The Little Rascals 20th Anniversary

methodwriter85

So I learned today that the 20th anniversary of the Little Rascals movie was last month (I was surprised because I thought the movie came out in 1995, hmm), and to celebrate, someone got the whole cast back together and did a photo shoot. "O-tay!"

Pretty cool to see them willing to be such good sports about the whole thing. The Little Rascals was a pretty big part of a lot of people's childhoods (I remember watching that movie a ton back during the summer of '95 at a friend's house), and it's nice to see them appreciate the fans of the movie. Awhile back, "Alfalfa", aka Bug Hall, did a video where he recreated singing "You Are So Beautiful" to Darla, but to some big portly male actor. Definitely won me over with that.

Any of you guys remember the movie, or at the very least, taking your kids to see it?

I watched a lot of the originals from the 1920s, 30s, and 40s when I was a kid and so wanted to see what they would do with the gang (though since I was about 15 when the film came out, I guess I was still a kid).

Most of the major plots from the film were basically rewrites of some of the original shorts.  The Soap Box Derby plot, for example, was the short film Hi Neighbour, and they even used the Alfalfa/Darla/Waldo "love triangle".

Nothing particularly wrong with the scriptwriters having done that (given that it had been about 50 years since the last film), but when a new film in a franchise comes out, I expect it to be a new film.

Still, it was a funny film and in many ways it was true to the original series.

Yeah. It put a big smile on my face to see the recreated poster:

cdXqFCV.jpg

"If we were your kids, we'd punish ourselves!"

Seriously though, good on these grown-ups for being willing to laugh a little bit at who they were as little kids. It's funny how Derrick from Full House aka Waldo basically looks exactly the same. (And he's out of the closet, shocking no one.)

Damn it, now I want a "Might Ducks" reunion.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

I was wondering when I saw the headline, Little Rascals 20th Anniversary, because I remembered the reruns of the 1930s shorts from when  I was a kId.  Then I saw you were referring to the movie, which came out after my kids were too old to want to go see it, but then I watched it on TV, or video - don't remember which, with my grandchildren.  It's amazing how that works.  

Edited by Bill W
  • Like 1

Yeah. It put a big smile on my face to see the recreated poster:

cdXqFCV.jpg

"If we were your kids, we'd punish ourselves!"

Seriously though, good on these grown-ups for being willing to laugh a little bit at who they were as little kids. It's funny how Derrick from Full House aka Waldo basically looks exactly the same. (And he's out of the closet, shocking no one.)

Damn it, now I want a "Might Ducks" reunion.

Haha, that's cute. They grew up fiiiiine, I must say.