deal in common with real spiders, except for possibly eight legs.  

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Bill W said:

Very colorful, but if sea spiders are crustaceans, they don't have a great deal in common with real spiders, except for possibly eight legs.  

I don't know if you are right or wrong. The following is an extract from the article below. The jury is still out on exactly what they are.

" Although "sea spiders" are not true spiders, nor even arachnids, their traditional classification as chelicerates would place them closer to true spiders than to other well-known arthropod groups, such as insects or crustaceans, if correct. This is disputed, however, as genetic evidence suggests they may be a sister group to all other living arthropods. "

Sea spider - Wikipedia

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, Bill W said:

I can see it, but what is it?  Is that a field of spiders? 

I've seen this type of spider on BBC America's, Planet Earth. It's a spider that lives in the desert and buries itself in the sand in wait for prey.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, TalonRider said:

I've seen this type of spider on BBC America's, Planet Earth. It's a spider that lives in the desert and buries itself in the sand in wait for prey.

Ok, but all I see are grains of sand - or something like that, but thanks for the input. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bill W said:

I can see it, but what is it?  Is that a field of spiders? 

9 hours ago, TalonRider said:

You both got me curious as well. I found the answer.

It is a Wolf Spider

Camouflaged spider from closer - Ocyale guttata | This is a … | Flickr

Bill, I have spent over an hour going through Nicky Bay photos. I will find an answer for you, eventually (hopefully).

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

You both got me curious as well. I found the answer.

It is a Wolf Spider

Camouflaged spider from closer - Ocyale guttata | This is a … | Flickr

Bill, I have spent over an hour going through Nicky Bay photos. I will find an answer for you, eventually (hopefully).

All I can say is that's one hell of a camoflauge technique.  I could see it in the link you just supplied, but I still can't see it in the first pholo.  

• Like 2
c0e03399e4945f67c8702100e6dbbed1

Tourists from Switzerland got more than they bargained for while driving in Death Valley National Park in California Saturday, the National Park Service says.

The couple spotted a tarantula crossing CA-190 east of Towne Pass and hit the brakes of their rented camper van hard to avoid hitting it, according to the park service — and a 24-year-old motorcyclist from Canada then rammed into the back of the camper.

A park service ambulance brought him to Desert View Hospital in Pahrump. There was no word on his condition.

The spider — as the park service put it — "walked away unscathed."

"Please drive slowly, especially going down steep hills in the park," said Superintendent Mike Reynolds, the first park service employee to get to the scene. "Our roads still have gravel patches due to flood damage, and wildlife of all sizes are out."

The service points out that, "Tarantulas spend most of their long lives in underground burrows. People see them most often in the fall, when 8- to 10-year-old male tarantulas leave their burrows to search for a mate.  The female sometimes kills and eats him after mating. Even if she doesn't kill him, the male tarantula rarely lives more than a few more months. However, female tarantulas can live for 25 years, mating multiple times.

"Tarantulas are slow moving and nonaggressive. A tarantula's bite is reported to be similar to a bee sting, and is not deadly to humans."

I told you most spiders would be better off gay!  😈

• Haha 3
22 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

tumblr_ps5dupGYwu1r6iqiyo1_1280.jpg.4162c6320439d3af04b1aa90266a716a.jpg

???????????????

It appears as if this spider has managed to form a water bubble at the end of its legs so it can walk across some water, whether its a puddle, a pond, or a lake. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

ccc90ece6ce27cc7c2bec4101d1a1401.jpg.469bbd166250aa52462bc0d86153f14b.jpg

??????????

I'm not sure what to say about this spider.  It would probably be appropriate in a bunch of unripe bananas, since it blend in quite well with them.  

• Wow 1
44 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

This looks like a mouse that took a nosedive into something soft that hardened around it.  Either that or it had a parachuting accident, although it looks as if it hit the target. 

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, sandrewn said:

0a1cc89edb72a4557a598b182674c1c8.jpg.b56199667639d49d1c0566aec1ba5765.jpg

Triangular spider Arkys walckenaeri

What a good looking spider, looking ready to go out on a date. 

But what big front legs you have.  Do you use them to catch your prey? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1