[Topher_Lydon] You guys decide

Married  

25 members have voted

1. 1. If Darien asks Elias to marry him should Elias Say...

• No way in hell!
    • not yet, lets learn to make it work first.
    • Pass the tourva root?
    • Yes, bout time! I've been dying for you to ask since book one, jerk!
    • But I'm not pregnant! Not yet...but if I asked Kyr nicely...
  2. 2. What type of ring?

• A silver Irish style promise ring (heart one)
    • A traditional diamond.
    • Something unique and funky.
    • No ring at all.
  3. 3. Where should he ask?

• Traditional on one knee restaurant.
    • In the snow walking through Karin City.
    • On the bridge, in between cutomary explosions and red alert sirens.
    • At a Karin state function, in front of everyone (Make the sucker earn it).
  4. 4. Darien's Best man?

• Mayfair
    • Kit
    • Shale
  5. 5. Elias's Best man/woman/alien

• Lauren
    • Kyr

As much as I'm sure many people won't understand my vote, I voted for "No way in hell!". I'd hope by the time this story was set that the whole institution of marriage would be dead, replaced by a civil partnership type system for everyone straight or gay. Let's face it, marriage has all these religious morals and ideas that go with it, I feel that people should sign a document and that's it, if they want a church service then let them have it before or after.

Marriage shouldn't have all the rights it does being a religious institution in secular countries, hence the civil partnership idea, plus instead of divorces have it set that anyone who enters such a partnership takes only what they had when they entered into it, plus half of anything since. Very simple and easy.

Since I know Darien will ask Elias and Elias will say yes it'll have to be a big function with Elias now being Prince Edward.

I picked the unique ring simply because with all the exotic things there would be beyond diamonds and such, why pick something boring? There are a lot more places than just earth to source things when you have a large starship :P

I'd hope by the time this story was set that the whole institution of marriage would be dead, replaced by a civil partnership type system for everyone straight or gay.

...whereas, as far as i'm concerned, that's already happened. I hate it when people tell me marriage is a 'religious thing' because it isn't, and it wasn't religious originally. It's a social institution. I know a tonne of married atheists, after all. Marriage is about declaring a partnership's status for legal purposes - an easy way of re-assigning next-of-kin status and formalising domestic relationships - and the fact that organised religions have decided to co-opt the institution when it suits their needs to do so is beside the point. I think we need to take the religious connotations back out of the word 'marriage', rather than trying to adopt some kind of cumbersome term like 'civil partnership' - it just doesn't work as a verb, for one thing. I've never heard people talk about someone being 'civilly partnered', people just say 'married', regardless of the technicalities and regardless of whether or not religion was involved; similarly people usually just say 'husband' or 'wife' instead of 'civil partner' because it's just plain easier. Why should the Church get first pick of the easy words? They didn't invent marriage!

Guest koumouse

do you truly think that Darien is the type of guy to consider marrying Elias? I mean he has been so put back and just plain worried about the fact that he is in love with a man that considering marrying a man might just be beyond his capabilities without some sort of strong nudge from his fellow shipmates? (question mark portraying gentle nudge by me) :ph34r: I like the ninja.

Guest lastofthewalkers
...whereas, as far as i'm concerned, that's already happened. I hate it when people tell me marriage is a 'religious thing' because it isn't, and it wasn't religious originally. It's a social institution. I know a tonne of married atheists, after all. Marriage is about declaring a partnership's status for legal purposes - an easy way of re-assigning next-of-kin status and formalising domestic relationships - and the fact that organised religions have decided to co-opt the institution when it suits their needs to do so is beside the point. I think we need to take the religious connotations back out of the word 'marriage', rather than trying to adopt some kind of cumbersome term like 'civil partnership' - it just doesn't work as a verb, for one thing. I've never heard people talk about someone being 'civilly partnered', people just say 'married', regardless of the technicalities and regardless of whether or not religion was involved; similarly people usually just say 'husband' or 'wife' instead of 'civil partner' because it's just plain easier. Why should the Church get first pick of the easy words? They didn't invent marriage!

damn str8!

ps. hi all this is my first time posting at this site, but i'm usually quiet, you know the strong silent type like james :ph34r::P i like him.

pps. slaps CPL on the back! "Elias! You bastard!"

ppps. that wasn't me but i like him already!

pppps. seriously, good job CPL 0:)

p^5s. i'm done sucking up :P

l8r y'all!