Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

2002 Playlist

So it's November in CAP-World, and we're heading towards the year 2002. What were your songs for that year?

Here's my '02 Playlist:

1. "Lose Yourself" by Eminem

Come on, this isn't even a question. Clearly the best tune from that year.

2. "Your Body Is A Wonderland" by John Mayer

I had a friend who was kind of an early adopter of John Mayer, so it was kinda cool to see when he broke out later that year with this song. The interesting thing about this song was that it wasn't a top 10 huge hit, but it stayed on the charts and in considerable radio play for at least an entire year after it came out- I remember still hearing this on the radio in late '03.

3. "Just Can't Get You Out Of My Head" by Kylie Minoque

Just a great dance tune all around. What a nice comeback.

4. "Just Like A Pill" by Pink

I remember thinking that this was the tune where Pink basically admitted that she didn't want to be a hip-hop artist and was more of a rocker.

5. "Only In New York" from Thoroughly Modern Millie

I saw this on Broadway back in '02, and oh my god, I just fell in love with this song and the city of New York City. I think I had this soundtrack on endless repeat during the summer of 2002.

Every time I hear this song, I picture myself wide-eyed, 16 years old, and absolutely in awe of Manhattan, which just seemed like a wonderful dream.

6. "Lifestyles of the Rich and the Famous" by Good Charlotte

Good Charlotte. I'm so embarrassed now to admit that I ever liked them. LOL. I think the last time I liked them was about the time they put out "Hold On"...which was like...'04? After that I just couldn't.

7. "Head-On Collision" by New Found Glory

I loovvvveeeedddd Sticks and Stones, which I bought from Hot Topic. Oh my god, I loved this tune.

8. "Screaming Infidelities" by Dashboard Confessional

Emo music. You've gotta love it. I remember when people would jam on this in a guitar.

9. "All the Things She Said" by TaTu

Another guilty pleasure...we used to call it "that lesbian song" in 10th grade, and given that there were a lot of bisexual and/or lesbian girls at school(or girls who thought being bi was cool), it was kind of an anthem. I remember watching a queer retrospective called "Totally Gay!" where Melissa Etheridge thought that it was cool and progressive that blatantly exploiting lesbian imagery was being used to advance a music group.

10. "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne

The Avril Lavigne look, i.e. looking like Hot Topic threw up all over you. Man, those were the days. I actually had a friend this song reminded me of, and I'd listen to it in my 10th grade angst and think of him.

11. "She Hates Me" by Puddle of Mudd

12. "Wasting My Time" by Default

13. "Oops, Oh My" by Tweet

14. "Hot In Here" by Nelly

15. "Hands Clean" by Alanis Morisette

• Like 1

I was searching through my tracks (I don't remember their release dates) only then I realized how much of my tracks are from mid-2000 period.  2002 I have just Norah Jones, "Seven Years" (from her Come Away with Me Album).  I wasn't a big listener of music back then (and I am somewhat slow on the trend).  Can't wait for 2004-2005 when we have The Killers, Jimmy Eat World, Coldplay, Keane, James Blunt, etc.

EDIT: Oh, and 2002 has Damien Rice (Cannonballs).  Though I am not sure I enjoy it as much nowadays, but it's from that time and some people may want to remember that hit.

Edited by Ashi

I agree- I think the mid-part of the decade had the best music. I can't wait to use the Killers.

I'm not thrilled with being stuck with 2002 music, but there's still some good stuff. Although damn, was Ashanti everywhere or what?

The good thing is that the White Stripes are around now.

16. "Fell In Love With A Girl" by The White Stripes

And the Strokes:

17.  "Someday" by The Strokes

I think the White Stripes and The Strokes had a massive influence on how rock music evolved for this decade, away from the post-grunge sound.

Edited by methodwriter85

Oh, I am not saying early 2000's had no good music.  It's just mid-2000's music is more of my thing.  Now I think of it, back in early 2000's I was mostly a classical/jazz listener.  Now I include all sort of genres on my listening list.  Cool lists you've been compiling, by the way.  Very laudable effort.  I can't remember this much goodies!  :)

Meteora by Linkin Park

The Better Life and Away From the Sun by 3 Doors Down

Monument by the Dixie Chicks

Fallen by Evanescense

"Because the Night" various covers

"Look at Us" Sarina Paris

"In my Dreams"

All six volumes of Happy 2B Hardcore

I also went on a bit of a music binge that covered the previous two decades. 2002 was the year I graduated high school and moved off the mountain. So where I'd previously only been able to spottily pick up one country station, and that was it, I suddenly had access to Top 40 and "Best of the 80s, 90s and now" stations. I still pretty much listen to stations like that. I basically never took off my headphones if I wasn't in class or at work, and sometimes had them on at work.

Edited by B1ue
  • Like 1

Meteora by Linkin Park

Blue, you're a bit off- the album wasn't released until March 25th, 2003. I remember thinking you had to be a bit off, because in 2002 a lot of Hybrid Theory stuff was still making the rounds. Evanescence is also from 2003- I remember "Bring Me To Life" became a hit in the spring of '03, when I was in 10th grade. Don't feel bad though- this stuff is hard, especially from music that's from the same era but not the correct year.

If I'm being honest, I was hoping Mark was going to skip over 2002 because the music for 2003 was better, but with the graduation storyline for Matt and Wade, I can't see Mark skipping over '02.

"Look at Us" Sarina Paris

I remember this tune being used on the MTV show "Rich Girls", which played at Tommy Hilfiger's daughter's prom and featured a wordless cameo from a then-famous Mischa Barton.

Anyway, I can't wait to use this one:

17. "Heaven" by DJ Sammy

What a great dance tune. There's also an  alternative, slow version of this that's pretty beautiful, I think.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 4 weeks later...

"Heaven" is actually 18, but yeah.

19. "Hey Ma" by Cam'Ron

20."Sk8ter Boi" by Avril Lavigne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw5I4BetUj4

If you were in high school during the second half of 2002, it was impossible to escape Avril Lavigne. She had been turned into the anti-pop Anti-Britney without really being anti-pop. Really popular 2002 Halloween costume.

• 1 month later...

Also, a couple country singles from that year or earlier:

"I Just Want to Be Mad" by Terri Clark

"Life Happened" by Tammy Cochron. Although I personally didn't hear this one until much later, it's now one of my favorites.

"Ten Rounds with Jose Cuervo" by Tracy Byrd

"I Should be Sleeping" by Emerson Drive

"Beautiful Mess" by Diamond Rio

"Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue" by Toby Keith. My sisters will frown on my admitting this, but this song has long bothered me, but it has been the anthem of the Red states basically since it came out. Arguably *before* it came out, as Keith had been playing it on his live shows for some time before he released it as a single.

And on a sillier note: "I'm Gonna Miss Her (The Fishing Song)" by Brad Paisley

And "When God Fearin' Women Get the Blues" by Martina McBride. The song itself is pretty funny, but the video sees that silliness and raises it.

Hey Blue and Private Tim...what are some great gay club tunes from '02?

You have a curiously naive idea of how sober I was at these things if you think I was paying enough attention to identify when songs started to be rereleased as dance tracks.

I think I listed in another thread way back when some songs from the 2001 era. Beyond those, I recommend looking up compilations from that year. If all else fails, pick 80s songs at random, and you're possibly close.

Edit: wait, you said gay club. I have no idea then.

Edited by B1ue
  • Like 1

You have a curiously naive idea of how sober I was at these things if you think I was paying enough attention to identify when songs started to be rereleased as dance tracks.

I think I listed in another thread way back when some songs from the 2001 era. Beyond those, I recommend looking up compilations from that year. If all else fails, pick 80s songs at random, and you're possibly close.

Edit: wait, you said gay club. I have no idea then.

They were already playing 80's nostalgia picks then? Cool. I've got a couple in mind, then. (I didn't start going to clubs until 2007-2008.)

I'm not certain what you mean by nostalgia picks, but I suspect you don't mean quite what I did. There seemed to be an uptick in covers from 80s and early 90s hits, but that may simply be a result of my remember those songs better.

Ooh, Ian Van Dahl. "Castles in the Sky" was played a lot.

I meant like when I was at a bar, and they'd have 80's themed nights, or they'd play tunes from the 80's mixed in with the modern stuff. Like now, you get 90's stuff mixed in with current stuff on DJ playlists. I remember "Take Me Home Tonight" was a popular tune at frat parties.

Hey, out of curiousity...what do you think of the whole EDM thing, and acts like Martin Garrix and Avicii? This is probably more appropriate to my "Upcoming Trends" thread, but eh.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..