Whinge Binge Wednesday

It really pisses me off when a computer program tries to think for me and it seems to be happening more and more frequently.  I guess the developers are trying to be clever, but I'm beginning to suspect that it's something more sinister.

The first time I noticed this issue was when I put my collection of mp3 files on the hard drive of my computer and Windows Media Center decided to move them around, rename the folders and put the tunes where it thinks I want to store them.  Yes, I found the settings that let it do that and turned them off; then moved every thing back to where I wanted it (took a couple of days of unplanned effort) but whenever there's an upgrade, settings go back to the default and I have to reconfigure everything again. :pissed:

I got a new cell phone last month and on the way home with it, it literally overheated and started sending out messages.  When I got home, I learned that Verizon Wireless decided to automatically download all of the apps that were installed on my old phone to the new one and in the process, burned through 95% of the month's data allowance in the first hour I had the new phone.  I would have been much happier installing the applications that I wanted on the new phone myself after I was back home and had a Wi-Fi connection available.  That one potentially cost me money and I ended up turning off my data connection for the rest of the month so it didn't automatically buy an overage allocation of data :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

And this one is just creepy.  I have an application that manages all my affinity cards called Keyring.  When I get to a cash register, I open the app, pull up the virtual card for the salesperson to scan.  I don't have to carry around a pocketful of cards for the stores that I do business with so it's really convenient.  Keyring recently had an update which added new functionality.  I got ready to pay for my groceries the other day and when I turned on the phone, Keyring had already launched itself and opened the card for that merchant.  Cyberstalking by an application vendor is almost enough for me to delete the app. :(

Who knows what Windows 10 / Google / Chrome / Firefox / IE are doing for you behind the scenes.  It worries me when I go to a web page and one of the advertisements includes everything that was in my most recent order with that merchant.

If this keeps up, and I'm sure it will, I may have to learn to program my own apps. :P

I'll get off my soapbox now.  Sorry if that went from "Whinge Binge" over to "Rant", but there you go.

• Like 1

All I can say Blake is that do you feel better after that hearty Whinge you just did? Coz that might just win you Whinge Binge Wednesday for this week.

That is annoying though. Technology is great, but not when it does things you don't want it to do.

• Site Moderator

Modern appliances are soooo sloooooow. My expensive new Miele vac takes FIVE SECONDS to start up :angry: Apparently the computer chip has to boot up and then check everything's tickety boo before it deigns to initiate start up. Switch on my old knackered Hoover vac and IMMEDIATE suction :) Okay, it's eardrum bursting noisy, belches clouds of toxic dust and the sucking... sucks, but who cares? The Miele's going back!

You have to wonder about a company that chooses to retain a name the sounds like Mealy. That just has an unpleasant connotation. I have an arsenal of sturdy old antiques here to call on. Kirby, Hoover, Electrolux ("Electrolux. It really sucks." That was actually their slogan for years. LOL), but my most used vacuum is my Oreck. It's lightweight and it'll suck up anything. I've got to cut open the bag to see if my signet ring is in there. I can't find it anywhere.  lmao

The most definite winner for WBW this week has to be Blake for actually getting on his soapbox and venting. That's whinging to the new extreme.

I know I'm early this week for this but it's Wednesday where I am so deal with it.

My whinge this week is going to be about the friends I have who are the who-needs-enemies-when-you've-got-friends-like-that type. They're actually good friends to be with, but recently, I'm pissed off with them. There was a funeral yesterday for a person who was well known in our church. They got to leave school midday to go, but I couldn't as mum said it was quote 'too complicated' for her to write a note while the rest would take care of itself. So my friends teased me about staying at school rather than scoffing down custard squares and pies at the 'light refreshments' part of the funeral which everyone loves. The jokes were tolerable at first, but began to bug me like hell after a while.

so that's my whinge. Now it's your turn!

• Site Moderator

The most definite winner for WBW this week has to be Blake for actually getting on his soapbox and venting. That's whinging to the new extreme.

I know I'm early this week for this but it's Wednesday where I am so deal with it.

My whinge this week is going to be about the friends I have who are the who-needs-enemies-when-you've-got-friends-like-that type. They're actually good friends to be with, but recently, I'm pissed off with them. There was a funeral yesterday for a person who was well known in our church. They got to leave school midday to go, but I couldn't as mum said it was quote 'too complicated' for her to write a note while the rest would take care of itself. So my friends teased me about staying at school rather than scoffing down custard squares and pies at the 'light refreshments' part of the funeral which everyone loves. The jokes were tolerable at first, but began to bug me like hell after a while.

so that's my whinge. Now it's your turn!

Maybe vou need to expand on that. I don't understand why it's complicated to write a note.

Of course you can punish her for not writing the note by having those friends ask her what she had against 'Poor Person X' that she wouldn't let you go to their funeral. Or ask if you've all joined some strange cult that celebrates death in an extremely bizarre and unnatural way.

On another note, you're 16 and can't forge your parent's signatures yet? My handwriting has always been horrible (So bad that at times I can't read it.), but I could do an excellent copy of my mother's signature. She knew I could do it and would even let me sign checks for her.  She thought it was funny. I was lucky or maybe unlucky enough that I always got my way, so forging notes was unnecessary.

• Like 1

Okay super speedy WBW today.

I win again coz nobody's gonna whinge.

my whinge this week is that I've got all this crap to do at schoo and the mock exams are coming up in like 2 weeks and I haven't really started properly revising and arrrrghhh.

Yeah so that's my whinge. Tell me yours to win

Okay super speedy WBW today.

I win again coz nobody's gonna whinge.

my whinge this week is that I've got all this crap to do at schoo and the mock exams are coming up in like 2 weeks and I haven't really started properly revising and arrrrghhh.

Yeah so that's my whinge. Tell me yours to win

I am going to get my permanent crown put on my tooth today at the dentist.

*cries*