2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Trekspertise-Gay In Trek

Celethiel

Bisexuals females, plenty in Star Trek, but openly Gay couples, none.

There was no official Canon mention of a gay couple in any Star Trek series. Man on Man sex is sadly lacking as well

George Takei, while openly gay, was portrayed as a heterosexual (Confirmed with the Movie Star Trek Generations with his daughter) :(

I think I prefer shows like Babylon 5 more, where sexuality is less a topic of the week and just a seamless integration (though, they should have kept Delenn as a male as JMS had planned, it would have made Sheridan's love story so much more rewarding for me). Still, we got Susan Ivanova, a badass lesbian with real character and development that Star Trek never ventured to go, except for one off episodes or the mirror universe (eek!)

That's why I bought Babylon 5 complete series versus any of the Star Trek; though I liked DS9 most out of all of them, they never could go beyond a certain mold.

it's interesting that lesbian relationships are so much more widely accepted than gay ones, no matter the genre.  What's up with that?  :huh:

is it that hetero men find it arousing and hetero women are more accepting?  I've heard that, but it's likewise interesting how many gay men have horrible relationships with their mothers while maintaining ok ones with their fathers.  I wonder if there are any statistics on that...

it's interesting that lesbian relationships are so much more widely accepted than gay ones, no matter the genre.  What's up with that?  :huh:

is it that hetero men find it arousing and hetero women are more accepting?  I've heard that, but it's likewise interesting how many gay men have horrible relationships with their mothers while maintaining ok ones with their fathers.  I wonder if there are any statistics on that...

in tv shows, the father mother thing? because in my case, I had a horrible relationship with my father and a better one with my mother... even though she kind of dropped her kids like a bad apple... -_-

also Most likely this is the truth, many hetero men LIKE lesbian relationships... and remember many of the makers of say Star Trek, are Hetero Males. (honestly when i saw the video, i thought this)... I don't know about Hetero women being More "tolerant" in it....

Edited by Celethiel

Kind of off topic and I'm not gay, so maybe I shouldn't try and speculate, but anyway...

I think lesbian relationships are less threatening to society and perhaps straight men specifically since they pose no threat to the world order. A couple or group of women with no men present is viewed as simply waiting for a guy to come along. If they happen to "entertain" themsrlves while waiting it's no big deal. Nothing a good f**k can't "correct". I can't tell you how many times I've been with a group of female friends and a guy walks up and seriously asks "What are you doing here all alone?"

So female interaction doesn't really count, unless it's for his arousal (which I think is also a reason for acceptance)... A bit harshly put, I know, but sometimes the straight male norm is so clear it almost hurts to watch.

• Like 1